• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

**JANUARY 2019** Group Order from The European Mint

BackyardBullion

4 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

The £10000 limit applies to cash. PM's won't be counted as cash. They will be counted as goods. If you are flying in from outside the EU the current allowance for goods is £390. So you can bring in PM's up to a value (not face value but actual metal value) of £390. Above that you are liable for a charge.

What about jewellery? I've done huge amounts of international travel and the allowances are pretty generous. If one was to take the equivalent amount of (fake) silver out of the country under the guise of selling it could one not bring back the same weight and claim they just didn't sell it? I'm also remembering the story of Pink Floyd's stage speakers being transported around the world with alternating ballast of house bricks and bricks of cannabis...!!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, EdNug said:

What about jewellery? I've done huge amounts of international travel and the allowances are pretty generous. If one was to take the equivalent amount of (fake) silver out of the country under the guise of selling it could one not bring back the same weight and claim they just didn't sell it? I'm also remembering the story of Pink Floyd's stage speakers being transported around the world with alternating ballast of house bricks and bricks of cannabis...!!

Jewellery counts as goods so same rules apply there. If you bring back thousands of £s worth of jewellery and you declare it or they stop you and discover it prepare for a nice bill. I would think so long as you could prove you didn't buy the items while abroad (had them with you when you left and brought them back) you'd get away with it but I suspect you'd be there for a while explaining that one.

I am sure there are some ways to circumvent it. The easiest would be just chancing things and not declaring though if you are caught you will of course have to be prepared to face the consequences. When I first found out these rules I thought they were utterly absurd but sadly my thinking that has little impact on the reality of the situation.

12 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I am sure there are some ways to circumvent it. The easiest would be just chancing things and not declaring though if you are caught you will of course have to be prepared to face the consequences.

I know that in certain drug producing countries contraband is often molded into the shape of non-essential vehicle parts and then fitted in place before being driven across borders - a silver roof rack? Or maybe a couple of silver bicycle frames with gold brake discs?? (I spent 5 years as a freelance journo specializing in drug politics and economics so I know loads about this sort of stuff!!) Maybe the Forum could negotiate a fair price for one of the Colombian coke smuggling submarines!

Dodgy but fascinating stuff; this issue does highlight the potential for a drastic increase in post-Brexit smuggling though, not just of PMs but anything with prohibitive tariffs imposed on it.

Apologies for the topic diversion, I'll say no more about it! 

41 minutes ago, EdNug said:

I know that in certain drug producing countries contraband is often molded into the shape of non-essential vehicle parts and then fitted in place before being driven across borders - a silver roof rack? Or maybe a couple of silver bicycle frames with gold brake discs?? (I spent 5 years as a freelance journo specializing in drug politics and economics so I know loads about this sort of stuff!!) Maybe the Forum could negotiate a fair price for one of the Colombian coke smuggling submarines!

Dodgy but fascinating stuff; this issue does highlight the potential for a drastic increase in post-Brexit smuggling though, not just of PMs but anything with prohibitive tariffs imposed on it.

Apologies for the topic diversion, I'll say no more about it! 

A classic Auric Goldfinger operation... "in this case the body work of my Rolls Royce is 18 carat gold"

3 hours ago, GoldenGekko said:

No deal -> Scottish independence -> independent Scotland rejoins EU -> backyard bullion moves to Edinburgh and takes advantage of VAT free silver and easy access to Edinburgh assay office on his doorstep 😉

Or we have our Mickey Mouse government make us a tax haven!

UPDATE TIME!

OK - this weekend has been hectic - records have been broken!

2126 oz of silver

2 oz of platinum

1g of gold

hows that for a S:P:G ratio!

Total order value is €38,200

Holy brown trousers, that is a lot of shiny!

Added 0 minutes later...

Here is the breakdown by Quantity ordered. 

50117357_JanuaryGroupOrderbyQuantity.thumb.jpg.4d7f4672f7dd6f1e6eda37dd858caaf5.jpg

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

And here is the breakdown by total weight

1849840814_JanuaryGroupOrderbyTotalWeight.thumb.jpg.cc1feffc9def386b6762b607c0d61d7d.jpg

Added 0 minutes later...

I am loving the fact that collectively we have ordered 666 Britannias......

I think the universe is trying to tell us something!

2 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

1849840814_JanuaryGroupOrderbyTotalWeight.thumb.jpg.cc1feffc9def386b6762b607c0d61d7d.jpg

Added 0 minutes later...

Don't buy from Britain perhaps 

13 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Added 0 minutes later...

Interesting to see people are still buying the dragon coin (bars)!

I can tell I was only person who wanted the 2019 maples!

21 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Added 0 minutes later...

You were on '6666' likes as well recently! 

Can't wait to see the kilo coins on your unboxing!

Been doing research on buying silver (VAT free) and stumbled across the video on YouTube mentioning this site... Missed out on this one but hope there's another group by before the end of March! Sounds like a great idea. 👍

Unfortunately I was not able to take part in this GB as I'm currently buying my first house but that is pretty much sorted now. Looking forward to seeing the unboxing video and hopefully taking part in another GB in the not to distant pre-Brexit mess. Another brilliant effort from BackyardBullion!

UPDATE TIME!

I have been sending out postage invoices to all those who joined. If you have not received one by tomorrow morning please give me a shout!

2 minutes ago, Afjones1960 said:

Hi folks. Just joined the group ( and just missed the group order...I think). Anybody know when the next one is??

There will be one, dates not confirmed yet. 

Brexit is looking fun so before 29the march that you can be sure of!

Archived