• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Trial of the Pyx coins for sale.

MickB

2 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

Queens Beat gold proof lion at £1650 can't be that far off issue price.   

Maybe they'd have some minor marks from The Trial of the Pyx which sounds so much like a medieval jousting event.  Maybe they just roll the coins down the stairs.

Yes indeed - the coins would have been handled, you can see from the photos of the 5 sov that there are some marks on Queenies head. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

The Trial of the Pyx means that your valued proofs went through some grubby hands and were likely tossed into some wooden bowl and bashed around in some bags before and after the Trial. For that privilege you would have paid last year double the issue price but the recent releases are at issue price.

https://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/company/today/trial-pyx/

https://www.assayofficelondon.co.uk/about-us/trial-of-the-pyx

I had the luck to handle with @Numistacker the 1kg gold proof lion, which was chucked into a money bag together with other coins; the estate was rather appalling and only one side of the planchet was polished and frosted, so that this one was probably not randomly selected. 

It would be interesting to see if these coins appreciate in value over time due to the connection of this historic annual event. 

Hopefully we'll get to see one posted on the forum.

4 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Yes indeed - the coins would have been handled, you can see from the photos of the 5 sov that there are some marks on Queenies head. 

It is absolutely shocking that they do not uphold the incredible standards on proof issues for their valued, nay treasured, customers set by the Royal Mint :o

:ph34r:

I'm going to go for one of the Queen's Beasts coins. The way I see it, these are less expensive than the MCM PF70s, and have a lower population. Granted the PF70 is much prettier, but in the end each are an ounce of gold, and these may turn out to be just as collectible, albeit for different reasons.

Also I'm a little obsessed with this series, so I'm sure that factors in 😊

I just called to see what they have left, they are selling out fast. No sovereigns, they went yesterday (as @CadmiumGreen said). They had a few queens beasts but these are all the 1oz so a bit out of my price range atm. They have some of the horrible 2017 design britannias if that floats your boat, and some silver bits and bobs. Most the smaller stuff seems to have gone.

In case anyone was wondering (as I was), I verified that these coins are considered part of the stated maximum mintage.  I thought perhaps they might look at them differently as they were not originally intended for public sale, but that's not the case.

Was on hold with The Royal Mint for almost 15 minutes early this morning...to find out the fact that all the Sovereigns were sold. By that point I felt committed...said to heck with it and picked up a 2017 1/4 oz Gold Britannia. I am impartial to the 2017 design, so not overly detested by that year’s design. 

Hopefully the condition of having gone through The Trial of the Pyx isn’t any worse than a @RegalStacker treatment on the 2017 Britannia’s! 🤣

Archived