• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver dates and prices

ScroogeMcDuck

Couldnt find anything on here through the threads.

Why does the same silver coin but with a diferent year stamped on it garner different prices? 

Surely silver is silver and it doesnt age like other metals, so never understood why one coin for eg 2018 costs less than a 2017 even though its the same coin.

The Canadian silver maple for 1997 had only 100,970 minted whereas the 2014 maple had 29,245,000 minted. Not many people could claim a complete date run on this series once it ends so the 1997 will have a premium price.

Scarcity is the main reason. Some people would rather collect a hard to get year than a mass produced year. I'm completing a date run of silver maples and have eleven of the 1997's but I only need one. I'll sell off the others once they start to go up in price a bit more once the date run ends. The only thing that would put a spanner in the works on this is if her majesty croaks and they've only made less than the 1997's in a future year!

Collectibility, rarity, ease of acquisition and of course market price.
You could also argue that why should a mass produced ( 1 million ) Maple cost more than a blank round etc ?
I don't understand why people will pay many hundreds of pounds for a particular handbag or designer shoes when they are just small bits of stitched leather.

People like to collect and in numismatic circles date runs are “cool” or desirable. I for example am building a full date run of Brits and Silver eagles. Funnily enoug am getting the rarer eagles cheaper than Brits, go figure.

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived