• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

British or USA Gold-- What is your preference?

rivellis

12 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Why can’t we like both...I have a few 1oz gold coins from both sides of the pond, and like them all...that said, I do think the US have the more attractive coins on the 1oz front.

Regarding the smaller fractional coins, then the UK kicks the Americans ass big time me thinks.. for reasons already alluded to in previous posts...mainly history.(now climbing into my bunker)

The photo below ain’t great (it’s too sunny!) but make up your own mind.

BRITANNIA FANS....I have made a deliberate mistake in the photos of the Britannia...do you know what it is???

0CDF561F-B7B2-4F53-B18E-2B0D2B34D2B0.thumb.jpeg.3bf01b445e13652e04145cb159b88d2a.jpeg

I love the Gold Buffalo Coins. One of my favorites along with Gold Pandas.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

@BullionBuyerHey...you might be a newbie but you know your Britannia’s ...I take great pleasure in giving you your first community reputation point!

For the less expert, established members I will explain why the photos are misleading..

Both are 2017 Britannia 1oz gold coins, but the photo on top is of the reverse of the limited edition 30th anniversary coin. The obverse underneath is of the standard Britannia.

The obverse for the 30th edition should look like this:-

5E6292B0-E4D2-4CC6-9242-1130EC189127.thumb.jpeg.5fe66e488d292bf641650a5e2f9af75f.jpeg

Glad to have you on the forum.

Thank you Kookaburracollector. Though I am new to this forum I have been collecting the Britannia for a little while but am now looking to diversify and improve my knowledge on other Gold coins.

3 minutes ago, BullionBuyer said:

Thank you Kookaburracollector. Though I am new to this forum I have been collecting the Britannia for a little while but am now looking to diversify and improve my knowledge on other Gold coins.

Check out this thread..plenty of gold coins to look at..

20 French francs advice please (sorry it’s not a link) in a hurry...

On 27/01/2019 at 14:48, Seasider said:

Back to the original question, from a design point of view I think the Indian Head $10 is my favourite - of course I have only ever seen pictures of it.

What do you think of the new Liberty head? The last one was an African American Liberty head, design changes every 2 years i think it was, so next should be this year. Also like the Buffalo and Indian head, though i would prefer the Indian head a little more smaller

I have not heard a thing about a new liberty. The 2017 was the last design I saw. The Indian head has been a favorite design of mine since childhood. And I agree with you---the re-do of the design had an opportunity to adjust the portrait-to-field scale.

2 minutes ago, rivellis said:

I have not heard a thing about a new liberty. The 2017 was the last design I saw. The Indian head has been a favorite design of mine since childhood. And I agree with you---the re-do of the design had an opportunity to adjust the portrait-to-field scale.

I'm sure i read somewhere when there was so much controversy about the African American effigy that it was changing every 2 years, maybe the American  boys can chip in with this.

37 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

I'm sure i read somewhere when there was so much controversy about the African American effigy that it was changing every 2 years, maybe the American  boys can chip in with this.

Here's the coin with the African American Liberty. Some like it, some don't. The eagle, I like. The Liberty, too PC-motivated for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.d0a2cf4a25d85aad6e0b43564bac7ac9.jpeg

The 2009 UHR Double Eagle based on the original St Gaudens dies/design, I like and bought for my wife and kids.

image.jpeg.df771dcb039c19ec0836ed8ef638c074.jpeg

16 minutes ago, trozau said:

Here's the coin with the African American Liberty. Some like it, some don't. The eagle, I like. The Liberty, too PC-motivated for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.d0a2cf4a25d85aad6e0b43564bac7ac9.jpeg

Everything is PC these days, personally i really liked this design, i did buy one but the quality was terrible, scratches all over, i just gave up and sent it back after i was seeing YT video after video with the same problems. Am i correct in thinking there is a design change this year?

2 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Everything is PC these days, personally i really liked this design, i did buy one but the quality was terrible, scratches all over, i just gave up and sent it back after i was seeing YT video after video with the same problems. Am i correct in thinking there is a design change this year?

The series is supposed to be minority race American women portrayed as Liberty (African American first). Don't know which race is next. Don't know time intervals of release.

2 minutes ago, trozau said:

The series is supposed to be minority race American women portrayed as Liberty (African American first). Don't know which race is next. Don't know time intervals of release.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/us/black-lady-liberty-us-coin.html yep, its every 2 years, next should theoretically be due in April, the first was April 6th 2017

I read on the Mint site that the current "Sac" coin will have a new reverse with the theme "Native Americans having to do with the space program. 2019 rollout. At first I considered it odd but in context with the 50-year moon landing, I understood.

26 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Thats much better than the usual US design.  Though its a sketch, how much will translate to the final product. 

The series is High Relief gold coins and silver medals so I expect the final product will be along the same lines as the 2017 African American Liberty. UHR (Ultra High Relief) are exceptional and takes much effort and that is probably why the US Mint has NOT done a follow up after the 2009 UHR Double Eagle.

Archived