• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Touchy subject at the moment. 

After the recent bashing that GS.BE took on the forum for a prolonged time and more recently the forums very own@BackyardBullion , without starting any discussion again. 

I feel that these type of topics are decisive, in bad taste and spoil the ambience of the friendly nature of the forum.  

I frequently visit the forum and it quickly disheartens me to the online abuse on other forums.  I wouldn't want it to be commonplace here.

Are you referring to a thread where a new woman member silver60 asked about GS.be?

i have just read through the thread again. The initial mistake was by Silver60 who knocked back two members who were just being friendly to a new arrival calling her mate and pal. As the forum is probably 95%+ men it would be usual for a newbie to be another 'bloke'.

Then it got slightly carried away and considering the members making the comments did not know the other member, some of the comments were in bad taste. Even i cringed at one or two of them. It was dressing room banter as Donald Trump would call it - there is nothing wrong with that even on the forum but when it is directed at a new member it is bad form. We can do better than that.

What is this about backyard bullion?

I think if people are too sensitive to understand a bit of banter or don’t like disagreements, they probably shouldn’t frequent Internet forums.  This forum, even at the worst I have seen it, is very very very tame in comparison to most!  Even the massive Mumsnet and Moneysavingexpert forums are savage compared to here!

If silver60 was just a single step away from the cliff edge of unfriendliness and from exhibiting a negative reaction to anyone who mistook her for a bloke, (even if done in innocence and by friendly people), she ought to have prewarned folk in her opening post.

5 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

I don't think StackemHigh starting this topic so there could be an extra thread to bash members.

I haven't observed any member bashing on this thread? What exactly do you mean?

3 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

@sixgun

I was bashed a few times on my group order thread, apparently some people think I am part of a huge conspiracy - god knows what kind of conspiracy, but one nevertheless!

For God sake you put in a huge amount of work and time - many members have benefited. Stupid is as stupid does.

On topic....

My opinions are very much that any personal insults, or the like should have zero tolerance.

It is fine for us to have healthy discussions about issues at hand, threads like the ones we had regarding GS.BE are a prime example of what is a great debate. Opinions on both sides coming out about what and how that dealer should do business.

However, people are fickle and often resort to name calling or plain old insults and accusations of impropriety and dishonesty.

In my opinion that is the line. Debate the issues as much as you like, that is good. But start calling names and insults, no thanks. I remember a particular thread about Chards where a certain member called those who supported Chards behaviour a derogatory term. Line was crossed.

Personally I would like to see small (and increasingly larger bans) implemented when members cross those lines. The current strike system is too lenient and does not go far enough to discourage this kind of behaviour.

I loathe bullies and trolls. They are a scourge and should be rooted our and shown the door if needed. There is just no need for it. 

Social media plays a bigger part of out lives day by day and whilst some people might not think calling someone names anonymously online hurts anyone, it actually really does.

Just my 2¢ and I am sure that some of my biggest "fans" would love to call me out on my opinions. Debate me like an adult all day long, spout accusations and insults my way - not so smart.

There was a massive thread before Christmas about GS.BE that got a bit heated then angryish & should we boycott them.  Then the incident that @BackyardBullion was dragged into. 

Don't know if the OP of the GS.BE is a regular here or not. I kind of noticed that a couple of threads recently weren't pleasant. 

I may have missed some if the posts but from what I've seen, this is definitely one of the tamest places on the internet. Granted, some debates become a bit heated but that's the whole point of opposing discussions as people will talk with passion. As long as there aren't insults involved, heated counterpoints should always be accepted.

There was a couple of incidents in the group thread, with one of the individuals apologising when some information was cleared up. 

Apart from the odd narky comment (we all have bad days), the community has been very inviting and welcoming, not to mention incredibly helpful and patient with new members.

I read some of the comments about the person who assumed people were assuming that she was actually male. I live in the North West of the UK and bot sexes get called mate. I didn't read past that so more could have been said outside of what I seen.

So people are overly sensitive and you can't go around trying to please everyone as someone will always have a grumble. 

If the odd one or two overly sensitive newbies get put off and don't return, then I don't think that's a bad thing.  If they stick around people will always be wondering when they are going to kick off next at something minor.  This forum is so laid back and tame that the vast majority of visitors are not going to fall in that category.