• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

**JANUARY 2019** Group Order from The European Mint

BackyardBullion

8 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

I think BYB places the orders at the weekend to stop the price changing otherwise it could be rather difficult. Its more a problem i guess if you place an order and then dont pay him for a while, the price could change.

I thought it was more a case of he'd never get anything else done if he did not restrict it to weekends

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

The quoted statement is a bit misleading then, do they even change at all on weekends, when the spot market is frozen?

It is not misleading in the slightest. I am doing people a favour here - I am trying to protect myself is all!

I am acting as a middleman - so you should pay exactly what you should as if you had bought directly from them, so I protect myself from the (albeit very unlikely) situation where a dealer increases their prices.

Even though prices on metal markets are fixed at weekends it does not stop dealers from increasing prices on limited edition pieces or items they have very few in stock of. Dealers do it all the time on things like the Perth Mint Swans. 

Do you fancy running a group order for the benefit of 100's of people with all the financial risk as well? Be my guest. 

2 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I thought it was more a case of he'd never get anything else done if he did not restrict it to weekends

I also reserve the right to place orders outside the weekend where appropriate or with extenuating circumstances. 

2 hours ago, terakris said:

I think BYB places the orders at the weekend to stop the price changing otherwise it could be rather difficult. Its more a problem i guess if you place an order and then dont pay him for a while, the price could change. I've ordered many times through BYB and have had no problems what so ever, some orders being into the thousands. Over all thats a drop in the ocean compared to the size of the whole order.

This is the other reason I only go at weekends, keeps me from having to record over or under charging on items people order. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

9 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

It is not misleading in the slightest. I am doing people a favour here - I am trying to protect myself is all!

Obviously I can only claim it's misleading from the information I get about a process I'm not involved in. At least it is confusing for me.

9 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Do you fancy running a group order for the benefit of 100's of people with all the financial risk as well? Be my guest.

You know better than me but it is my understanding you also do this to esablish reputation as silver dealer - in this case you would also do yourself a favour - which is nothing bad at all of course.

2 minutes ago, Seasider said:

and I seem to recall being the beneficiary of one such occasion.😀

Indeed - but I can never win so it seems.

When I have done this and made it public I get shouted at buy some members for showing preferential treatment 

When I move to only weekends I get criticised for putting protections in place for myself. 

All of this for £1 per person in tips........

1 minute ago, BackyardBullion said:

Indeed - but I can never win so it seems.

When I have done this and made it public I get shouted at buy some members for showing preferential treatment 

When I move to only weekends I get criticised for putting protections in place for myself. 

All of this for £1 per person in tips........

Just remember the whingers are the vocal minority mate!

Just now, Bullionaire said:

Just remember the whingers are the vocal minority mate!

Well, if Brexit hits the fan in the next few months it may well be that this (and the one more we have planned) will be the last of them - which makes this conversation moot. 

3 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Of course you need to protect yourself. My point rather is, it's unclear and this statment without further knowledge of the process would put me off, for protecting myself from potentially higher prices

If I can throw my two ha'pence in.....

I fully appreciate anyone (especially if they are new forum members) being cautious about taking part in a Group Order for the first time, but as others have said previously, BYB is beyond reproach and organises and collates these huge orders on behalf of all of us for no financial gain, save helping promote his YouTube Channel.

We would would do well to remember pulling these massive Group Orders together is a major undertaking and something that I certainly wouldn't wish to organise - especially if the comments/posts on here were ever to reach the point where I started to feel that putting together these big orders just wasn't worth all the hassle/aggro that I was getting......

2 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

Of course you need to protect yourself. My point rather is, it's unclear and this statment without further knowledge of the process would put me off, for protecting myself from potentially higher prices

"without further knowledge of the process would put me off"

SO the only choice you have my friend is - - - - !

3 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

Forgive me  but how is it different from buying from eg Atkinsons or HGM where you see the price of most coins move minute by minute in line with fluctuations in the metal price?

10 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

What does "- - - -" mean, excatly?

9 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Forgive me  but how is it different from buying from eg Atkinsons or HGM where you see the price of most coins move minute by minute in line with fluctuations in the metal price?

Well, that is the question that is unclear from the quoted statement on its own - it doesn't make it clear how similar it is to ordering at e.g. Atkinsons. When I order there, I know it doesn't change within my order, at least if I order fast, or if I'm too slow than I know the spot price won't change hugely within a minute.

2 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

Well, that is the question that is unclear from the quoted statement on its own - it doesn't make it clear how similar it is to ordering a e.g. Atkinsons. When I order there, I know it doesn't change within my order, at least if I order fast, or if I'm too slow than I know the spot price won't change hugely within a minute.

The difference is that if someone were to order from me in this group order, I have to quote you a price. I take the price at a certain time. You then pay me the price I quoted. I go back to the dealer a few hours later when you pay and the price has gone up (or down) because of fluctuating metal prices or perhaps because they have hiked the prices of a premium coin. That is where the difference comes in. 

And once again, this is to give me, the middle man protection. 

46 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

51 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

Obviously I can only claim it's misleading from the information I get about a process I'm not involved in. At least it is confusing for me.

I am not quite sure why you feel you need to comment on a procedure that you are  not involved in, which has previously been set up and proved to work, that lots of stackers here do not seem to have a problem with.

If its too unclear, confusing and putting you off, why not just sit it out and carry on using your regular supplier. There are plenty of others who have no issue with with a group buy.

You could of course just order something small and see if it works for you.....

Here is an explanation by way of example- - - >

If you are put off from buying a car from e.g. ford - you don't get involved for hours on the forecourt - you sit back and watch the Vauxhall one instead!

1 minute ago, BackyardBullion said:

The difference is that if someone were to order from me in this group order, I have to quote you a price. I take the price at a certain time. You then pay me the price I quoted. I go back to the dealer a few hours later when you pay and the price has gone up (or down) because of fluctuating metal prices or perhaps because they have hiked the prices of a premium coin. That is where the difference comes in. 

And once again, this is to give me, the middle man protection. 

Thanks for clarifying this! It was obvious it's for protecting you. But when you don't know more than "it can change" then as I potential buyer you don't feel protected because it could be more time in between, potentially with god knows, geo political changes (that can happen in a matter of days but rather not minutes) that might have a huge effect on the prices of PMs. I think I might possibly do you a favour by highlighting this. I tell you, others might just be put off.

Just now, Uksilverstackers said:

I am not quite sure why you feel you need to comment on a procedure that you are  not involved in, which has previously been set up and proved to work, that lots of stackers here do not seem to have a problem with.

If its too unclear, confusing and putting you off, why not just sit it out and carry on using your regular supplier. There are plenty of others who have no issue with with a group buy.

Because I consider myself as a potential future participant, that's why. I almost keen to say considered, I don't like how hostile my request has been handled there, to be honest

4 minutes ago, Uksilverstackers said:

Well said. 

3 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

Thanks for clarifying this! It was obvious it's for protecting you. But when you don't know more than "it can change" then as I potential buyer you don't feel protected because it could be more time in between, potentially with god knows, geo political changes (that can happen in a matter of days but rather not minutes) that might have a huge effect on the prices of PMs. I think I might possibly do you a favour by highlighting this. I tell you, others might just be put off.

100% disagree with you, see above. 

Literally 300+ people have gone through these orders and this is the first time it has been mentioned as an issue. 

4 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

If you want to establish yourself as silver dealer, you will also need to improve customer handling. That's me out of any future groups order for good. So finally, you don't need to put up with my questions anymore, thanks for nothing

I think we as a forum have established several things from the diatribe!

1/ @BackyardBullion is an "Established" silver dealer

2/ Integrity and reputation are worth defending!

3/some people do not recognise (even when pointed out to them politely!) they are a little out of order!

4/The forum integrity will ensure that things like the group order are sacrosanct! 

Just now, JunkBond said:

There is always some smart alec that actually reads all the small print... 😉

Its not the reading  - - its the not understanding and then ranting about it that is the problem!

IMHO

Archived