• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Possible fake 1913 Sovereign Sydney

Kowloon88

Hi all,

Long time lurker here. I recently started to buy much older Sovereigns instead of newly minted ones.

I picked up a 1913 Sovereign from a reputable dealer (HGM). The Sovereign in question appears to have unusually high rims, which makes it thicker.

The diameter also is larger compared to my 1911/1912/pre-decimal QE Sovereigns. Unfortunately, I do not have calipers on hand.

The coin would not fit through the slot of a brass Victorian Sovereign scale. Forgot to note whether it was too big for the platter, as I tested it on someone else’s scale. Weight is bang on 8g on my kitchen scales.

Please would any of the experienced members here help figure out whether this Sovereign looks genuine?

The only difference I can see on the strike of the coin is the blobby plume (less distinguishable waves) on the helmet of St George.

I asked HGM about the above, but they merely stated that they weigh and test all their coins. They mentioned that some coins may be thinner due to more wear. I have about 8 Sovereigns from mixed years, and this is the only one that stands out due to the thickness and diameter.

Thanks for looking!

https://imgur.com/gallery/nVwFSjt

3RWlFeB.jpg

H50H7wo.jpg

brRFbGL.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Archived