• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Help

Mccabe215

I am probably the least qualified person here to verify a fake from a fortune on sovereigns, however,if I were a betting man (which I am) I would be sorry to say, the coin you bought has doubtful parentage.

see pics below..F7CA2A63-5813-40D5-992F-EF8CED8B9615.thumb.png.2586e89cbd5d21a00f3b2a550e198073.png14D8A0F1-2DB9-43CE-A752-998FF49E91E0.thumb.png.8f9adf27cd05cecbedca23112168e6ac.png

Your coin vs Royal mint coin...so sorry! Hope I am wrong ..

the photos are not clear enough but to be honest it looks more fake than genuine especially now that we know you only paid £185 for it.

if I were you I would try to sell the coin to a dealer as soon as possible, Hatton garden metals would pay you £228 for a sovereign today.

if it is geniune they will pay you the money and you've made a good profit and don't need to be worried about it anymore, if it is fake then you've already lost that £185 anyways( hopefully you will get it back from Paypal ) and the coin won't end up in someone else's collection either.

here is a picture of my 2018 full sovereign that I bought from Sharp pixley .

68E0ACFA-91D3-4ACB-9371-C57567F72771.png

With sites and suppliers like the below it is easy to get caught out  

I recently saw a guy selling clearly “replica” Morgan dollars at a car boot sale - I guess from a site like this

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/Britannia.html?searchType=mainSearch&keywords=Britannia&shadingAction=&channel=direct

Not my circus, not my monkeys

He was selling them for a tenner a go and I told him they were clearly fake and artificially aged - he was not happy with me at all.  Probably because he had perhaps 100 in a cardboard box to sell!

I don’t often see Morgan dollars for sale that often, so a fella in a tracksuit, selling 100 in a cardboard box along side a lot of “pre-owned” power tools definitely stood out as dodgy!

8 hours ago, dicker said:

I don’t often see Morgan dollars for sale that often, so a fella in a tracksuit, selling 100 in a cardboard box along side a lot of “pre-owned” power tools definitely stood out as dodgy!

I doubt it but I hope you contacted the local trading standards these assholes need stopping they can ruin a new collector if they find out they had a dirty stack.

I certainly did!  I feel very strongly that people will get ripped off when these enter the buying chain.   

They already have their work cut out with fake trainers, clothes etc and will add it to the list apparently. 

Just google replica Morgan Dollar to see the extent of the problem 😞

Being new to the forum myself I appreciate what you mean about taking pictures of coins. What I have found though is if you place a plane piece of paper (or an envelope) on a window seal with just natural light, don't use any zoom (most phone zooms just blur pictures). And let it auto focus on the coin. That way the people who know will have a better chance to look at the coin and give you their opinion. But as you say if you have your doubts anyway then for piece of mind get it tested.

Archived