• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Indian Sovereigns

QStack

Im after a bit of advice on Indian Sovs.

I have some travel planned for later in the year to Indian and the Middle East. I've seen prices in the UK vary from £350 to £500 for the 2018 India sov. If i was to buy in India i could pick one up for around £300 including gold tax which is still about £55 more than a UK 2018 sov.

My question to people who have bought some of these or have seen them is as follows -

1. Are they worth the extra premium over say a UK issued 2018 sov

2. Are they likely to retain the premium on the secondary market when i come to sell at a later date.

3. Where is the best place to pick these up? India or Middle east countries?

Cheers

Yes they are much better than uk 2018 sovereign. And i cant say for sure but i would think you would get the premium back. The strike on last years one was very nice. Ive just got one graded by numi will post pic.s when i get it back. 

1 hour ago, QStack said:

I have some travel planned for later in the year to Indian and the Middle East. I've seen prices in the UK vary from £350 to £500 for the 2018 India sov. If i was to buy in India i could pick one up for around £300 including gold tax which is still about £55 more than a UK 2018 sov.

My question to people who have bought some of these or have seen them is as follows -

2. Are they likely to retain the premium on the secondary market when i come to sell at a later date.

Cheers

I have seen some Tripadvisor stories about the Middle East selling fake versions of these so be careful. Think I saw one about the duty free selling a fake too. 

When I buy Gold in India, I always take to a second shop to test and ask what they would pay... selling fake gold can get these shops in much more trouble so they tend to be more careful than in the ME. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

2 hours ago, QStack said:

Cheers

The 1918I has taken 101 years to achieve some sort of premium, if you plan to live until say 140-150 then yes go for it. Remember, it’s stackers like yourself and others here that are buying, not necessarily the numismatic community, when people say X is worth thousands and the TS community agree then there is a small feeding frenzy, add then the YouTube videos to hype up the price and the world is your oyster 

• QStack changed the title to Indian Sovereigns

They are absolutely stunning for a bullion coin, more Proof Like than real bullion.

I’ve bought mine from this official PAMP outlet, it’s in bit of a grubby area and its not a very inspiring shop when you walk in, but that just about sums up most of the Delhi jewlery shops anyway.. But on the posative side, being one of only 4 official PAMP factory outlets in Delhi they do have the genuin 2018 I Sovs in stock complete with boxes and COA certs. 

The best thing is they had about 60 in stock when I was in there in November, and I spent over an hour looking at every single one with a Loop to pick out the absolute  best one I could get,  which was no easy feat as they are in capsules, which in turn are sealed in the presentation cards with an additional clear protective film over the card for further protection. 😊 (take your own loop).

But one word of warning, they don’t take foreign credit or debit cards in case they get scammed, so you will need to pay with a friends Indian credit card if you can arrange that, or you need to pay cash in Indian Rupees around £275 per Sov. But I’d rather do that and get to pic the coin myself than risk getting a fake one from Dubai Airport which seems to have been happening to people posting on Trip Advisor.

MMTC-PAMP Retail Outlet
Shop No. 2635, 1st Floor,
Nirman Bhawan, Bank Street, Karol Bagh
Delhi/NCR
Pincode:110005 India
Phone: +91 9582682912+91 11 45402226
E-Mail:pvc.karolbagh@mmtcpamp.com

Here is my one so you can see what you get.

42A66462-2751-4E8A-9B52-7CFEBAF7CC71.jpeg

2F3C6CB4-4C36-4E7C-A4CA-6487E01705DB.jpeg

3835FC56-29DF-4346-86D9-E3F4B185F5AF.jpeg

@Kritika Thanks for the advice and the pics. Think i'll wait until im in India to get them.

What are you planning to do with yours? An addition to your stack or are you getting it graded?

Im planning on getting 3 or 4 as i beleive 2018 is the last year they're licensed to mint them, if im correct?

@QStack I'm not sure what to do with mine, its so perfect I just know it would get a MS70 at NGS, but that would mean taking it out of its mint packaging which I would hate as there are hardly any of these 2018 I about in their complete packaging with the COA's. Most of the ones you see around only come in the mint card's on its own.

If mine had come in just a card I would have graded it in a shot, but now I really don't know if that's the best thing to do, or leave it as it is in my safe deposit box for the next 10 yrs. (or until the Hatton Garden Mob Mk2 break in and nick it :ph34r:).

As to 2018 being the last year, I really don't know, only the Royal Mint would  be able to tell you that and I suspect they will not be splashing that news around in a hurry.

Good luck in India and remember only buy from one of the few official PAMP Retail Outlets in this link, https://www.mmtcpamp.com/products-services/where-to-buy#  I would not risk it with the rest. One interesting thing is, if you do end up in the PAMP Outlet I went to, there is a girl working there who has the most amazing eye sight I have ever come across, she can spot minute flaws on the Sovs (even inside the packaging) with her naked eye in about 2 seconds, which took me ages to see with my x10 mag loop :)

I have graded my one but like you said mine only came with the card. If you got coa and box i would keep it like that but buy another one to grade or swap to grade with your other one. I got 3 last year 2017i but only graded one of them 

• 4 months later...

Archived