• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

COA's - The lower the number the better the coin ???

silversurf

Has anyone ever been put off by buying a coin with a really high COA ? I recently had the chance to put this theory to to the test. I put two coins in for grading, both 2005, both similar size, a 1/10 Brit and a Half Sov, and both conserved.

20190119_195141.thumb.jpg.9c1b5c9f81ca4e248f8645bd24798764.jpg

The results surprised me, don't get me wrong both got great grades and I'm not disappointed but if anything I thought it would be the other way round.

Is there any reason why ? 

Just to add to the confusion I have a 2005 Sov graded at 70 with a COA in 9000's that wasn't conserved. Lots of head scratching.... Does anyone have a 70 higher than 9598 in anything ?

So for what it's worth,  in my experience dont be put off by a high COA go for it and if you're grading enjoy the highs and lows of that rollercoaster ride and hope the grading gods are smiling.

So really not worth paying any extra premium for a low cert, not that I have, it could be the 1st coin or the 2000th coin off the press and bears no relation whatsoever to the cert. The cert just being a numerical reference to the number of coins minted.

I guess its "nice" to have a lower cert as you can feel that it was an early one, or one of the first. in reality i usually find if im first to order i get the highest certs such as with the paddingtons i ordered at midnight and got some seriously high numbers. ive also had coins with no cert and they just sent me one separately so they dont really tie in together. I have a 1/10 thats a 0005 cert, 0004 is pretty nice to have too.

Judging by the views expressed, I think it might be worth sending an email to RM just to see what the procedure is. I agree a low cert has kudos but is it actually what it is. Some adverts I've seen massively increase the price because of a low COA.

Archived