• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1937 Proof Grade Opinions

TheGoldSovereign

Can anyone give some quick opinions on grade of these coins before purchase? 

I've not handled enough to know how these old proofs grade

Excuse pictures they are from phone but I've tried to highlight issues

Five sovereign 

IMG_20181221_094436.jpg

IMG_20181221_094547.jpg

IMG_20181221_094541.jpg

IMG_20181221_094633.jpg

IMG_20181221_094613.jpg

IMG_20181221_094650.jpg

IMG_20181221_094642.jpg

IMG_20181221_094657.jpg

IMG_20181221_094419.jpg

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Sorry, totally unhelpful to you I know, I can’t help with grades but if I was stood in front of these right now with enough cash in my pocket to buy, I wouldn’t be worrying about grades, I’d be worrying about how I was going to eat in the next few months. 

Stunning coins, good luck with your purchase.  

Keep them coming please!, and any opinions on current market value would be welcome.

Thinking the 5sov would be around PF63-64?

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

9 minutes ago, Elements said:

A raw 4 coin set ungraded but looks decent can be around 12-14k.

The full if 63 is around 2k

Yea i'm in this ballpark, I think the full is 65 imho, its better than the 5sov

The Gold Sovereign

34 minutes ago, sg86 said:

Keep them coming please!, and any opinions on current market value would be welcome.

Thinking the 5sov would be around PF63-64?

Not sure due to scratches on Reverse. My immediate thought was PF62.

1 minute ago, SovTracker said:

Not sure due to scratches on Reverse. My immediate thought was PF62.

Thanks, going rate for PF62 recently in your experience?

The Gold Sovereign

Probably closer to 3k then for the full if pf65. £3500 I recon for a 66.

Prices of these have gone crazy last few years

I posted recently the half I got, I don’t know if they’re everyone’s cup of tea but the 1937 I really like

35 minutes ago, Elements said:

This one is looking better than those you link, so probably better than pr62

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Lets hope not, but, Numistacker only sends them in, NGC grades them and he sees the grade on the slab, i doubt he'd correctly know the grade as most grades come by various attributes of the coin and in a controlled atmosphere and checked by 2 or 3 different people........I've seen coins i would call MS and have been less, even some dealers moan that their NGC grade d coin is under graded, so what i'm saying is, each individual could give a different grade as it's an opinion at the end of the day, even with an NGC or PCGS grade

All true but my point is that he has had lots pass through his hands and he has bought and sold several too. He has therefore had more opportunity to observe how these things grade from close up; certainly more than most people other than the main dealers. As you say, these things can be a lottery and we can only guess how individual coins will grade based on personal experience and looking at pictures.

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

Tall order @sg86 grading from those photos. 😉

Not seen many graded ones in hand myself but that five pound is too tatty for my liking.

@Numistacker is your man, he's handled loads recently.

This is the problem though and why I posted, unless you've had them in hand I don't think it's easy to judge.

These coins photographed mainly look flawless, but as you can see from. That PF62 it's not at all the case. 

I could photograph these and they would look mint, without a single hairline, no trickery just right lighting angle

In hand there is no way you would call this coin tatty I assure you that :)

The Gold Sovereign

13 minutes ago, sg86 said:

This is the problem though and why I posted, unless you've had them in hand I don't think it's easy to judge.

These coins photographed mainly look flawless, but as you can see from. That PF62 it's not at all the case. 

I could photograph these and they would look mint, without a single hairline, no trickery just right lighting angle

In hand there is no way you would call this coin tatty I assure you that :)

Yes indeed the problem with photographing proofs!

Assuming you're assessing whether to buy these or not and they're as good in hand as you think, get them bought!😀

15 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Yes indeed the problem with photographing proofs!

Assuming you're assessing whether to buy these or not and they're as good in hand as you think, get them bought!😀

They are nice in hand, not without some flaws. Still don't know what the right price is for a set like this, 10k? 12k? 14k?

The Gold Sovereign

10k I think would be a good price. Would the seller give it to you for that?! I wouldn’t go straight in on a 14k offer, they're not that rare. Unless you are sure it’s a really good set and desperately want this particular one. As in all markets the price will also be dependent on the desperation of the seller!

You thought your £5 was better than a pf62, maybe a 63 so I’d give that alone a £6.5-7.5k value. Call it 7. Value the rest based on similar pf63, double 2.5k, full 2k half £750. Just above 12k. If you think better/worse value accordingly.

3 minutes ago, Elements said:

10k I think would be a good price.

Again, I know ziltch in terms of Sovereigns pre-dating Queen Elizabeth, but I do know that your starting bid will be important.  

I’ve never being insulted by a low offers on my sales, as it often can lead to a mutually agreeable price to shake on in the end.  As a buyer you have to start somewhere and given what I’ve read here in this thread, and the links provided by @Elements to these coins for sale, I don’t think £9- £10k would be derisory/insulting, it’ll stimulate negotiation. I say go for it. 

Sovereign Rarities have a 1937 £5 graded by PCGS asPF65 DC in an auction on 8 -10 January estimate $6k.  Some photos of this coin look just as good as the PF65 in the auction but others obviously don't.

Would you not be worried that those scratches could be interpreted as cleaning?

There are also pf65 on heritage at $15000 so the market clearly is all over the place. 

You cannot buy this set anywhere for under 10k I don't think, if I'm wrong let me know and I'll look at those also 😊

The Gold Sovereign

Archived