• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Isle of Man silver Angel coins?

KevinFlynn

I was looking into Isle of Man silver Angel coins. I am mainly interested in the one ounce silver version. I am getting a little information here and there and some conflicting information due to outdated reference entries. So I am left with questions, or more, with - did I get the following right?

I take it that at least one silver Angel coin was issued in 1985?

Silver Angel coins are being reissued since 2015? Though I found a reference to a 2014 coin, I am confused...

The design (supposedly the mint) switched between 2016 and 2017?

One ounce silver Angel coins are struck as reverse proof? I came across a collector's set for 2017 silver Angels that had a reverse proof as well as a 'regular' proof version in it - are there regular versions of 'regular' proof coins minted?

If anyone in the know could point me towards more in depth information sources, any help would be appreciated.

Okay, Isle of Man Angel coins are being minted by the Tower Mint since 2017.

Many online dealers have just not refreshed their database, as they are offering 2017 and 2018 coins with the details of the Pobjoy Mint versions. This makes it especially problematic to discern between the regular proof and the reverse proof versions. From pictures I am getting the feeling that many dealers are offering the 2018 regular proof version, despite the text mentioning reserve proof. I will have to enquire with the dealers.

I want to treat myself for my borthday next month and I would love to own a reverse proof and a regular proof silver Angel, as example pieces for the different proof versions (wanting to impress visitors here 😉 ). I do not neccesarily want to shell out double the cash for the certified proof collector's set tough...

I believe in 2017, there was a proof and a reverse proof of the 1 oz Angel. Mintage of the reverse proof 5.000.....mintage on the proof only 500 pieces and only available via a 2-coin set in wooden box.

In 2018 they talk about premium uncirculated and reverse proof.....PU has a mintage of 15.000.....the reverse proof only 500 and only available via the 2-coin sets.

So you would like to have the 2 coins from 2017 if I read it right ? 😎

Thanks for the interest.

The best reference I had was from the apmex store:

2017 Proof

2017 Reverse Proof

2017 Proof and Reverse Proof set

2018 Proof

They do however not have a 2018 Proof/Reverse Proof set, but a BU/Reverse Proof set, which makes me think that that 2018 coin might not be proof but BU actually. Would also explain the low price point in comparison to the 2017 coins.

Available offer in german shops would be:

2018 which looks like a proof or BU, but is advertised as reverse proof in the text - however this is the old text from the Pobjoy version

2017 which very much looks like a reverse proof

or the same here:

2018 (mentions PU in the description)

This is what left me confused.

Given your explanation, I think that the shops are just not accurate enough with their wording.

Basically, I want a proof and a reverse proof Angel. My best bet would be a 2017 set then, which I can get here. I can stow away the box (which is not that aesthetically pleasing to me) to keep the resale value, and display these in my own way.

yep, the wording from different dealers is confusing for sure 😉.... I have seen the 2018 PU or BU.....and look the same as the 2017 described as proof....🤩....so lets make this clear....we have a proof and a reverse proof for both years, only mintages differ.

Now, just a suggestion, if someone on this forum is able to buy a set from Apmex, 2017, now on sale for 79,99 usd.....and ship it to Germany (or Belgium...I would love to buy another set for that price)....wouldn't that be nice 😎.... ?

I bought two of the 2018 "PU" silver Angel and Noble coins earlier this year from Silver-to-Go.  They are very nice coins.  I suppose they could be called "proof-like" ? They are a higher quality of strike than standard bullion coins. They came in capsules which were sealed in a clear plastic sheet, this must be how they are packaged from the mint.

Sorry, but mine are not for sale, too nice to part with …….

3 hours ago, Tritoon01 said:

I have seen the 2018 PU or BU.....and look the same as the 2017 described as proof.

😎...that is why I said

3 hours ago, Tritoon01 said:

so lets make this clear....we have a proof and a reverse proof for both years, only mintages differ.

😀

I can't see the difference either....

@KevinFlynn... you might wanna take a look at @CadmiumGreens offer ? But the price for which Apmex is selling this set is unbeatable I think.

Archived