• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best way to leave your country with your PM's without declaring .

Sal

I remember hearing or reading that jewelry is not subject to customs or taxes. That would mean converting parts of your stack though. In the article they mentioned a jewelry line that was created for this purpose, offering high purity, low premium jewelry. I will see, if I can find the source. Not sure, if that is just another business idea only...

47 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

I remember hearing or reading that jewelry is not subject to customs or taxes. That would mean converting parts of your stack though. In the article they mentioned a jewelry line that was created for this purpose, offering high purity, low premium jewelry. I will see, if I can find the source. Not sure, if that is just another business idea only...

Superglue them into a gigantic Cowboy belt buckle...

2954D032-44E4-4416-8728-42FE1C79A746.jpeg.9ce8688dde6d82f9dafa14774cff214f.jpeg

...Business idea...taken.

Nothing to stop you wearing your wealth, solid gold chains etc or even convert into a high end luxury watch, something you can buy, wear and then sell on at the other end without losing out and government issue gold coins can usually be declared at face value rather than intrinsic so a gold Eagle can be declared at $50 and not $1200, I've done this before when departing the UK so as long as the US don't have any kind of law against this then it should apply here as well.

I recently went from the US to Ireland with two tubes of coins, and was never asked to declare anything.  I was prepared to declare them, but they just asked how long I was staying, and why I was there. So in this case I could have had much more with me. 

No one seems to asked the questions, why do you want to avoid declaring, whats the consequence of declaring or not?  As i understand it from UK there is value of money you need to declare but no actual limit on the amount you take out of the country.  You need to explain/justify source of money over the limit for anti-money laundering. Expect US and rest of economically developed world is similar (not worried about money moving around).

Say you take a few quid in sterling change with you on a flight, you wouldn't declare the base metal value of the copper and nickle when you arrive would you. What is the difference with silver and gold coins stamped as currency, maples, eagles, britannia - $50 or £50

If you are carrying several gold coins or bars, with a value of a few thousand GBP or more, then you can expect questions about where you obtained it, what the source of your funds are, and what you are planning to do with it. Customs officials typically have greater powers of search and confiscation than the police. If they decide they don't like your answers, they may just decide to hold on to your gold, and you will have the devil's own job getting it back.

I would not advocate trying to evade taxes or excise duties. The main issue is simply being able to take your property with you without confiscation. Depending on your destination, you may well be better off just buying some gold when you arrive.

On 24/12/2018 at 22:00, Sal said:

I was thinking about taking a extended stay from the states to somewhere overseas and would like to take a considerable amount of my PM"s with me. Any thought's on how to avoid customs and/or paying a tax on the Pm"s? Thanks

Others have given hints the right direction but rather than swapping it for jewlery PMs I would string my coins on a chain, depending on what  and how much it is. If I wanted to take a few sovereigns with me, I would just put them in my change, the size and colour resembles the 10 and 20 Euro cents coin (at least for the older, less red sovereigns). On a chain around your neck, no one would think it's real gold, possibly bad taste though. Also, no one could accuse you of trying to hide it from customs.

Edit: Obivously I would hide it on the way to the airport and after leaving it. Also, if you looked like this Indian, with my suggestion, I would rather not do it. I would have to look a bit more unostentatious.

goldindian.jpg

6 hours ago, Oldun said:

This guy exaggerated it just a tiny bit too much. He was known as the gold man in his whole region and had articles about his gold fetish years before this happened, according to this link. That and a massive amount of gold around his neck and torso means asking for trouble. Obviously if you want it to work it needs to look modest and you would want your whole outfit fitting, so e.g. no sneakers but ideally a swanky looking outfit that isn't really expensive, telling everyone "I wanna be rich but I'm not really". Don't blame me if it doesn't work but I think it can, if done the right way.

Archived