• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Help

Mccabe215

Post the best quality photos you can - there are very experienced people on the forum who will take a look. That would be the first and easiest thing to do for starters.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

55 minutes ago, Mccabe215 said:

Hey everyone, I was wondering if someone can help me? I’ve recently bought a 2018 Sovereign at a cracking price online but when it arrives I want to make sure that it’s real, is there any easy tests to do to make sure it’s real?

What was your price compared to the spot price of the fine gold content remembering the coin is 22ct and not 24ct gold ?
If sold below spot I would be very surprised and suspicious as well.
On the other hand by the nature of your post it looks as if you are new to this PM thing so what you state was a cracking price might not be if you don't know where the best deals are to be had.
Another concern is did the seller know the coin was a full sovereign or maybe it is a half ?
Unless you know the difference I have seen this error made on eBay.

Hi all, thanks for the advice! It was bought through Shpock, the buying and selling app for £185 which I couldn’t say no to. I do have my reservations but I am covered by PayPal and the sovereign does have some back story. It was won through this website below, and I have also added a photo what he sent me. As the seller doesn’t have any interest in gold he needs the money. I will post a couple up close photos as soon as I receive it. Happy Hunting!

http://sovereigndraw.co.uk/

DC77DE61-CAF5-407B-B213-AA6128F022FD.png

So, first up, check diameter, thickness and weight. If they all tally then it's a very good sign that it's probably gold and not some nine-karat replica. Post high-resolution pictures here and those with more experience might be able to flag if there's anything obviously wrong looking about it

6 hours ago, Mccabe215 said:

Hi all, thanks for the advice! It was bought through Shpock, the buying and selling app for £185 which I couldn’t say no to. I do have my reservations but I am covered by PayPal and the sovereign does have some back story. It was won through this website below, and I have also added a photo what he sent me. As the seller doesn’t have any interest in gold he needs the money. I will post a couple up close photos as soon as I receive it. Happy Hunting!

http://sovereigndraw.co.uk/

Take photos of the coin front and back - close up - the price is very low so let's see this coin in good light and in focus.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Hi all, the coin arrived today, just took a couple photos, never realised how difficult it is to take a up close shot so I’ve done my best. The size of it seems perfect, the weight I can’t get a exact measurement as my scales of only to 0.1 of a G (that’s next on the shopping list) but looks good. Any thoughts? 

84ABF309-670A-404D-804E-F606BE9B8F0A.jpeg

82AB92C6-723A-45F7-A57E-EB0072910F01.jpeg

3B180FFD-E192-4014-B509-38702025BBFE.jpeg

The first obvious thing is the huge variation of colour in the pictures. I know it can change a lot depending on the light settings but I still find it striking. The photo with the gold colour looks too golden (and not enough copper-red) for a modern sovereign to me but I better leave it to more experienced stackers.

Done an Archimedes test on mine. Probably not worth the fuss for one coin, if you are not going to buy more, just in case, some things you will certainly be able to relate to:

https://thesilverforum.com/topic/18191-fake-half-sovereign/

1 minute ago, silenceissilver said:

The first obvisous thing is the huge variation of colour in the pictures. I know it can change a lot depending on the light settings but I still find it striking. The photo with the gold colour looks to golden (and not enough like copper) for a modern sovereign to me but I better leave it to more experienced stackers.

Done an Archimedes test on mine. Probably not worth the fuss for one coin, if you are not going to buy more, just in case, some things you will certainly be able to relate to:

https://thesilverforum.com/topic/18191-fake-half-sovereign/

Yeah that’s the lighting, the second two photos had a secondary light source at 12 o’clock in comparison to the first was just natural. 

22 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

The 2018 doesn’t look right......... but I may be wrong

Now that you say it, it doesn't on the silver colour photo - but it does on the gold colour photo, It should be less bold at the top and bottom of the 0 - as it is in one photo. At the other one it seems the boldness doesn't change through the 0. This can't be explained by the light quality, can it? It's as if it was different coins

3 hours ago, Mccabe215 said:

The size of it seems perfect, the weight I can’t get a exact measurement as my scales of only to 0.1 of a G

well what does it weigh on these scales? and can you weigh any other coins of known weight?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived