• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver from usa

jacobkenn

I am new to silver have lots of Britannias and want to add somthing diffrent.

My boss going to new york next week for his wifes 50th bday now while out there his getting her a ring now where he plans on getting it from across the street is bulliontradingllc ive asked him to pick me up some liberty's and some maples no more the 20 oz his agreed but the last thing i want is to stitch him up at customs at either end.

If he dont declaire them and they are found  any idea what would happen and if he does declaire them will it just be standard vat 

https://bulliontradingllc.com/

Thanks jay 

The Maples are current govt issue coins and have a face value of $5 Canadian Dollars so I would not bother declaring but if you have to you go with this as your declaration.  I have done this with gold coins in the past and since you have silver I think you are under anyway even at intrinsic value,

He could potentially get a nasty surprise if they discover the ring and the coins. You are allowed goods up to the value of £390 when entering the UK from a country outside of the EU. Goods would include the ring, the coins and anything else he purchases there to bring back. Bullion coins are valued at what they cost to buy - not by face value. Your 20oz would cover most of his allowance so with the ring factored in he would almost certainly be well over the threshold and liable to report and pay VAT or else face the consequences if he gets pulled aside and the goods discovered.

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu

Questioning, receipt left in luggage, etc - its unlikely someone would travel overseas with a ring then bring it back - most people I suspect would let it slip once questioning and scrutiny began. I don't know how far they'd go with it and what they could do if they suspect but can't prove what they suspect. Either way though the rules are pretty clear so if one wanted to follow the rules it would be best to declare or take your chances.

I fly to Canada one to two times a year and I am always frustrated by these limits as there is a lot I'd like to bring back but just don't feel it is worth the risk. It is tempting because I've never been stopped but knowing the kind of luck I have in life generally the time I'd get stopped would be the time I decided to just say f**k it and bring in a bag full of silver 😋

He could say it's his "emotional support" silver stack - he just cannot fly anywhere without it?

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2019/01/29/emotional-support-alligator/2711872002/

Jokes aside, no matter how great a mate the boss is I would never contemplate this. It is highly unlikely anything goes wrong but if it does... 

Besides rule number one of stacking - never tell anyone you are stacking.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Thanks for all the replys 

I am not going to put him in this position 

Regarding the ring he has said he will throw away the box and receipt and she will wear it on way back 

He thinks he would be very unlucky to get stoped for this 

Thanks again for all the replys 

31 minutes ago, jacobkenn said:

Thanks for all the replys 

I am not going to put him in this position 

Regarding the ring he has said he will throw away the box and receipt and she will wear it on way back 

He thinks he would be very unlucky to get stoped for this 

Thanks again for all the replys 

Yeah he should be safe enough with that

7 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Where is it much better?

America is quite a bit better for stacking precious metals. We don't have the VAT or the import restrictions/tariffs. I'm amazed that anyone stacks silver in Britain, but I learned a lot on this forum as to how you do it.

2 hours ago, Bimetallic said:

America is quite a bit better for stacking precious metals. We don't have the VAT or the import restrictions/tariffs. I'm amazed that anyone stacks silver in Britain, but I learned a lot on this forum as to how you do it.

Yes I thought you would be talking about the US. It is much better for stacking tax wise but what about these stories you hear of motorists being stopped by the police for no good reason and having their cash/property confiscated?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

6 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Yes I thought you would be talking about the US. It is much better for stacking tax wise but what about these stories you hear of motorists being stopped by the police for no good reason and having their cash/property confiscated?

Where have you heard of this happening? In the US? 

Traffic police in the southern states especially were using the laws of civil forfeiture/civil asset forfeiture/civil seizure to confiscate cash from motorists stopped for minor traffic violations.

These laws were supposed to be used against drug runners/dealers and other organised crime whwn evidence was hard to come by. Essentially the onus was on the person stopped to prove they came by the money legitimately.

It was a money making scheme cooked up by the police that seems to have been curtailed recently with a couple of judicial decisions that gave the money back to some individuals falsely stopped.

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Traffic police in the southern states especially were using the laws of civil forfeiture/civil asset forfeiture/civil seizure to confiscate cash from motorists stopped for minor traffic violations.

These laws were supposed to be used against drug runners/dealers and other organised crime whwn evidence was hard to come by. Essentially the onus was on the person stopped to prove they came by the money legitimately.

It was a money making scheme cooked up by the police that seems to have been curtailed recently with a couple of judicial decisions that gave the money back to some individuals falsely stopped.

I live in the southwestern US where drug and human trafficking is a big problem, and I've never heard of this being an issue. That sounds like things that happen in Mexico. Though yes if you are arrested, not just stopped, you can have things seized by the state if it's related to a crime committed.

8 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

I live in the southwestern US where drug and human trafficking is a big problem, and I've never heard of this being an issue. That sounds like things that happen in Mexico. Though yes if you are arrested, not just stopped, you can have things seized by the state if it's related to a crime committed.

I saw several reported incidents of police doing detailed searches of cars and confiscating money. Innocent drivers just going about their business and not arrested.

There are many vids on youtube about civil asset forfeiture.

And notice the word "asset" as opposed to cash.

It looks like some of this may be changing as SCOTUS have an upcoming case about it.

To me it just seems like legal theft, Some speed-trap towns have K9s trained to smell cash and 40% of their funding comes from "asset" seizure.

Another American who has resided in the southeast and south central US for over 40 years and have not heard/read anything like this. Have also driven a bit around the US alone or with family with no such experience. A lot safer than when I lived in Southeast Asia.

2 minutes ago, trozau said:

Another American who has resided in the southeast and south central US for over 40 years and have not heard/read anything like this. Have also driven a bit around the US alone or with family with no such experience. A lot safer than when I lived in Southeast Asia.

Have a look on youtube it`s fascinating.

Just seeing YT videos is NOT enough. You do not know the context/circumstance why they merited being stopped and assets confiscated. Why drive around with large amounts of cash? That would be suspicious anywhere in the world.

There are too many vids up about it for it not to be a thing. I agree some YT vids are not enough so google around. I spent an afternoon doing such and found the subject to be very interesting it can take you down many roads speedtrap towns, crooked cops, crooked towns, cops breaking cars for parts that have been seized, sheriff departments that have so much cash they have to spend it on military weapons and all other kind of things. It may make for an interesting sunday afternoon.

This is why I never comment on another country's politics here. As much as we think we know about each other, we do not. We just learned that the Brits believe that American police makes illegal car stops to steal our cash. I mean, it's ridiculous, but they believe that. Americans believe that all Brits have bad teeth, eat Indian food everyday, and brawl at soccer games just because it's the thing to do at soccer games. That is false! Not all Brits are like that, most are, about 98.7865% to be exact, but not all.

Archived