• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Kilo Bar

footram

Hi Guys,

Putting together a purchase, initially I was going to put 100% of my funds into gold sovereigns but due to the current price of silver I wondered if it isn't worth investing in a 1kg bar while I am at it just to keep it slightly diverse. 

The main issue is VAT, which adds 20% to the cost which is already touching £40 above spot. Now granted I would get a massive kick out of owning a kilo bar of silver, but financially speaking is this wise/is this the cheapest way for me to purchase silver? As large an amount as possible at once? 

I am very new to spending large amounts of money on metals and would appreciate any advice I can get. 

Taking my suggestion from the gold section ?

Personally I would stay clear of kilo bars for now ( Arshi excluded as he does offer great prices ) [ when you can for the same price buy coins ] and either buy one ounce coins or maybe consider a 5 oz or 10oz Perth Mint or even a 10oz Queen's Beast.
There is quite a stunning coin out at 10oz called the 2018 Valiant - have a look

image.png.f13314ce40d681797ffb10ddaec5dc01.pngimage.thumb.png.0b73345413ea350128094d4a2998436d.png

Just now, Pete said:

Taking my suggestion from the gold section ?

Personally I would stay clear of the kilo bar for now and either buy one ounce coins or maybe consider a 5 oz or 10oz Perth Mint or even a 10oz Queen's Beast.
There is quite a stunning coin out at 10oz called the 2018 Valiant - have a look

image.png.f13314ce40d681797ffb10ddaec5dc01.pngimage.thumb.png.0b73345413ea350128094d4a2998436d.png

Don't you know it ;)

Been looking around for silver as your words seemed to have rung true. I guess you have pegged me as a lover for the St George and the Dragon design then eh?

Added 0 minutes later...
Just now, JunkBond said:

Be wary of milkspot with coins, this is why my silver is all bars.

I drift towards bars with silver because I love the big fat round bars, and also very handy door stops at a pinch.

Just now, JunkBond said:

Welcome to the joys of PM's... decisions, decisions... 😂

I have never changed my mind on so many things so quickly in my life. All gold. No Gold. Some gold, some silver. Bars, coins, bit of both, neither. I love it.

1 minute ago, footram said:

I have never changed my mind on so many things so quickly in my life. All gold. No Gold. Some gold, some silver. Bars, coins, bit of both, neither. I love it.

Yes, it's a journey. 👍

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Journey it is, but for me it is more of an ADDICTION and I seem to be requiring a frequent fix.

Worse addictions. I used to be hooked on mechanical keyboards. Now THAT is dangerous. 

What can I say, I live life fast.

1 minute ago, footram said:

What can I say, I live life fast.

Be very careful - blink at the wrong time and you will have missed it !!

PS - I am familiar with some parts of Scotland.
Where are you based near  - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, North Pole ??

Just now, Pete said:

Be very careful - blink at the wrong time and you will have missed it !!

PS - I am familiar with some parts of Scotland.
Where are you based near  - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, North Pole ??

A shire like part of the Country known as the Kingdom of Fife. Golf, students and complicated family trees if you scuse my meaning.

Just now, footram said:

A shire like part of the Country known as the Kingdom of Fife. Golf, students and complicated family trees if you scuse my meaning.

I went to St Andrews University so I did once upon a time know this town rather well ( or should I say the bars ).
Strolled the golf courses and the famous "Chariots" beach.
Some years ago as they were still flying Vulcans and EE Lightning jets out of Leuchars stopping lectures due to the thunder of take-offs.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I went to St Andrews University so I did once upon a time know this town rather well ( or should I say the bars ).
Strolled the golf courses and the famous "Chariots" beach.
Some years ago as they were still flying Vulcans and EE Lightning jets out of Leuchars stopping lectures due to the thunder of take-offs.

Small world, I am from that neck of Fife, coastal. Born and raised :) Good choice of Uni ;) 

18 minutes ago, footram said:

If you're not careful, you'll be wanting a gold bar next 😉

Archived