• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Storage system for my collection/ stack?

intelinside

Edit  I’d teally like to stay organized and itemized with all the silver stack  with my obsession it’s become just crazy and different capsules, slips, paper bags etc filling the safe is just so random and I’d like to track measure what I have  as well as protect them inexpensively —

Hey guys I was wondering if you guys have suggestions for storing my collection

It's 30% morgan silver dollars about 80 of them that are in old plastic tubes that are old and I'd like to put some of them in capsules or something better to look at

I have 30% in silver bars 10 oz etc

And a lot of junk silver like 30%

Also like 10%  of collection in newer coins: ASEs,and other government bullion i'd like to do capsules or perhaps a book with plastic slips where you can store them like a stamp collection?

How do you guys store your silver larger bars?  I was thinking in canvas bags or wood box or something?

Then for the junk I was thinking plastic tubes?  Anyone have links to 'cheaper' tubes that are PVC free and good quality

And for the capsules I like the youtube video ones but on APMEX the'yre like $1-$2 per capsule and I defintiely think that's too high!

Thanks for tips guys

I am storing all of my coins - except proofs - in Schulz "221" series coin albums. I keep the albums inside a large airtight plastic container along with 3M anti-tarnish strips and silica sachets to help prevent tarnishing/spotting. The container is a cake box which I bought at a kitchenware store in the UK called Lakeland. It fits my three albums.

I personally don't like keeping coins in capsules, I would rather be able to organise the coins by type and flip through an album to admire them.

The only exception is proof coins which should not be handled, those I will leave in their original packaging.

I too like albums for my “premium coins”

but I also have a ton of constitutional junk silver. And I wanted to figure out if plastic (non pvc) tubes were good or I was considering storing(and organizing ) with power rolls

i think albums are great for viewing collector coins  I’ll check out that brand thanks man

The paper rolls they sell on amazon for just $10-15 for hundreds of rolls that you can use to store small denominations like constitutional us silvers  in bulk  but I wonder if that was bad for long time archival storage  like could paper lead to damage  acid or allow tarnishing?

If you use slips or flips, or an album with the same, you'll want to put them or the album in an airtight container like @SouthCoastInvestor does. And anti-tarnish strips or bags work well.

For small numbers of items, ziploc bags are quite adequate. I especially like the "snack bag" size, which is smaller than sandwich bags and therefore less flippy-floppy for 2-3 rounds. You could throw an anti-tarnish strip in the bag for good measure, but so far I've found that the bag's seal is enough to keep the contents pristine.

When you think about storage, I recommend thinking about security as well. It would suck if a burglar stole your stack. Here's a brilliant video on how to securely store your stack.

As far as coin capsules are concerned, they're sure to be cheaper on Amazon than from APMEX. APMEX prices aren't competitive for anything, so I recommend avoiding them in favor of dealers like SD Bullion, Silver.com, and BOLD Precious Metals (see my article comparing North American dealer prices for different bullion order scenarios).

Air-tites.com also has lower nominal prices for capsules, typically 55 cents for small orders, 50 cents each for 100 capsules, and 36 cents each for 250. However, they overcharge for shipping, so I'm not clear how their true prices compare to Amazon. You'll have to do the math for your specific volume. The applicable links are:

Small orders: https://www.air-tites.com/Air-Tite_Direct_Fit_Coin_Holders.htm

"Wholesale" orders (100, 250, etc.): https://www.air-tites.com/Wholesale_Direct_Fit_Air-Tite_Coin_Holders.htm

Their shipping charges are alarming, especially this message near the top of their site: "$9.95 Promo Shipping on orders $50 and over!" Ouch! That's pretty much the opposite of a shipping promo, and it makes me wonder what they charge for orders under $50.00. In any case, they're overcharging because it doesn't cost anywhere near that much to ship what they're shipping, especially if they use USPS First Class Package Service. Again, you'll have to do the math for your scenario and compare their total price (in their checkout screen probably) with what you find on Amazon.

https://www.onfireguy.com

I just went through the process of ordering capsules.  They have the same price as air-tites.com for the 25 pack but they had free shipping.

https://www.airtiteholders.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

They are the actual manufacturer of air-tite capsules. If you order over $50 of stuff from them, they ship free.

I order the materials of my 'storage system' in bulk which helps with the relative shipping cost. I would suggest to not take the cheapest materials you can find, but the best fitting. Maybe put the worth of the storage material in relationship to the stored value?

On junk silver - I am storing loose trade coins in small satin bags - same weight in each bag. I have some canvas bags prepared for junk silver coins, should I ever get a larger quantity. I feel that tubes are more for physical protection than accounting and not needed for circulated coins (mind, I do not throw the bags around). Just at these times you may be able to get small bags leftover from christmas.

Of course, bags give another appearance than neatly stacked tubes, so if that is the look you prefer, this idea would not be for you.

I wrap my bars in cloth before stacking them, I got handkerchiefs of the appropriate size, but that is a bit excessive. I am sure you can stack them the way they are, unless you have highly polished stamped bars.

In the german community there is a movement that vacuumizes every single piece (meaning plastic bags and a kitchen vacuumizer/welder). But even that in combination with air dryers and closed containers does not always keep them from tarnishing.

8 hours ago, KevinFlynn said:

I wrap my bars in cloth before stacking them, I got handkerchiefs of the appropriate size, but that is a bit excessive. I am sure you can stack them the way they are, unless you have highly polished stamped bars. Chaturbate Xnxx Tubegalore 

In the german community there is a movement that vacuumizes every single piece (meaning plastic bags and a kitchen vacuumizer/welder). But even that in combination with air dryers and closed containers does not always keep them from tarnishing.

I am putting away the majority of my coins - aside from verifications - in Schulz "221" arrangement coin collections. I keep the collections inside an extensive hermetically sealed plastic holder alongside 3M hostile to discolor strips and silica sachets to help avert discoloring/spotting. The holder is a cake box which I purchased at a kitchenware store in the UK called Lakeland. It accommodates my three collections. 

I for one don't care for keeping coins in containers, I would prefer to have the capacity to sort out the coins by sort and flip through a collection to respect them. 

The main special case is evidence coins which ought not be taken care of, those I will leave in their unique bundling.

On 19/01/2019 at 15:13, Bimetallic said:

As far as coin capsules are concerned, they're sure to be cheaper on Amazon than from APMEX. APMEX prices aren't competitive for anything, so I recommend avoiding them in favor of dealers like SD Bullion, Silver.com, and BOLD Precious Metals (see my article comparing North American dealer prices for different bullion order scenarios).

Air-tites.com also has lower nominal prices for capsules, typically 55 cents for small orders, 50 cents each for 100 capsules, and 36 cents each for 250. However, they overcharge for shipping, so I'm not clear how their true prices compare to Amazon. You'll have to do the math for your specific volume. The applicable links are:

Small orders: https://www.air-tites.com/Air-Tite_Direct_Fit_Coin_Holders.htm

"Wholesale" orders (100, 250, etc.): https://www.air-tites.com/Wholesale_Direct_Fit_Air-Tite_Coin_Holders.htm

Their shipping charges are alarming, especially this message near the top of their site: "$9.95 Promo Shipping on orders $50 and over!" Ouch! That's pretty much the opposite of a shipping promo, and it makes me wonder what they charge for orders under $50.00. In any case, they're overcharging because it doesn't cost anywhere near that much to ship what they're shipping, especially if they use USPS First Class Package Service. Again, you'll have to do the math for your scenario and compare their total price (in their checkout screen probably) with what you find on Amazon.

Awesome thanks.. I think Air tites are more premium and expensive.  Do you knwo if the Coin Safe or Numis Square brands are equally good?  see links below... they are like 1/3 1/2 price

By the way your articles are amazing i'm subscribing

On 20/01/2019 at 01:39, KevinFlynn said:

I wrap my bars in cloth before stacking them, I got handkerchiefs of the appropriate size, but that is a bit excessive. I am sure you can stack them the way they are, unless you have highly polished stamped bars.

For now I'll wrap bars in cloth like u.... I will some day do the vacuum hehe that sounds nice those germans !! smart

On 20/01/2019 at 04:02, pino2000 said:

I for one don't care for keeping coins in containers, I would prefer to have the capacity to sort out the coins by sort and flip through a collection to respect them. 

The main special case is evidence coins which ought not be taken care of, those I will leave in their unique bundling.

Thanks man

I will try different'' systems'  cheaper for my Junk/constitutional US silver and then airtight or other types

I'm thinking of stacking with these square tubes so they don't roll around.  I have abunch of old plastic roll cases that I don't like and they're some what cracked cuz of heaviness. I want "beefy' cases that can store large amoutns of junk/constitutional silver and silver rounds easily.  I like to keep them in good condition Also I wanted to know if the ones below are ACID FREE?

What are your thoughts on CoinSafe brand... they don't mention acid free but I see them  all over amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DE1DYQ?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=83HYWZ40TATGS9ZA3JBV

It says "archival safe" but it doesn't say "acid free"

or NUMIS SQUARE:  https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/numis-square-tubes-large-dollar-size.htm 

What do you think of Numis Square Tubes?

Archived