• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1937 Proof Grade Opinions

TheGoldSovereign

37 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Sovereign Rarities have a 1937 £5 graded by PCGS asPF65 DC in an auction on 8 -10 January estimate $6k.  Some photos of this coin look just as good as the PF65 in the auction but others obviously don't.

Would you not be worried that those scratches could be interpreted as cleaning?

I don't think this will sell for under estimate, plus there is a whacking premium on top. Likely including premium I think it'll go for approx. 7k

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

17 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

Damn, now you tell us 😁

Ha!

But seriously, if your selling something, no point in being insulted by even low ball offers, simply thank the person for the offer, and politely decline.

My experience tells me that a low offer received (perhaps not a low ball offer!) often leads to a sale.  

It’s not easy negotiating a deal on a cherished coin/ set from an individual as there’s usually a bucketful of emotion/expectation  behind the sale.  

From a dealer on the other hand, it’s ordinarily simply them being happy in making their required margin, and sometimes you fall lucky if they have bought in multiple items from the same source and made good margin on one or two items, they often can discount further the residual stock/ higher priced items. 

My old man (sadly passed away) was a fantastic businessman.  His motto was always to be ‘happy with a little bit of something, rather than a lot of f@*#-all’

11 minutes ago, sg86 said:

There are also pf65 on heritage at $15000 so the market clearly is all over the place. 

You cannot buy this set anywhere for under 10k I don't think, if I'm wrong let me know and I'll look at those also 😊

Having being googling this one, and looking at the views provided here, I think your right, this set would be difficult to buy under £10k, an offer of between £9- £10k, say £9250 would show the seller your serious, and prompt productive negotiation. Good luck.

5 hours ago, sg86 said:

They are nice in hand, not without some flaws. Still don't know what the right price is for a set like this, 10k? 12k? 14k?

There have been loads of sets sold this year by the major auctioneers, the hammer prices should be researchable easily enough.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, Elements said:

Another FYI...£8300

https://www.drakesterling.co.uk/coins-for-sale/products/1937-five-pound

We’re all interested in how it goes SG, can let us know the outcome? 😃

If this is PF65 and $15,000 then damn... It seems to have more hairlines than this one

I know a lot come up for sale but most at auctions going for under 10k are in quite bad condition 

Think I can get the set for 12k, not much else for sale cheaper right now so... 

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

I have looked at several of the five pound coins in recent times and the grading can vary a lot between PCGS and NGC. Recently had a very close look at a NGC 62 grade coin that looked a whole lot better on the eye than a PCGS 63 and maybe better than some PCGS 64's that i have seen.

9 hours ago, sg86 said:

Full sovereign

IMG_20181221_095025.jpg

IMG_20181221_095018.jpg

IMG_20181221_095044.jpg

IMG_20181221_095032.jpg

IMG_20181221_095120.jpg

IMG_20181221_095050.jpg

IMG_20181221_095005.jpg

IMG_20181221_095011.jpg

I have a few of these and have graded lots of them. The only thing that will be a problem is ANY physical damage or scratches and i dont mean the hairlines as these are on all of them. This looks to be a good 5 sov but i would need to see it to be sure. Cameo looks good and hairlines look minimal. The set of 4 coins is now from £10,500 to £14,000 in ungraded condition and if any grade at 65 or more you have a good profit on that price. 

12 minutes ago, Xander said:

Hi, here they are, looks too good to be true.

img.jpg

Thanks Xander. This is their description:

Proof Set 1937 the 4-coin set in gold, Five Pounds, Two Pounds, Sovereign and Half Sovereign, UNC with some hairlines and edge knocks, in the Royal Mint box of issue with Westminster certificate

19 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

they look very tidy

Can't trust pictures of proofs without black fields imho, thats how you hide all the flaws. As @Numistacker said virtually all will have hairlines and its this type of photography that misleads the buyer and hides them

The Gold Sovereign

• 3 weeks later...

Archived