• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign or Quarter Britannia?

Don626

Its sovs for me, old ones too. I like a coin with a bit of history behind it and sovs have become something of a global standard.

Gold is an enduring metal so its nice to have a bit that has already proved itself

5 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

Im going for the Brit. Its not because thats what I bought or anything, honest.

Being completely open here though, sovs just dont do it for me, they are quite "gold" enough for me. Each to their own though.

QB Quarters are lovely as well :)

9 minutes ago, Kritika said:

As per links above.

Sove are come out way on top of anything else in this debate. They really are the way to go I think for so many reasons.

• Lowere premiums 
  • Closer to spot
  • Easier  liquidity
  • Easier verification 
  • Easy availability on the second hand market 
  • And easy to smuggle it seems 

Agreed they are the preferred choice for most, but I still dont like em 🙂

I was in the same boat as you when i started stacking, not sure to go for sovs or 1/4 Brits. i ended up taking the advice of the majority of the people  on the forum and going for sovs.

The problem is now i cant get enough of them. When you start doing a bit of research in to the history and the numismatic side of sovs it gets a bit addictive. 

So do yourself a favour. Stay away from sovs. They're the crack cocaine of the coin world :) 

1 hour ago, QStack said:

I was in the same boat as you when i started stacking, not sure to go for sovs or 1/4 Brits. i ended up taking the advice of the majority of the people  on the forum and going for sovs.

The problem is now i cant get enough of them. When you start doing a bit of research in to the history and the numismatic side of sovs it gets a bit addictive. 

So do yourself a favour. Stay away from sovs. They're the crack cocaine of the coin world :) 

THIS!

Thank you everyone for your comments.

If I am honest I much prefer the look of the Brits (they're gold 😊) however premiums do seem a lot higher than Sovs. 

5x Sovs £1284.44

5x Brits £ 1396.66

Royal Mint prices over £100 saving.

Will Brits be worth more in the future over Sovs... Who knows... 

I know someone will probably ask, why would I go for 1/4 over 1/2 or 1oz Brit and pay less premiums? it purely because if I find myself in financial difficulty in the future and had to pay a bill (broken car etc) I would rather sell a 1/4 than a full oz for the cash. I know some might see this as odd but it's my way of thinking.

If you are stacking gold to hold in hand and admire, show it to your friends & visitors when they pop in for a coffee, then you pick the sexiest looking coin and the Brit wins this contest especially if a proof.
If however you shove it in a drawer, safe or Tupperware box then buy the cheaper gold like well used sovereigns.
I prefer to shop for half sovereigns if they can be procured at exactly half the price of a full sovereign but avoid high premium issues.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

If you are stacking gold to hold in hand and admire, show it to your friends & visitors when they pop in for a coffee, then you pick the sexiest looking coin and the Brit wins this contest especially if a proof.
If however you shove it in a drawer, safe or Tupperware box then buy the cheaper gold like well used sovereigns.
I prefer to shop for half sovereigns if they can be procured at exactly half the price of a full sovereign but avoid high premium issues.

Most definitely wont advertising what I have when I have it, I will be purchasing as a long term investment.

4 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

I think @Pritchard sale post proves what you should go for, sovs sold very quickly even though he has some very nice brits for sale (I know 1/2 not 1/4).    But goes to show if need quick sale that’s what to go for

i'm not sure if the thread is open yet to non-prem members. but yes, i *think* i reasonably priced some silver, gold Brits (full oz and Halves) and a dozen soverigns.
All the Sovs were sold before a single bit of interest was even expressed for the silver or any of the brits!

5 minutes ago, Pritchard said:

i'm not sure if the thread is open yet to non-prem members. but yes, i *think* i reasonably priced some silver, gold Brits (full oz and Halves) and a dozen soverigns.
All the Sovs were sold before a single bit of interest was even expressed for the silver or any of the brits!

Perhaps I need to get membership if Brits and Sovs are popping up for sale... Do they go for any cheaper on the forum than direct from main stream dealers?

I have been told I can be very indecisive when I have to make a decision... I don't think I am... Or am i... 🤔... 😂 🤣

I have just got to decide if I either want to invest more into silver or more into gold. It's proving to be harder decision than I initially thought.

11 minutes ago, Don626 said:

I have been told I can be very indecisive when I have to make a decision... I don't think I am... Or am i... 🤔... 😂 🤣

I have just got to decide if I either want to invest more into silver or more into gold. It's proving to be harder decision than I initially thought.

I started out buying silver, then switched to gold and now am back buying silver... and gold.

It's a journey, you have to get stuck in and see where it takes you. Taking your time is of course voluntary. 😁

Archived