• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Being stung on eBay

Ojay45

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

may you details of how the coin was packed

to the details of how the envelope was fold

then we will conclude that you do not take good care in packing, that ended up the coin fly off when it hit the sorting machine...the buyer ended up receiving an empty envelope with no nothing in it, ? did you even wrap it with plastic or paper ??...envelope sealed in a Royal Mail plastic bag

package that are not carefully packed, will end up with bad experiences for the buyer & seller

2 hours ago, flim said:

may you details of how the coin was packed

to the details of how the envelope was fold

then we will conclude that you do not take good care in packing, that ended up the coin fly off when it hit the sorting machine...the buyer ended up receiving an empty envelope with no nothing in it, ? did you even wrap it with plastic or paper ??...envelope sealed in a Royal Mail plastic bag

package that are not carefully packed, will end up with bad experiences for the buyer & seller

Yeah I put in jiffy padded envelope and there’s red tape that runs under the seal so I sellertape the sides, he saids it was sealed still so like I haven’t put anything in there or it being riped out in the machine it seems he won’t belive it could of been resealed or taken out He wanted me to send him aother coin but I’m just waiting for eBay to get back to me so know he ain’t done it to every Tom dick and Harry to Get free coins and give a refund makes me laugh he’s said send other one tracked so your covered lol 

15 hours ago, terakris said:

I had a silver coin go missing in transit. Was sent first class signed for and I had a full refund when it never arrived from royal mail, so signed for seemed to be fine with precious metals when it comes to actually claiming. Fine for one or 2 silver coins, otherwise you roll the dice or go special deliver I guess.

What description did you provide on your claim form ?

The compensation terms are a bit 'Brexity' and need a legal mind to unravel because what is a "valuable".
To some a £25 silver coin is a valuable item and to others a trinket so who decides ?
A pair of Levis is more valuable than a 2 oz bullion coin and would be compensated but would the silver coin ?

10811116_Screenshot2018-12-08at15_36_11.png.c21d59ec7d823e9d3011054e5ec30406.png

537365485_Screenshot2018-12-08at15_37_06.png.bd63ecdd78e422ae90554d7ffe654c7d.png

8 hours ago, ScroogeMcDuck said:

Had this happen recently. My other half bought a camera and the box turned up empty. Seller swears blind the camera was in the box. So got ebay sorting it all out. 

Guess good thing is it was just 1 coin and not a 25x tub that has gone missing

Surely the original weight of parcel would sort this one out?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

My 2 cents

Have a look at the buyers feedback and I mean a deep look (I seem to recall a mention that he has the same feedback as you I may be wrong) (rereading I think I am wrong)

If its all good and glowing chances are hes legit 

If theres a couple of bad reviews that look like rows between him and the vendor chances are hes scamming you. Paypal/ebay will come down on his side more than likely and I think they will refund him and backcharge you. I genuinely didnt receive an item once and had to open a case, No questions asked I was refunded by ebay. 

He will no doubt then leave you bad feedback and in my mind that is the worse thing here as I check feedback on every person I buy from on ebay and someone saying they didnt receive the item would make me back away. The feedback system is not always 100% but it is a guide that people use.

99.9% of people on ebay are legit but............

personally I would refund the dude and at least you will be able to respond to his negative feedback then block him. then ebay wont stick another 10% on to add insult to injury.

just my 2 cents

33 minutes ago, bored said:

My 2 cents

Have a look at the buyers feedback and I mean a deep look (I seem to recall a mention that he has the same feedback as you I may be wrong) (rereading I think I am wrong)

If its all good and glowing chances are hes legit 

If theres a couple of bad reviews that look like rows between him and the vendor chances are hes scamming you. Paypal/ebay will come down on his side more than likely and I think they will refund him and backcharge you. I genuinely didnt receive an item once and had to open a case, No questions asked I was refunded by ebay. 

He will no doubt then leave you bad feedback and in my mind that is the worse thing here as I check feedback on every person I buy from on ebay and someone saying they didnt receive the item would make me back away. The feedback system is not always 100% but it is a guide that people use.

99.9% of people on ebay are legit but............

personally I would refund the dude and at least you will be able to respond to his negative feedback then block him. then ebay wont stick another 10% on to add insult to injury.

just my 2 cents

Yeah I didn’t realise get a back charged, yeah the last message he send said ps our feedback are the same and asked for aother coin with tracked so I’m protected lol just gunna have to take the hit like you say then I can respond to feedback was hopeing PayPal would of gotten back to me but looks doubtful before i refund and if it turns out he’s done this quite a lot do anyone think PayPal would refund me or very doubtful as I just refund it tonight 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

What description did you provide on your claim form ?

The compensation terms are a bit 'Brexity' and need a legal mind to unravel because what is a "valuable".
To some a £25 silver coin is a valuable item and to others a trinket so who decides ?
A pair of Levis is more valuable than a 2 oz bullion coin and would be compensated but would the silver coin ?

Exactly what it was. The item was purchased on eBay so I provided the sale receipt which showed the person and address I sent it to along with the price they paid. My item never arrived it was proper lost in the post rather than arrived damaged or empty so was probably a but easier to see I wasn't pulling a fast one.

6 hours ago, terakris said:

Exactly what it was. The item was purchased on eBay so I provided the sale receipt which showed the person and address I sent it to along with the price they paid. My item never arrived it was proper lost in the post rather than arrived damaged or empty so was probably a but easier to see I wasn't pulling a fast one.

so you provided them with the ebay item details ie silver coin and they paid up the compensation? i'm surprised as it goes against their specific terms re: precious metals

6 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

so you provided them with the ebay item details ie silver coin and they paid up the compensation? i'm surprised as it goes against their specific terms re: precious metals

Yep. Tbh I didn't know it didn't cover precious metals. The refund came pretty quickly too in the form of a cheque.

On 09/12/2018 at 01:15, sovereignsteve said:

I have had a successful claim for a missing 2oz kook. I claimed as a numismatic medal, but did send them screenshot of the eBay listing.

they paid up. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

• 2 months later...

I think I about to get stung on eBay...... I have a 1 oz Gold Queens Beast Lion Coin for sale both on the forums and an eBay as well. Tonight received an email that the item was sold on eBay and payment made. My handle Abyss745 on eBay and the buyer is sinky1996 this conversation took place very quickly between us.

1.thumb.png.c54e9ef5daf7d4dc0e95406c8cb2924f.png

Checked my paypal account and funds transferred (but on EBAY HOLD).

I have asked for the buyer to cancel the transaction but failed to do so. I don't want to just click on the Refund this payment in Paypal to avoid any negative feedback I would rather have the buyer cancel the transaction as the coin not yet posted. Any advice on what I should do next?

the buyer can make a request to the seller for the sale to be cancelled, who then carries it out. The fees should then be refunded by ebay. there shouldn't be any issue with feedback.

i think the listing remains ended so you will have to re-list in order for the buyer to change his address and buy again.

I have about 200 sales all 100% feedback, I quit selling on eBay a year or two ago because they keep raising fees and dishonest people were everywhere. I am sorry you are having these problems but it's just not worth it anymore and I have so much to sale.

I had one purchase never arrive, I have had maybe a half dozen cases over the last 15 years, all went my way as sent them emails and pictures and the other sides were a little too quiet when prompted...but I have almost 500 feedback so when going against dr 50 they usually feeleithrr they are conning or messed things up...first time I sold stuff I send them out and a week later they hadn't arrived...turned out I'd put my address in the main area..they turned up at my house...lol.

On my eBay account I cancelled the order stating something wrong with the buyers address. I have confirmation from eBay and Paypal refunded amount. I am certain if I had sent the buyer the coin to a different address then what was requested on Paypal I would have been scammed.

image.png.bd36e9254d827d26ea09931314869e53.png

Archived