• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

50 years of 50p sets

Cornishfarmer

8 hours ago, Zhorro said:

But the 2009 circulation Kew is not a rare coin:

210,000 went into circulation

128,364 were in BU packs, 

34,438 were in proof sets,

and this ignores the silver and gold versions.

The difficult thing is telling it apart from the "copies".

I think that people just see the word Kew and think it is rare.

The 2019 issue is far rarer than the original 2009 issue.

It's true and I completely agree it is not a rare coin , but demand for the circulated coin far outstrips supply which is why they go for such a premium.

Also people that have no interest in coins whatsoever also know this so the chances of finding one in your change is extremely rare.

I collect 50ps and 2 quid coins but I'm never going to pay 80 odd quid on a circulated 50p with that high mintage

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Anyone keeping up to date with what they are going for?

50 Years of the 50p Worth

Scroll to the eBay Sales History section.

Base Last: £275

Base Lowest: £250.75 (27th January)

Base Highest: £371 (25th January)

Base average £272

Silver Proof Last: £409

Silver Proof Lowest: £333.50 (20th January)

Silver Proof Highest: £500 (low COA, 22nd January)

Silver Average: £400

Prices include delivery charge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/03/2019 at 05:07, Zhorro said:

So, how many people on the Forum secretly communicated with the Royal Mint begging them to issue more coins in the form of a BU set??

* Breaking News * 50 Years of the 50p to be released as a BUNC coin set being released 25th March 2019! https://www.ukcoins.co.uk/50-years-of-the-50p-bunc-coin-set/ from Royal Mint

1 hour ago, Skelator88 said:

Anyone have more information on this. I’m really hoping it’s not unlimited mintage. 

This was in an email I got from the mint:

In response to overwhelming customer feedback the 50 Years of the 50p British Culture Set will be available as a Brilliant Uncirculated edition.

Available on the 25th March 2019 from 00:01 GMT.

21 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

This was in an email I got from the mint:

In response to overwhelming customer feedback the 50 Years of the 50p British Culture Set will be available as a Brilliant Uncirculated edition.

Available on the 25th March 2019 from 00:01 GMT.

Yes I’m aware of that, I was more curious on mintages. If it’s a couple of k I can deal with but having a Kew unlimited just reeks havoc 

Archived