• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

**JANUARY 2019** Group Order from The European Mint

BackyardBullion

Bad attitudes don't make for pleasant customers either. I did my DD by ordering a small amount and getting a feel for the procedure and a feel for BYB himself. My questions and concerns were answered and having watched the process from the inside (the order) and outside (other forum members and his YouTube unboxings of the order), I'm better informed about the situation than I would be asking aggressive questions about it. There are no guarantees with private orders, it's basically a bunch of chaps and chapesses down the pub agreeing a group order with a date to meet up again next week to collect your stash. That's why you should test lightly at first. But many of the same safeguards from being swindled by a bullion dealer apply to BYB too, being a publicly viewed private company with a reputation to keep up or lose and subject to the laws of the land regarding fraud. Plus you have PP protection and whatnot. Even buying a single coin for £14 would be a low risk way to get a feel for the orders. You can even give a collection address if you don't want to reveal to him where you live (that's what I did).

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crikey BYB, getting it from all sides today!

When I order from atkinsons during the week, I put something in my basket I have I think 2 minutes to pay for what’s there at the fixed price. Gold price and exchange rate fluctuates so much even in that space of time I can still gain or lose out. I can’t see how you could fairly sort it in the week. If prices dropped after you ordered there’d be complaints. If prices went up after you ordered you’d lose out or more complaints if asked to cover the extra (plus extra administrative time chasing up refunds/shortfalls) it’d be a nightmare.

These shared orders share postage, save the hassle of interbank currency swaps, dealing with Eva! Etc So if others want to do that they’re welcome!

Just like your other service, people don’t have to use it.

2 minutes ago, Elements said:

These shared orders share postage, save the hassle of interbank currency swaps, dealing with Eva! Etc So if others want to do that they’re welcome!

Saying that, the European Mint are a lot more pleasant to deal with (not that I've had to contact gs.be personally). They even responded to one of my email question on Christmas day!

18 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

That's me out of any future groups order for good.

Which is a great shame.  The group order has been an excellent feature of this forum.

You hit on something which has not worried too many others because it is what you'd expect from eg Atkinsons.  I certainly am a slow coach and have seen the price of a coin move while it has been in the basket.  And if the price goes up then I can berate myself for not typing more quickly.  With the Group order it is a bit different because we are relying on BYB's reaction times and how long it takes banks or paypal to transfer money.  So yes more things could happen between me deciding to buy a coin and the order going in to the dealer (not just a price change but the coin selling out!)  but that is a function of the Group Order and if I wanted to avoid the delay all I could reasonably do is do the job myself.  Personally I do not buy enough to justify ordering from Europe all on my own so I am very pleased that BYB is prepared to do it for me.

39 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

I think we as a forum have established several things from the diatribe!

1/ @BackyardBullion is an "Established" silver dealer

Maybe for you, for me he is a guy on youtube

@BackyardBullion

2/ Integrity and reputation are worth defending!

It would help integrity by not pretending not gain nothing out of  a process just because the direct finacial gain is tiny. Gaining reputation is extremly important for a PM dealer and the group order helps to manifest it. @BackyardBullion Please ask yourself how honest you were when you said you were doing other people a favour - as if you gained nothing out of it.

@BackyardBullion

3/some people do not recognise (even when pointed out to them politely!) they are a little out of order!

Well, we agree on that one. It's not me though, rather than having a self-rightious way to answer my, request there would have been other options, too.

@BackyardBullion

4/The forum integrity will ensure that things like the group order are sacrosanct! 

I don't understand how that's related to what I have written before

32 minutes ago, bluemoon said:

Bad attitudes don't make for pleasant customers either

It's not as one sided as you suggest. If I deal with a potential customer, for a start, I'm honest and don't pretend to be a self-sacrificing altruist. I don't lecture, when I could explain.

12 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Which is a great shame.  The group order has been an excellent feature of this forum.

You hit on something which has not worried too many others because it is what you'd expect from eg Atkinsons.

It seems what worried me isn't really an issue, however from the at the beginning mentioned statement that was not clear. That could have been easily explained in a different way. I'm a "smart alec that actually reads all the small print".  to quote someone else here. Well, better that than  doing a blind bargain. Anyway, I will order from Europe myself.

Just to clarify, I go onto the European mint website, choose the bullion I'm after, copy the link and send it to BYB's inbox on the Silver forum? Have I 'joined' the group simply by following this thread? Lastly, will I receive an email back to confirm my order has been received and will there be information about what the next steps are once hyperlink is sent? In short, is the whole process idiot-proof?

7 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Just to clarify, I go onto the European mint website, choose the bullion I'm after, copy the link and send it to BYB's inbox on the Silver forum? Have I 'joined' the group simply by following this thread? Lastly, will I receive an email back to confirm my order has been received and will there be information about what the next steps are once hyperlink is sent? In short, is the whole process idiot-proof?

You have it in a nutshell, yes!

Decide what you want, tell me what and how many (with a link to the items saves me SO much time!) Message me on the forum. 

I send you a price, you pay me. Your order is then confirmed and locked in with the European Mint. 

Once the whole group order is closed I will contact you with your shipping costs and choice of onwards postage. 

You pay that, then as soon as I have the silver in hand I will post it to you!

Following this thread allows you to see updates there may be for me to share - such as delays or timing updates etc. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

10 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

You have it in a nutshell, yes!

Decide what you want, tell me what and how many (with a link to the items saves me SO much time!) Message me on the forum. 

I send you a price, you pay me. Your order is then confirmed and locked in with the European Mint. 

Once the whole group order is closed I will contact you with your shipping costs and choice of onwards postage. 

You pay that, then as soon as I have the silver in hand I will post it to you!

Following this thread allows you to see updates there may be for me to share - such as delays or timing updates etc. 

Great. Much appreciated.

I have to admit I was a bit concerned about giving money to a stranger on a forum to purchase silver on my behalf and wait about 4 weeks to receive it but after ordering during the last order for the first time all my worries were forgotten about! The service @BackyardBullion Offers is brilliant and I will be ordering with him again, unfortunately not this group order as it’s before payday for me 😔. Thank you BYB

Hang on here guys I`m a bit pissed new year and all that terrible.

Do I understand this thread right.

are people questioning BYBs honesty?

auto correct says terrible but I meant S H I T

Sorry for the dumb question but am I correct in saying my share of delivery would be 1.5% of €471.30 my final choice if I was to go for this order so around €478.37 (obviously on current prices)? Thank you.

Screenshot_20190102-022646.jpg

2 hours ago, Don626 said:

Sorry for the dumb question but am I correct in saying my share of delivery would be 1.5% of €471.30 my final choice if I was to go for this order so around €478.37 (obviously on current prices)? Thank you.

Screenshot_20190102-022646.jpg

1.2% not 1.5%

But yes, otherwise correct

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

1.2% not 1.5%

But yes, otherwise correct

Ah, brilliant, thank you, I know I am new to the forum but if I was to go for silver over gold would I be able to put an order in or am I restricted for a while? 

16 minutes ago, vicamy said:

@BackyardBullion sorry I'm new to the forum but interested in group order. Just one quick question. Will Europeanmint applies the cheapest layer price for each item regardless quantity in group order? Thank you.

The price you get is based on what quantity you order individually. 

Archived