• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Pricing Gold Britannia's for sale

Pritchard

Hey guys.

you may or may not have seen that i have a for-sale thread running. Gold sovereigns flew off the shelf faster than something fast. Silver then sold too. But the Gold Britannias (bar-one that has sold) has had as much interest as Green Party's Brexit opinions in parliment (they have 1 seat, bless them).

I have priced them between their current 'Buy' prices from a reputable dealer, and the 'Buy-Back' price. So, selling as bullion. I had assumed thats reasonable. However the fact i have had almost literally 0 interest in them i just wondered if someone wouldnt mind re-assuring me :).

Is it just a case that these are less collectable? or have i mis-advertised? Or am i just comparing apples and pears, and Soveriegns are just simply the go-to-coin and im being impatient with the Brits?

Maybe try again after pay day. We’ve all just had Christmas and not everyone has that kind of money ready to spend until they get paid their PM “spends”. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Numerous reasons, but I would put forward Weight primarily. 

I absolutely love to own 1/2oz and 1oz Coins (particularly looking through tired old eyes) but what stops me buying these weights is their liquidity. £500 quid in one go is not a deal breaker, it’s a fantastic price for 1/2oz of Gold, but mr average hasn’t perhaps got that buying power therefore, a huge proportion of the audience can’t participate.  

Other potential reasons- as already stated above, uncertainty of political decisions, people wary of the Gold price fluctuations- Gold was a tad less than £900 several weeks ago, now look where we are.  Also, the majority of the Brits are .999 some people would rather lose a part of their anatomy than buy above 22ct!

Also, a lot of people like a bit of history and story behind their stacking- the Sovereign has history, and crucially they weigh less than a Quarter ounce, two dates of a ‘date run’ can be crossed off the shopping list for £500- your Sovereigns sold out fast.

Sorry, I’m not rubbishing the 1/2 & 1oz Britannia Coins you own- I love them and dearly wish I owned more of this weight in my stack. Now I’m back to where I started- weight. 

9 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Sorry, I’m not rubbishing the 1/2 & 1oz Britannia Coins you own-. 

Rich, dont worry my attachment to my coins is not personal nor numis. Its just shiny metal used diversify a portfolio. :) you may rubbish britannias to your hearts content as far as im concerned. hehe.

Thanks for your replies guys. I hadnt really thought about Xmas. Seems obvious now youve mentioned it!
Although, some people found some reserves from somewhere to clean me out of sovs :D

@PansPurse - For me 28th

Current spot price up 12 % in 3 months is the reason I am not looking for bargains in gold at the moment.
If I paid over £1,000 per ounce I am certain it will drop 5 - 10% shortly thereafter and remain so for months to come.
On the other hand I might regret not buying now 🤣

31 minutes ago, MrGeorge said:

I dont know what half oz brits usually sell for but your 1oz brit is only £7 cheaper than i payed this morning for some. So maybe people would just prefer to buy from a well know website/dealer for a little extra.

Thats fair. thats also a good deal. Hatton are priced at 3% over spot for Brits, and i am asking for 0.49 at the price of gold at the time (about 0.7% at the moment).
Where did you shop?!

we are on the same boat Pritchard, I listed a 1 oz queen's beasts unicorn on Sunday and no one has contacted me about it yet lol, thank god I don't need the money right now and I only listed the coin to see how quickly I can sell a 1 oz coin on the forum.

I was just going through the reasons in my head as to why no one wants to buy this from me and I thought of the following reasons:

1- big jump in the spot price.

2- 1 oz coins are not as liquid as sovereigns or other fractional coins

3- it's January and normally people are pretty broke after all the Christmas and new year spendings

4- I am a relatively new member and a lot of people here maybe don't trust me.

But I think the main reason is the current high spot price, I personally am not buying anything at the moment and just waiting to see what is going to happen to the spot price in the next month or two.

Iblike Britannia but i think 1/2 Oz of gold is a bit much for most folks ( well it is for me anyway)  if they were 1/4oz I'd have had one 

1 hour ago, MrGeorge said:

If you had listed that unicorn for the same premium as the op the whole forum would of been after it 😂 think the problem with the queens beasts are not many people are late to the party and pick a few up right away when they release for just a few % over spot. So not many people out there wanting to pay the high premium unless there desperate.

I see what you mean but if someone wants to buy a 1 oz unicorn from a dealer they need to pay a lot more than what  I am asking for, and most dealers don't have it anyways.

I noticed a few forum members tried to sell 1 oz gold coins on the forum over the past month and they couldn't find a buyer.

8 hours ago, Pritchard said:

Hey guys.

you may or may not have seen that i have a for-sale thread running. Gold sovereigns flew off the shelf faster than something fast. Silver then sold too. But the Gold Britannias (bar-one that has sold) has had as much interest as Green Party's Brexit opinions in parliment (they have 1 seat, bless them).

I have priced them between their current 'Buy' prices from a reputable dealer, and the 'Buy-Back' price. So, selling as bullion. I had assumed thats reasonable. However the fact i have had almost literally 0 interest in them i just wondered if someone wouldnt mind re-assuring me :).

Is it just a case that these are less collectable? or have i mis-advertised? Or am i just comparing apples and pears, and Soveriegns are just simply the go-to-coin and im being impatient with the Brits?

Its an interesting situation, for me, the 1/2oz is one of these coins thats stuck in the middle of the 2 most popular weights, 1/4 and 1oz, its a weight i never generally look out for

Archived