• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Queen's Beasts, or why was I on a hiatus?

KevinFlynn

Yes, that was in my callow youth, weeks ago... :D

I see what you mean, but I have come to view these as bullion coins - the current ones are standardly priced pemium wise. I will surely not stack tubes of Lions and Griffins, not even Dragons, but the others will make a nice variation within my stack. I have that one collection set, for completeness sake (and to soothe my OCD). I will have at least two years to enjoy it and then maybe get the chance to sell with profit, if I can keep it milk free. It is a 20 ounce risk (or a little more with the premium I paid on the Lion and the Griffin).

My final exit strategy is waiting for a silver correction, which may happen or not...

Here they are

1460783090_QueensBeastssix.thumb.jpg.44b2a687ef9661a6940cbe7a7f9c11f9.jpg

This is a superb series, interesting topic, nice designs, reaching back to traditional coins as well as to modern ones. In my eyes the way modern coins should be. I'm loving these, and I am happy to have made this decision.

On to milk spotting. My prior comment on milk spotting realitivizes on closer inspection at daylight. I have this speck on the rim of a Falcon

2064357358_QueensBeastsFalconspeck.thumb.jpg.e146bcd0a8632d05a88df43a4d9de718.jpg

and a whiff of milk on the edge of a Unicorn

1299107338_QueensBeastsUnicornwhiff.thumb.jpg.072a502e237de9e136b7af618095d64f.jpg

I sadly discovered this smudge on the rim of the Lion 😶

2051495040_QueensBeastsLionsmudge.thumb.jpg.c1bb01c21089c1f118ae62541cbbbcaf.jpg

The finely rimmed edge is very susceptible to blemishes anyway, none is perfect, like this little dent on a Dragon

1203149470_QueensBeastsDragondent.thumb.jpg.b7e10a5a4bcdd8500b31ce7a79ea029b.jpg

And my Griffin is not MS70 either, seeing the tiny scratches on the edge 😏

740516755_QueensBeastsGriffinscratches.thumb.jpg.af82f59235b573588581a1ab654126cf.jpg

Splitting hairs here, these are bullion coins and they are priced accordingly. But I wanted to be thorough in my review.

And I know, but I ran out of cotton gloves...

Queen's Beasts: all in all 8/10

Edited by KevinFlynn
grammar

On 06/02/2019 at 17:41, KevinFlynn said:

Yes, that was in my callow youth, weeks ago... :D

I see what you mean, but I have come to view these as bullion coins - the current ones are standardly priced pemium wise. I will surely not stack tubes of Lions and Griffins, not even Dragons, but the others will make a nice variation within my stack. I have that one collection set, for completeness sake (and to soothe my OCD). I will have at least two years to enjoy it and then maybe get the chance to sell with profit, if I can keep it milk free. It is a 20 ounce risk (or a little more with the premium I paid on the Lion and the Griffin).

My final exit strategy is waiting for a silver correction, which may happen or not...

I have more or less the same approach, but more ounces at 'risk', because I'm also collecting the 10 oz versions. Only 1 of each for both 2 oz and 10 oz. I'm also not going for tubes of the Queen's Beasts. I'm still questioning whether to sell once the series has completed to someone that came in late on collecting silver or regretted not getting in. Or is it a better approach selling before the series has ended and people are still looking to jump in on collecting the series and need to buy the ones they miss?

I'm not sure about collections. Someone, somewhere said those seem to peak at around the end of the seires but will fall as soon as the hype is over. Not what I am seeing with Lunars, but then these ain't no Lunars...

On singles, the art of flipping seems to be a short term strategy, getting these and selling them again either on the peak of the hype or when they are just seeming to be getting scarce (i.e. the next being issued), but I am also not an expert here...

So basically, I have no idea and just picked up fragments here and there :D

• 3 weeks later...

I was also late in discovering the Queen’s Beasts last year but still managed to get all the available 1/4oz gold beasts. I’ve been scrimping and saving since the start of the new year in order to buy the 1oz gold Lion and 1/4oz gold Yale that has just been released. I know that I can get two 1oz standard gold bullion coins for the price I’ll be paying for the 1oz gold Lion but the Queen’s Beasts are those once-in-a-lifetime coins collectors either get or regret not getting. We are in the penultimate year of the Queen’s Beasts and the series won’t be around forever. The Britannias, Eagles and Krugerrands will always be available but the same can’t be said for the Queen’s Beasts once the series winds up next year.

3 hours ago, Serendipity said:

Queen’s Beasts are those once-in-a-lifetime coins collectors either get or regret not getting. We are in the penultimate year of the Queen’s Beasts and the series won’t be around forever. The Britannias, Eagles and Krugerrands will always be available but the same can’t be said for the Queen’s Beasts once the series winds up next year.

The Royal mint don't have a good track record when producing a winning series (lunar coins) but I think they have learnt a lot from QB series. On a pure personal selfish motive I hope when QB series finished that the Royal Mint go back to their usual lack luster and produce another couple of crappy series and we are left with QB one hit wonder should hopefully continue premium appreciation 🤣. I don't think that going to happen and Royal Mint have another hit series and premiums QB will either hold or fall back somewhat after the series is finished.

Last year in the same boat I wanted to buy PMs and based in the UK the best option was QB series both silver and gold.

3 hours ago, Serendipity said:

I know that I can get two 1oz standard gold bullion coins for the price I’ll be paying for the 1oz gold Lion but the Queen’s Beasts are those once-in-a-lifetime coins collectors either get or regret not getting. We are in the penultimate year of the Queen’s Beasts.The Britannias, Eagles and Krugerrands will always be available but the same can’t be said for the Queen’s Beasts once the series winds up next year.

Spoken by a true collector, the QB series is fabulous & the best series for years from the Royal Mint. They are mini works of art & as such I don't know why anyone would make a fuss re premiums. My mantra has always been as a collector, if you like it buy it.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

It can definitely be painful paying over the odds for one of the earlier coins but if you put it into perspective many people are happy to pay similar premiums on fairly large run bullion coins.

Case in point: 2oz silver QB Griffin on GSBe now is 55.97€, or 27.99€/oz

The new Perth Mint Simpsons 1oz Homer Simpsons "D'OH!" coin is priced at 26.18€. It's limited to 25,000 but that's still a bullion coin.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got some silver Yales delivered :)

I am still searching for a dealer where I can buy tubes of Beasts over the counter...

So I ordered some empty Royal Mint tubes with these Yales, just to see them.

Sadly these are larger than expected. I always assumed that the Royal Mint (silver) Beasts tubes were (silver) Britannia tubes and those are delivered at 20 a tube, so the tubes would fit 10 Beasts. Sadly these seem to be 25 piece tubes, which will hold 12,5 Beasts accordingly. So no tight fit - I will not take my Lion and Griffin out of the capsules anyway, but would have liked tubes for the others for easier transport.

So, for those more accustomed to the Royal Mint - the tubes for silver Britannias (20) and Beasts (10) are the same product? But there are also tubes for 25 Britannias?

3 hours ago, KevinFlynn said:

So, for those more accustomed to the Royal Mint - the tubes for silver Britannias (20) and Beasts (10) are the same product? But there are also tubes for 25 Britannias?

Yes, Britannia tubes and Queen's Beasts tubes are the same. You'll find that you will be able to fit 13 beasts in the tube with a snug fit. 

Another small detail I've noticed with the tubes is that they changed the design on the cap between the start of the series and now. 

On 08/02/2019 at 03:59, StevenDS said:

I have more or less the same approach, but more ounces at 'risk', because I'm also collecting the 10 oz versions. Only 1 of each for both 2 oz and 10 oz. I'm also not going for tubes of the Queen's Beasts. I'm still questioning whether to sell once the series has completed to someone that came in late on collecting silver or regretted not getting in. Or is it a better approach selling before the series has ended and people are still looking to jump in on collecting the series and need to buy the ones they miss?

This is why I would get more than just one coin, especially if you think you might sell one day. Surely you would like to have your own permanent collection that you wouldn't sell.  That's why I generally buy at least ten of whatever coin I purchase. If I need to sell two or three then I still have a decent number remaining. If I was collecting QB, I couldn't imagine giving away the whole QB series and having nothing left.

As for your other scenario. I think you're much better off holding and waiting a while. They will appreciate and the price of silver is likely to be higher, not lower.

Edited by AgCoyote

16 hours ago, AgCoyote said:

This is why I would get more than just one coin, especially if you think you might sell one day. Surely you would like to have your own permanent collection that you wouldn't sell.  That's why I generally buy at least ten of whatever coin I purchase. If I need to sell two or three then I still have a decent number remaining. If I was collecting QB, I couldn't imagine giving away the whole QB series and having nothing left.

As for your other scenario. I think you're much better off holding and waiting a while. They will appreciate and the price of silver is likely to be higher, not lower.

You and I have different goals. I'm not a collector. I plan to sell all (2 oz and 10 oz) my QB's at increased premium so I can get more 1 oz silver maple leafs.

So my sell strategy needs to be based on highest premium increase rather then silver price increase, since I'll be buying the maples.

What I wonder is whether premiums grow exponentially with silver price increase or only based on supply vs demand independently from silver spot price.

Edited by StevenDS

2 hours ago, StevenDS said:

You and I have different goals. I'm not a collector. I plan to sell all (2 oz and 10 oz) my QB's at increased premium so I can get more 1 oz silver maple leafs.

So my sell strategy needs to be based on highest premium increase rather then silver price increase, since I'll be buying the maples.

What I wonder is whether premiums grow exponentially with silver price increase or only based on supply vs demand independently from silver spot price.

I was struggling with this recently, and decided to sell some 1oz gold lions and griffins, and also 2oz silver griffins. Just looking at the premiums, I decided to do this based on reviewing the prices I could currently buy older gold and silver bullion with somewhat similar mintages (older 1oz gold Britannias from the early 2000s, Perth Mint lunar, etc) from a large dealer like APMEX with a diverse inventory.  

There is no way to tell now if this was the correct move, and I do have a bit of sellers remorse, as these are beautiful coins. 😊 I'm more like @AgCoyote though in that I do plan on keeping a set together for a long term collection regardless of premium. I imagine that this type of mindset is what drives the premiums in the first place. 

However, I did roll the proceeds into newer Beasts (Yale and Falcon). I prefer this rather than Eagles or Maples, because they all have the same downside (spot fluctuations), but Eagles or Maple Leafs will likely not ever develop much of a premium.  Additionally, the new issue Beasts have a lower per ounce premium than either new issue Eagles or Maples.  Although I ultimately sold the silver Griffins on eBay, even the dealers were offering a premium on their buyback offers, but at a big dieocunt relative to their own selling price.  

Edited by Lr103

• 2 years later...

My current dilemma: I'm involved in a British forum, but a continental user...

I would so love to get a quarter ounce gold Lion, the pull is strong, but I cannot justify the premium. I'm sure I would never be able to regain it here in Germany.

You're in such a nice position, you have at least three premium coins that can fulfill all your stacking needs: Britannias, Queen's Beasts and Sovereigns, which are all logical choices because of national imprint and international recognition.

We have some strange coins dealing with topics like musical instruments and trees, blech ...

12 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

My current dilemma: I'm involved in a British forum, but a continental user...

I would so love to get a quarter ounce gold Lion, the pull is strong, but I cannot justify the premium. I'm sure I would never be able to regain it here in Germany.

You're in such a nice position, you have at least three premium coins that can fulfill all your stacking needs: Britannias, Queen's Beasts and Sovereigns, which are all logical choices because of national imprint and international recognition.

We have some strange coins dealing with topics like musical instruments and trees, blech ...

FWIW -  a quick heads up - you're replying to a thread well over 2 years old.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

From what I have seen the 1/4 oz have less problems that the 2oz proof..why? Your guess is as good as mine. I love this set of QB's..but from comments on here of the 2oz set...being returned only to get another inferior set returned with the same problems and customers being so disappointedand asking for a refund......I.e Milkspotting and scratches, and some severe marks on the coins...however I would love to be the owner of a set of a (Perfect proof set) without any problems it seems the RM cannot deliver on this,hence why I wouldn't waste my money on this edition.....

I am happy to have the unc. 2 oz versions hand chosen and not slabbed, but also the unc. bullion versions of the 1 oz gold, all the plats to date and all of the 10 oz but the last (well the completer will probably come out in that size as well I would imagine.

I am going to keep them and love having the set. That they are not 70s is fine, my only issue is the queen's cheek which is so easily abraded.