• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My way of stacking

What I am stacking

Permastack

Gold 20 Mark Kaiserreich
Gold Vreneli 20 Franken
Silver Maria Theresien Taler

which I also call "Gold (or Silver) to play", as I have no fear of jingling these coins.

Primary Wealth conserving stack

Gold Krugerrands (no nonsense 1 oz pieces)
- may diversify -

I believe in gold as the wealth conserving precious metal with the highest recognition value.

Speculative stack

Silver Maples
- may diversify -

Speculative as in, I am aware of the industrial characteristic and the ensuing manipulation of the silver price. But I am betting on a correction one day. It is like playing lotto (it is highly unlikely but if it happens it changed your life) ported to silver: it is unlikely but if it happens you will be happy to have participated.

Same goes for platinum, which I am planning on putting something back, but as a one time only deal, not as a continous investment.

Platinum Nobles (most likely)

Really speculative stack

Silver Queen's Beasts (planned)
- for now -

Well, to keep the eye happy and to have some variety in my life, I am keeping my eyes open for bullion coins with collector's value. I may try my hand with the Lunar III series, even if I know that it will be overrun. I am eyeing some Silver Angles, though I am developing the feeling that these would rather become part of my permastack.

Odds and ends

Silver bars (poured)

I have some of these, as I wanted to experience that stacking feeling. Not an investment per se, because of VAT (coins do not have VAT over here).

Silver junk

Like a certain engagement ring that I hammered into a bar, or some silverware that I can get cheaply from within the family.

Added 0 minutes later...

Why I am stacking what I am stacking

German and swiss gold trade coins are some of the most liquid items I know of. I never had a problem getting or selling them. They carry a low premium and as I do not take numismatic pieces they can be handled without value loss. They are also within my impulse buy range.

The Krugerrand is the coin that is bought most around here, according to community statistics. This is an unemotional decision. I want the piece of gold, and it could as well have been the Maple, the Eagle or the Philharmonic.

Same with the Silver Maple. The most bought silver coin over here.

Queen's Beasts seem to have a chance to have a rise in relative price on top of silver spot. Problem is I am in late and I want at least one full set. May end up as eternal showpieces.

I fear that the Lunar III series may go the way of the Panda due to mintage and overall excitement, so may become a regular bullion coin only. Nonetheless the Lunar I and II series have performed in a way that picking up a few Lunar IIIs cannot hurt.

Edited by KevinFlynn
syntax

Why I am stacking

Gold was the first thing in my life that made me think of building up a real portfolio. In tough times, gold is the only thing that will make me put something back, so every euro in gold is an euro saved for me.

Then I had my life savings destroyed once and with being the main earner of my household will have no chance of building up again (especially after 20 years lost on potential interest). So I am neither building a portfolio for retirement nor for swapping to real estate. I will have to rely on the german social system, which means paying in vomitworthy sums each month and getting out basic welfare in the end (not enough to live, not enough to die). They will also make you spend everything you own, should you need to fall back on welfare, and they will most likely calculate everything you laid back against the basic welfare rent you would get (no, they do not say that now, but keep in mind what they changed over the last 10 years).
- that was the gloomy part, I decided to live in the now -

Gold will make it possible to keep part of my savings away from inquisitive eyes.

Also insert the possibility of currency correction or economic collapse that we all know about, but that is not a strictly personal reason.

Edited by KevinFlynn
typos, clarification

What I am planning to do

I will try to maximize gold and use silver (and a little platinum) for diversification, but ultimately to swap for gold.

I will be happy if I can retain my current income level and the investment sum that comes from it (percentage into precious metals of a percentage of income into my portfolio).

I am not hunting for the last euro squeezed from opportunities, I prefer to buy safe and I will be happy about every piece I get to put back, no matter the premium,

I will most likely have to sell to support my income one day, though I do hope to come out at a profit in the end. Maybe I will only have have evaded inflation.

I have no grand exit strategy at the moment. If gold skyrockets, the world will be in a state that selling for fiat currency will not be a viable option. At least I will have something nice to look at then.

But we will see what happens...

Edited by KevinFlynn
syntax, clarification

Sounds like a good plan. As you are not in the UK i can't comment on some of it but believe the speculation on QB's is a good bet. Maybe even try the gold quarter ounce queens beasts. As they are bullion but also seem to be gaining premium. No chance of milk spots or anything also. So should be sound for good appreciation over time. Worst case scenario is you sell at bullion. And lose small premium paid. 

I think with the gold 1 oz krugs you could also switch it up. I know they are cheap but if you could get another 1oz coin for say £10-£20 more with a chance of premium growing over time. Its not much of a gamble and you could get more long term than just spot. 

E.g.

About 23 quid difference but the krug will only return spot in the future with maybe a few % over but the bull has every chance to be a smaller mintage QB as a lot of people don't like the design which in turn means it might be more sought after. For the 20 odd quid difference it could be worth it.

Screenshot_20181225-115016_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20181225-114927_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by JCRJM

Compared to the UK, I think the trade coins compare to the Sovereign, which seem to have a household name.

I am envious of those countries that have a renowned national investment coin. I am especially looking at the US where the Eagle seems to rule. Makes the decision about primary investment coins easier, I guess. We only have some strange collector's coins with equally strange, ugly or questionable designs over here, but no german 'trademark coin'.

There was a hype around silver 10 euro coins back around 2011, when the silver content pushed the intrinic value near to or beyond the face value. They reacted by changing to copper nickel coins, then reissuing as silver coins with double face value. I remember a quote from the Bundesbank along the lines of 'these are collector's coins, not meant for investment'. Says everything about our point of view towards bullion coins...

Those 10 euros would still be a viable way to put back a cash reserve secured by silver, if I would want to put €1000 into my vault, even with a little premium paid over face value. They are still ugly though...

(disclaimer: personal opinions expressed here)

Edited by KevinFlynn
clarification

Started mainly as collector and a big part of my buys continue in this direction. It had been an enjoyable hobby for me, that pure stacking can't satisfy. It has replaced other cheaper but sizable collections (DVDs for example), that you lose maybe 80% of your money or more when reselling. The problem with collectible items is that you need time to resell them, if you don't want to lose money (and some times you can still do).

So I have decided in the last months to divide my budget between investment and collectibles and also started selling a part of my second for the first. Except the ease in selling bullion (or similar) items, the other advantage is the low attachment with the actual items. Meaning you can sell easier if and when you want. But of course the excitement factor is seriously lower (except the thrill of the volumes building up maybe! 😁 ).

Although I understand that gold is the safest and most liquid bet, I can't stop feeling that silver is quite undervalued at the moment, the same as platinum. So lately I am stacking mostly silver bullion and junk (which has a certain appeal as well). In silver bullion I split between classic coins (Eagles, Philharmonics etc.) and some speculative items. The later being coins that are not much more expensive than the cheapest bullion ones but have a chance to acquire some numismatic value on the road (Queen's Beasts for example).

Instagram: gildeon_67

Silver sure has the psychological advantage, as you can invest easily moneywise and you can get an impressive weight with moderate expenditure. There are a lot of silver goodies satisfying multiple needs that are contained within the value of an investment gold coin. It is an investment decision to make carefully. I agree that I would not want to miss silver.

• 2 years later...

Let me review what changed over the last two and a half years:

Permastack

Gold 20 Mark Kaiserreich
Gold Vreneli 20 Franken
Silver Maria Theresien Taler

is still valid. I call it my 'german triangle'. I'm a little light on Kaiserreich coins at the moment. I am also sadly not able to find a good source for (somewhat) cheap Talers, which I would calculate at melt. I mix in 10 Mark and 10 Franken for the sake of getting as close to an ounce fine as possible, as well as Helvetias. It's also not quite Perma, but fluctuating - these are just too liquid.

Primary Wealth conserving stack

will be 1 ounce bullion coins. Also open to the possibility of fractionals making up an ounce.

No no nonsense, curiosity always wins, like just I bought a Type 2 Gold Eagle.

Speculative stack

same for silver, different types are more interesting, but will be 1 ounce bullion coins.

And I opted for the Platinum Noblemay get a second one, though VAT really hurts.

Collectible stack

Silver Queen's Beasts - a completed set, which I may or may not want to sell one day

as well as some Silver Queen's Beasts spares, which I will get rid off at an opportune moment.

I'm looking for the next collectible series now...

Odds and ends

Latin Monetary Union 20 Francs - there are so many beautiful ones...

Silver bars (poured)

None more unless I can get my hands on some old Degussa or some Perth Mint ones.

Silver junk

whatever comes my way...

Edited by KevinFlynn

• 1 year later...

Let me review what changed over the last two years:

Primary wealth conservation or risk distribution stack

One ounce standard bullion
leaning towards American Eagles at the moment.

Fractional coins

Gold 20 Mark Kaiserreich
Gold Vreneli 20 Franken
Still valid, 20 Marks and Vreneli are easily affordable and bought. Have become my go to for fractionals.

On
Silver Maria Theresien Taler
I cannot be bothered to hunt down cheap ones.

Speculative stack

On Silber, I stopped buying physical silver due to VAT. I am putting money into digital silver, as in ETCs and mining stock.

Sitting on two Platinum Nobles, beautiful coins, waiting for a correction.

Collectible stack

My Silver Queen's Beasts set may be a keeper.
Recently looked into selling my Silver Queen's Beasts spares (nothing too fancy).
I doubt I'll go into collectible anymore.

Odds and ends

Silver bars (poured) 
Silver junk
What I said about silver above.

Can't go wrong with Swiss silver. Even here in the UK I have found Swiss silver sells easily.

MT Thalers are easy to shift as well. So too are the LMU 20 Fr.

Sometimes a cheaper way to build up gold than sovereigns.