• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Being stung on eBay

Ojay45

Hello people ain’t been on for awhile been quite busy, I’ve sold a few coins through eBay and today someone has emailed saying if I had send there coin out which I had on the 6th and basically saying they got a package which was empty and after sending picture know it was what I send and now he wants a refund or a other coin which All my items have arrived and 100% feedback after talking he saids it was in a plastic bag with a leaflet from the Royal Mail looks like a survey, and I’ve told him just to go through eBay to refund it as he seems very sure I’ve send him a empty package and it haven’t been tempted and hasn’t been open with which I know 100% I send a silver kurrgerand from a quick google ive seen a few forums saying people try it on and say it was empty hopeing to get refunded or aother coin or item anyone had this before ? 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if it arrived in a royal mail plastic bag it means it was damaged in the post so could very well have been stolen or lost in transit. Was the item insured? It happened to me once and im sure the lady that delivered it asked me to check the contents before signing for it.

It was send first class large, he seems very adamit that it wasn’t tempted with and it was sealed the packages I use can be tear with a red tape that runs under the seal which I sellertape both sides so only real way to open is to tear it open. 

This is part of the risk of doing business on eBay, one coin like this wipes out 15 others profits.

Also, if the coin was sent with any service other than special delivery it will not be covered. You could always try and say it was not a coin or silver, but that is technically fraud. 

Personally, I would say it is part of the cost of doing business on eBay as a coin seller and you might just have to take the hit.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

In all likelihood, you probably have very little recourse other than to refund the money.  Selling on eBay is tough at times.  Even if you do everything right sometimes things go wrong and you have to fix them.  If after communicating with the customer you still feel that the customer is ripping you off, block him from any future bids.

thanks for the fast reply’s,I will dispute it through PayPal and EBay is not worth it really, i rather store in coins and etc then have money as not so good with it so when I’m in need I just sell if have to and some stuff lose money on and now get robbed 😅 keep you all up to date he said he’s getting on to eBay Royal Mail and PayPal. And when I said go through eBay meaning like a refund he said your not offering to send other coin or refund me like he wanted it there and then or coin send out,All I did fiveshotdan was put large first class on them and send from a post box in Tescos I send 7 packages that day and know all had items in. My fault to not send tracked I send a sov the other month first class never do that again. And very doubt I sell on eBay unless tracked but even then Id have to really need money to do it. 

i sold some bottles of C60 oil a few weeks ago. The buyer contacted to say when were the bottles coming. The thing is the bottles were tracked and i could prove he had picked them up from the post office. This was in Spain and i know they will not give it to him unless he produces his passport - the post office often won't hand over a package at your home until you produce your passport. The post office records to the second when it is picked up. It was all there. i said he needed to go back to the post office b/c the package had been picked up. i didn't hear anymore.

Goldsilver.be video when they package the parcels. When you sell on the silverforum you will not have these problems but on ebay there will be crooks.

If you can video the packing process - do it. The whole thing - sign over the seal - have it on video. When you go to the post office as you hand it over - video the package - this shows the package you put the coins in, it is the package you sealed with sellotaped and signed over flaps and seals - the signatures are exactly the same and this is the package you handed to the post office.

If you do that you can upload the video to youtube and you can provide the link to ebay and paypal. You can prove you sent the coin(s). If it bad that this is what it needs to stop these crooks who steal our coins.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Some good tips sixgun and if ever did sell again would have to video like your saying as these crooks will try anything to get free coins I just hope like fiveshot said he’s try it with other people on eBay in the past and PayPal see I’m not at fault. Yeah fiveshot would never think of doing that again 😅  

Just now, Silviam said:

Contact Royal Mail, see what they can do. If you badger them enough they might just send you the value of the item if you threaten their name over social media

Not a chance. If you’re very lucky they’ll send you a first class stamp to cover your original postage.

Even whey they admit liability, if you’re using a service that isn’t designed for the item you’ve sent, they won’t even think about refunding you.

Fairly recently I lost a 10 oz bar, sent 1st signed for (had done this successfully many times previously, but won’t be doing it again). They admitted the item had been lost and compensated me for my £150 loss with 4 x 1st Class stamps.

Just now, Shinus73 said:

Not a chance. If you’re very lucky they’ll send you a first class stamp to cover your original postage.

Even whey they admit liability, if you’re using a service that isn’t designed for the item you’ve sent, they won’t even think about refunding you.

Fairly recently I lost a 10 oz bar, sent 1st signed for (had done this successfully many times previously, but won’t be doing it again). They admitted the item had been lost and compensated me for my £150 loss with 4 x 1st Class stamps.

Completely agree, they won't give you anything more than the cost of your stamp.

I look at things like this.

So far I have posted over 2500 parcels in the last 2 years. I have had 3 go missing, one of which turned up the day I was going to make a claim, so we didn't bother.

The second was the first claim I ever made, 1 oz silver coin, denied - but got the cost of a 76p stamp - that was a fun cheque to cash at the bank. Fortunately this coin turned up 9 weeks later and the buyer was honest enough to get in touch and pay me for it (this was an eBay sale to boot!)

The third, very similar, except international to Canada. Went missing, was tracked and signed with £50 cover. Vale of items, £200 (I decided to take the risk and not cover fully and I will explain why in a moment). Got the £50 back plus £12 postage. Item then arrived about 7 weeks later, customer got in touch and offered to pay the full amount, I gave him a £62 discount!

Now, to my point (I tend to ramble). I choose to send some of these items without the correct insurance as I have had 3 parcels go missing (although they actually all turned up in the end!) Out of 2500+ so paying the additional money for insurance levels and/or special delivery would have cost me literally £1000's. So I very much will write it off as the cost of doing business if I have an item go missing. For me, I am lucky and seem to have honest customers and some good fortune with my experiences of the post office!

It’s worrying to hear that even sending first class signed that they only gave you first class stamps, I’ve emailed PayPal and see what they say when they get back to me, just bad how people can get away with this. 

2 minutes ago, Ojay45 said:

It’s worrying to hear that even sending first class signed that they only gave you first class stamps, I’ve emailed PayPal and see what they say when they get back to me, just bad how people can get away with this. 

That is what it is - only special delivery covers precious metals

And like any insurance product they will try their hardest not to pay out.

6 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Completely agree, they won't give you anything more than the cost of your stamp.

I look at things like this.

So far I have posted over 2500 parcels in the last 2 years. I have had 3 go missing, one of which turned up the day I was going to make a claim, so we didn't bother.

The second was the first claim I ever made, 1 oz silver coin, denied - but got the cost of a 76p stamp - that was a fun cheque to cash at the bank. Fortunately this coin turned up 9 weeks later and the buyer was honest enough to get in touch and pay me for it (this was an eBay sale to boot!)

The third, very similar, except international to Canada. Went missing, was tracked and signed with £50 cover. Vale of items, £200 (I decided to take the risk and not cover fully and I will explain why in a moment). Got the £50 back plus £12 postage. Item then arrived about 7 weeks later, customer got in touch and offered to pay the full amount, I gave him a £62 discount!

Now, to my point (I tend to ramble). I choose to send some of these items without the correct insurance as I have had 3 parcels go missing (although they actually all turned up in the end!) Out of 2500+ so paying the additional money for insurance levels and/or special delivery would have cost me literally £1000's. So I very much will write it off as the cost of doing business if I have an item go missing. For me, I am lucky and seem to have honest customers and some good fortune with my experiences of the post office!

I have a similar view - I still use the  uninsured signed for services for 1 or 2 oz coins, as the 10 oz bar is the only signed for package I’ve lost in eight years of selling.

Yeah never knew that metal is not covered thanks for the info byb and that’s lucky to have all 3 come up and for them to say about it aswell, just gets me the fact that makes me look a fool sending a empty package and for him not to even say it may of been open or any trust in there must of been a coin in there even if someone stolen it.i said I was sorry it’s gone missing and never had this problem and he’s reply this what you think like blackmail:

Ok will you replace the coin recorded delivery so you are protected then please confirm and I will give good feedback and cancell the case with PayPal and eBay. P.s look at my feedback you will find it is like yours.

I sell on ebay but low cost items, mostly Olympic 50p's etc with a very good turnover. If a order is over £20 I send it sign for. I have been doing this for 3 years and I have only had a few going missing. Biggest hit was a kew garden 50p which the customer stated was not in the envelope. Royal Mail did nothing as it was signed for, and ebay gave the customer a full refunded. However there are a lot of honest people buying on ebay  If something arrives late and they tell me , although  I have given them a refund/other coins. If it is under £15 I tell them to keep the coins and thanks them for their honesty. To me honesty is a very important thing to me and I believe in most of us. I have bought from various members of this forum with no problem. That's why a love this forum and all the information/advice you get here. 

So what are your guys thoughts on how to sell coins? If you are not really a dealer or business, but you may trade or sell coins somewhat regular,  this can really hurt you. I do realize it’s different if you are shipping thousands of packages a year. But on a small level this is a big loss. Especially if you are just trying to get some money together on EBay.. What about local coin shops do they pay some of the premium for more valuable or graded coins? I was watching I think either BackyardBullions video or someone’s video on exit strategy. If you are only trying to sell one or a few coins then that really sucks when you get burned like this. I feel your pain Ojay45 😩

1 hour ago, Ojay45 said:

Compensation is covered in detailed fine print which you can read on the Royal Mail Website.
They also specifically mention that if sending valuables, money etc the ONLY service that will cover loss is SD.

I had a silver coin go missing in transit. Was sent first class signed for and I had a full refund when it never arrived from royal mail, so signed for seemed to be fine with precious metals when it comes to actually claiming. Fine for one or 2 silver coins, otherwise you roll the dice or go special deliver I guess.

Archived