• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Rejuvenate your capsules!

5huggy

I thought I might just help some improve the "LOOKS" of their coin capsules!

This probably applies more to the larger 10oz type capsules or Bar (oblong type) - due to size.

The Capsules do a "WONDERFUL" job of protecting the pm's within - however after a certain amount of handling/fondling it can soon be noticed that the acrylic surface will start to look jaded with a myriad of fine scratches!

The degraded capsules can be rejuvenated using "Plast-Rx" - I use it on modern acrylic car headlights to wonderful effect - I have just polished up a 10oz capsule and it looks fantastic.

It saves on purchasing new capsules or even opening the originals -as long as the scratches are fine!

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

• 2 months later...

Interesting... I bought a 1/10th oz Year of sheep a couple of months ago, and am considering recapsuling it, as what I received it in is rather scratched up, and it's also an oversize, large rim capsule... IF I could restore it, I might not worry about that so much

Saying that, this is a US product and I'm in the UK - does anyone know what our equivalent would be?

I personally got my McGuire's from a local car parts supplier shop,  I am in the UK! and I can get it a lot cheaper than is available in the UK

Having given this a little thought  - - I think that most people would NOT want to buy such a large bottle for just a small job

If people were wanting small quantities - just for capsule cleaning/polishing  -

I would be happy to supply a small 10ml bottle for £1.75 + 75p postage (in the UK)

10 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

Toothpaste!

Toothpaste im afraid is too harsh for fine acrylic IMHO

5huggy

By way of example - I had "soot" type stains to my WHITE UPVC window frames.

After vigorous washing and using  3 types of UPVC window frame cleaners - I got the Meguiare's out and although a bit of rubbing was necessary (think of the area of window frames)

It restored 95 +%  and left them super smooth shiny white.  From more than 5 feet away  - they look new!   (PS 20 year old window frames)

I regularly use it to keep Acrylic headlights in tip top condition!

11 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Toothpaste im afraid is too harsh for fine acrylic IMHO

Possibly for capsules, I’ve never tried it on them.  It’s an old trick for revitalising cloudy headlights.

I’ve got some Novus polish that I used to use on PSP and DS Lite handheld console screens when I used to refurbish and sell them.  I used that on a 10oz Kook capsule once with ok results.

@Goldhooked yes - you are right there are several other products out there that do a (IMHO) reasonable job  -- but having tried SOOO many different products in my vehicle restorations , over the years, I think this is "Streets ahead" when you see the results closely -  which is how we (I believe) all tend to view our coins/capsules.

It uses  - -- >> 

Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar’s exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology (MDAT) easily removes oxidation, chemical degradation, contamination, stains and light surface scratches. Plast-RX also contains long lasting durable protection to keep your plastics clear and beautiful longer. Plast-RX is non-toxic and does not contain harsh solvents. Plast-RX can be used on your Headlights or plastic windows 

Archived