• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Large coins or bars/price of Silver

Jackmaio

Hi there,

I´m a new silver investor and I see so much info it´s hard to put up a strategy.

Recently I felt tempted to buy larger coins like the 10 oz Kookaburra as they look so godd.

My question is if it´s wise to do so? 

This comes with me next topic, the price of silver.

If we are just going for the increase of value why not buying bars? Is it because it´s harder to sell?

I read some articles saying the prices could go up to 130 dollars an ounce.

Do you guys think it´s likely to happen?

Thanks

Forgive me if I just link it, I just put together some information in another thread.

Specifically to your questions: it depends on what you are trying to achieve. What are the scenarios you are investing in silver for? What do you think may happen in the future? Who do you think will you be selling to?

More specifically: I am personally feeling that bars are a little less liquid or at least more unusual than coins, especially on the private market. Then I do not believe that silver will explode to ten times it's current value. I do think it possible that it will double of triple over the next decades. What I'm sure of is - it will retain it's value over a potential ecomonic breakdown and currency change.

Tis all personal preference at the end of the day.  I try to buy 10 oz coins and bars as close to spot as possible for stacking, but i'm always happy to pay a small premium for something that will gain a little extra numismatic value while I'm holding it. 1 oz'ers do nothing for me, just ugly plastic tubes for the most part, but 10 oz coins - lovely job!

Its a lot easier to sell one ten ouncer than ten ones as well...  B) !!

US$130 an ounce? All depends on how long market suppression is maintained. Don't hold your breath.

Hi,

My intention is to save value for the future as I have no intention to sell for a long time and I'm hoping to get a good return in the future. In the other hand I like the looks of silver, more than gold to be honest. Obviously, I would love to be able to save on gold too but not for the time being. Ultimately, the "excitement" of physically owning precious metals is real and that's why I end up looking at Pandas, Lunars etc that I know I might lose money if I have to sell. For now I just need to focus on government minted and worlwide known coins and leave the numismatic/look aside. At least for now until I can treat myself....

I personally agree with you that the base of the stack should be governmental bullion coins.

But there is nothing wrong with getting one or two of the pretty pieces as well 😉

There is also nothing wrong with taking the premium hit on one ouncers. But I will let the ten ounce investors of the forum answer that. If I'm recalling BYB's videos correctly, there are a good number of 10 ounce coin purchases going on...

And I know what you are saying about the excitement of ownership. There are days when I am looking at my stack and thinking my exit strategy will be "keeep them", "hiiide them awayyy"

Preciousss 😀

32 minutes ago, KevinG said:

You have to be careful with bars because of VAT.  In that case you could go for coin bars since they have a face value they are cheaper.

True, I've noticed on the sites who buy from you a big difference on the price they sell when It comes to bars. If you re sell coins the diff is smaller.

Bars are charged at full VAT ( 20% in the UK, 19% in Germany for example ).

Coins are charged full VAT in the UK but differential VAT in some EU countries - Germany, Belgium where many of us stackers place our silver orders.
This means that a bar per ounce will probably cost you more than a nice coin in the same weight.

There are some really beautiful bars with fine engraving that might be worth paying a little extra for but poured bars or "bricks" seem overpriced when compared to coins like Perth Mint Kooks etc. However there is a good market for these poured bars and some people seem quite prepared to pay over the odds ( my personal opinion ) for them.

At the end of the day do you want a nice shiny 10oz, or maybe a kilo, coin in your hand or something that looks like a lump of dull silvery metal ? 
The price will often be the deciding factor.

On 27/01/2019 at 17:17, Pete said:

Bars are charged at full VAT ( 20% in the UK, 19% in Germany for example ).

Coins are charged full VAT in the UK but differential VAT in some EU countries - Germany, Belgium where many of us stackers place our silver orders.
This means that a bar per ounce will probably cost you more than a nice coin in the same weight.

There are some really beautiful bars with fine engraving that might be worth paying a little extra for but poured bars or "bricks" seem overpriced when compared to coins like Perth Mint Kooks etc. However there is a good market for these poured bars and some people seem quite prepared to pay over the odds ( my personal opinion ) for them.

At the end of the day do you want a nice shiny 10oz, or maybe a kilo, coin in your hand or something that looks like a lump of dull silvery metal ? 
The price will often be the deciding factor.

I´m really tempted to buy a 10 oz Kookaburra, such a beautiful fat coin. 

Archived