• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

muenzdachs

Libertad Gold Reverse Proof 2018 are ahead...

Recommended Posts

Just now, Kookaburracollector said:

Just had a look on the APMEX website..the PCGS PR70 Gold Reverse Proofs are in stock at $2001..that’s some mark up in one day..@*tada* well done on getting in early. At least some of the people who appreciated these coins early on have got theirs at a reasonable price, before the speculators moved in. Well done you..😀😀😀

I'd say they underpriced 1oz initially (my guess is due to their cost base potentially lower than other dealer), but 1/2oz is another story...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1000 mintage - pah, common as muck compared to the key year proof Libs!!! :P

Just (sorta!) joking (as Lib followers know what is key), these will still do really well imvho, be worth loads in years to come (depending on pick up price).

If you grade get the Mexico label, lovely :)

Edited by kimchi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, *tada* said:

I wouldn't be so sure.. the bank of mexico likes to surprise us. :P

Yes indeed, they like their 'surprises' lol. But I don't think they will be re-minting the really key year Lib proofs 4+ years later, they've never done it before!

13 minutes ago, terakris said:

Yeah gone for the Mexico label. 

A wise choice imo if going for grading, they look lovely with that :)

Edited by kimchi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Yes indeed, they like their 'surprises' lol. But I don't think they will be re-minting the really key year Lib proofs 4+ years later, they've never done it before!

Yep I would cry if they produce more 2014 coins, because my wallet would run dry.

That said, in early 2000s they've be using restrikes on pesos that's dated 1947. Very beautiful large coin. They probably will do more as they sell well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New member here and a big Libertad fan.  Thought I would share my b4 and after pic.  I purchased this from Don Bailey and submitted it within hours of receiving it.   At the time I received notification of results it was the only First Release graded, now the population is 4.  Happy I got in on it early.

A439E1EC-C5A4-4528-A4AE-07EA515C3557.jpeg.9c0e4569380535ef7e319e172437dfa6.jpeg

BEF5E2C8-9124-4DE8-8707-E34CA2902DDF.jpeg

4E5598CD-5F64-4D68-BF8A-196326D4012E.jpeg

Edited by AngelAir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ablist said:

Wow all of the MS70scame and went while I was asleep! I saw this post and thought I would get one. It’s 5:45 am in Cali... Wow.. 

Apmex still has the 1oz MS70 available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ablist said:

Strange it showed they were sold out a few hours ago, now it says there are 5 of the MS70s. Yes very high premium. Who knows what is going on with them...

Apmex drip feed to gauge popularity, then increase the prices as the coins sell, they hold enough back to increase the prices each time they "run out" its a tactic that Apmex are quite famous for, price gouging 

Edited by shortstack68

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Apmex drip feed to gauge popularity, then increase the prices as the coins sell, they hold enough back to increase the prices each time they "run out" its a tactic that Apmex are quite famous for, price gouging 

Yes that’s true.  They aren’t my favorite place to buy from.  They also cherry pick limited run raw coins. A friend bought 2 of the 1/2 oz RP gold Libertads on the initial sale @ about $750 ea I think.  Neither coin will make 70.  Another dealer told me this is their stop loss policy.  Selling lesser quality coins cheap to move them on.   I wouldn’t buy one from them for that reason.  Glad I was able to get one from Don Bailey and make the First Release cut off date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AngelAir said:

Yes that’s true.  They aren’t my favorite place to buy from.  They also cherry pick limited run raw coins. A friend bought 2 of the 1/2 oz RP gold Libertads on the initial sale @ about $750 ea I think.  Neither coin will make 70.  Another dealer told me this is their stop loss policy.  Selling lesser quality coins cheap to move them on.   I wouldn’t buy one from them for that reason.  Glad I was able to get one from Don Bailey and make the First Release cut off date.

I think they actually get new releases before they're released to the public so that they get get them in for grading and back quickly so they can make quick gains on the 70s they get back......Stiffing people all over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

I think they actually get new releases before they're released to the public so that they get get them in for grading and back quickly so they can make quick gains on the 70s they get back......Stiffing people all over

Like I said in my previous statement, they stop loss sell on lesser quality coins at a discount.  At the same time they are submitting coins for grading. 

This keeps them ahead of the game and they get most of the 70’s submitted.   

 I bought from Don Bailey and had my coin in hand b4 many others because he flew to Mexico to pick them up,  Release date by NGC standard was 12-07. You had 30 days from then to submit for early or first release   Due to volume Apmex submits to PCGS, I suspect their cutoff date was later.

i did just purchase a PF70 from Apmex off of eBay.  The last one supposedly.   

A few minutes after I realize it’s not a first strike label but just a PF70.  Still price wasn’t that bad.  Probably sell it.

 

2F827FF3-163D-498C-A414-65104D7CEA5C.png

Edited by AngelAir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AngelAir said:

Like I said in my previous statement, they stop loss sell on lesser quality coins at a discount.  At the same time they are submitting coins for grading. 

This keeps them ahead of the game and they get most of the 70’s submitted.   

 I bought from Don Bailey and had my coin in hand b4 many others because he flew to Mexico to pick them up,  Release date by NGC standard was 12-07. You had 30 days from then to submit for early or first release   Due to volume Apmex submits to PCGS, I suspect their cutoff date was later.

i did just purchase a PF70 from Apmex off of eBay.  The last one supposedly.   

A few minutes after I realize it’s not a first strike label but just a PF70.  Still price wasn’t that bad.  Probably sell it.

2F827FF3-163D-498C-A414-65104D7CEA5C.png

Is that a RP you bought or just a proof?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AngelAir said:

Just a proof now that I look at it again.  The description starts out with population numbers for the rp though.  

 

I think you probably bought a proof not a reverse proof. I don’t think APMEX put the graded 1/2oz reverse proof on eBay because their own website sold out in a morning

Edited by *tada*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What am I missing here ....

APMEX are currently selling the Gold Reverse Proof 1oz Libertad for c$1556.

They are selling the same coin slabbed by PCGS  PR 70 for $2106. That’s a $550 premium!!

Surely it makes more sense to buy the cheeper coin and get it graded yourself. If if gets a70 grade you are $500 better off. If it grades lower you have lost nothing, it is still worth what you paid for it...sell it and try again...

Do you Libertad collectors in the USA go through this process every year (for the proofs) I.e. supply is drip fed and you are tortured unnecessarily before you can get one..seems a bit harsh this side of the pond.

At least you can get them, I have not managed to find one UK dealer that’s could supply me one to date..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

What am I missing here ....

APMEX are currently selling the Gold Reverse Proof 1oz Libertad for c$1556.

They are selling the same coin slabbed by PCGS  PR 70 for $2106. That’s a $550 premium!!

Surely it makes more sense to buy the cheeper coin and get it graded yourself. If if gets a70 grade you are $500 better off. If it grades lower you have lost nothing, it is still worth what you paid for it...sell it and try again...

Do you Libertad collectors in the USA go through this process every year (for the proofs) I.e. supply is drip fed and you are tortured unnecessarily before you can get one..seems a bit harsh this side of the pond.

At least you can get them, I have not managed to find one UK dealer that’s could supply me one to date..

Non key date 70 graded 1oz proof gold libertad generally trades around $2000 depending on mintage. APMEX is benefitting from their major distributor status where they can get the first strike labels earlier than anyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@*tada*  Thanks for the reply. So it’s the First Strike status that people are paying for, and not the 70 grade especially..that’s .interesting. 

Last question I promise..what is the definition of a first strike with this Libertad, and is this definition always the same each year..

And finally.....if the mint had a few teething problems at the start of the production process, then many of the first strikes could get a 69 grade and later ones, (not first strikes) could get 70’s...that would be an interesting scenario for collectors..I know which one I would prefer..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.