• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Libertad Gold Reverse Proof 2018 are ahead...

muenzdachs

32 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Surely it makes more sense to buy the cheeper coin and get it graded yourself. If if gets a70 grade you are $500 better off. If it grades lower you have lost nothing, it is still worth what you paid for it...sell it and try again...

I think technically this is true, but If you buy ungraded from APMEX I think its pretty much guaranteed that you wont get a 70.  Unfortunately they cherry pick the coins that they grade, then sell the rest.  I would also probably never buy graded from APMEX.  Their prices are inflated.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ZatStackz said:

I think technically this is true, but If you buy ungraded from APMEX I think its pretty much guaranteed that you wont get a 70.  Unfortunately they cherry pick the coins that they grade, then sell the rest.  I would also probably never buy graded from APMEX.  Their prices are inflated.

Thank you for the heads up on that one..All going well, the originator of this thread Muenzdachs (Germany) will be sending me one this week..fingers crossed it is perfect.

5 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:
11 minutes ago, ZatStackz said:

Thank you for the heads up on that one..All going well, the originator of this thread Muenzdachs (Germany) will be sending me one this week..fingers crossed it is perfect.

This is just from my personal experience and what I've heard and this forum and others.  Of all the dealers that I have ordered from, the quality of the coins from Apmex have been the worst.
I also have an order coming from Muenzdachs.  My first international order from a dealer.  Also hoping its perfect B)

I'm curious what others experiences are. I believe @Sal got some libertads from Apmex.  Any quality issues with yours?

7 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

@*tada*  Thanks for the reply. So it’s the First Strike status that people are paying for, and not the 70 grade especially..that’s .interesting. 

Last question I promise..what is the definition of a first strike with this Libertad, and is this definition always the same each year..

And finally.....if the mint had a few teething problems at the start of the production process, then many of the first strikes could get a 69 grade and later ones, (not first strikes) could get 70’s...that would be an interesting scenario for collectors..I know which one I would prefer..

There aren’t many first strike label of gold proof libertads, I sometimes find it a PITA to even prove to PCGS that the coin I submitted (generally I’m the first) is no greater than 30 days from initial release as bank of Mexico doesn’t really publish their schedule. NGC often publishes the cutoff dates which make things a lot easier.

The situation you mentioned is pretty rare. I heard large dealer can work with PCGS to only get 70 worthy coins graded in batch submission. Libertad gold proof first strikes are a very recent thing (since 2017 when APMEX gets their green labels, NGC is a bit earlier, maybe since 2014). 

Generally you want to submit new issues early (ideally the same year), if you can find one worth grading. Keep the box and COA as they are equally important.

25 minutes ago, ZatStackz said:

This is just from my personal experience and what I've heard and this forum and others.  Of all the dealers that I have ordered from, the quality of the coins from Apmex have been the worst.
I also have an order coming from Muenzdachs.  My first international order from a dealer.  Also hoping its perfect B)

I'm curious what others experiences are. I believe @Sal got some libertads from Apmex.  Any quality issues with yours?

They all look pretty good to my eye. I think the grading process is hit or miss but my guess is a few 70's and no worse than a 69 on any others. They all look perfect to me. 

3 minutes ago, Sal said:

They all look pretty good to my eye. I think the grading process is hit or miss but my guess is a few 70's and no worse than a 69 on any others. They all look perfect to me. 

In saying that I suspect that if you sent 10 identical coins in to be graded the grading company is not going to give you 10/10 70's nor are they going to give you 10/10 69's. 

5 hours ago, ZatStackz said:

I heard from Muenzdachs yesterday, and the 1oz Reverse Proofs are in stock (if that is what you have ordered) so hopefully you won’t have to wait too long to get your order. The communication I have had from them has been excellent, and have only heard good things about this company. Fingers crossed for us both.🤞

9 minutes ago, Theo said:

Question? Why is the PCGS70 RP Gold Libertad selling out on Ebay but NGC 70 ER is still there? 

Behold the PCGS premium and the magical power of APMEX special label 

3 minutes ago, SilverSkoobz said:

I am going to order a 1/2 oz from apmex later tonight.  Odds are it won't grade out as a 70 from PCGS but I've read NGC is a little more liberal with its grading.  Would it be worth sending to NGC over PCGS to try and get that 70 grading?

Wait until I get mine back from NGC and I'll let you know how they grade out. I bought mine from Apmex as well. PF70 is unlikely

1 minute ago, Sal said:

Wait until I get mine back from NGC and I'll let you know how they grade out. I bought mine from Apmex as well. PF70 is unlikely

How long ago did you send it in?  Right now the 1/2 is selling for $808.45USD.  Hope it doesn't go up much more. 

I bought them over a month ago. Apmex has a deal with PCGS where they send say 100 Libertads to PCGS and PCGS will look over the coins and sent back to Apmex any coin that PCGS  is  confident won't slab a 70. I bought mine the first day they went on sale from Apmex so I am hoping Apmex didn't have time to send any out to be pre graded. The price won't move any more than the spot price of gold IMO. 

On 01/02/2019 at 18:24, *tada* said:

IMG_0417.thumb.jpg.a7cffa9b7820d722303ee01aea071f76.jpgIMG_0419.thumb.jpg.e711bc5ba1e15ffa6b17bbde83178ca4.jpg

Very lucky you are indeed. I wish all my coins were PCGS Secure Shield! I have a feeling it’s going to be hard to get a 70 at this point without a crazy premium. Thanks for sharing 👍

29 minutes ago, Ablist said:

Very lucky you are indeed. I wish all my coins were PCGS Secure Shield! I have a feeling it’s going to be hard to get a 70 at this point without a crazy premium. Thanks for sharing 👍

Thanks - I almost always use secure shield service, but do hope they become more consistent in coin imaging.

I think 69 is fine unless something is apparent and distracting. On smaller coins (1/4, 1/10 and 1/20 onza) 69 is quite hard to tell from 70. I still think the 70 grade through rate for the reverse proof coins should be high given the large matte surface, but so far the results are puzzling and I'm not sure why APMEX doesn't get more of these in 70.

4 hours ago, *tada* said:

Thanks - I almost always use secure shield service, but do hope they become more consistent in coin imaging.

I think 69 is fine unless something is apparent and distracting. On smaller coins (1/4, 1/10 and 1/20 onza) 69 is quite hard to tell from 70. I still think the 70 grade through rate for the reverse proof coins should be high given the large matte surface, but so far the results are puzzling and I'm not sure why APMEX doesn't get more of these in 70.

Did you send the coin info be graded or did you buy the coin slabbed? Care to say what dealer you bought the coin from? Thanks

5 hours ago, Ablist said:

PCGS has graded 62 2018 RP 1 ounce Libertads and 12 1/2 ounce RP libertads and ALL have graded PF70. Wonder how many were submitted by dealers vs. individuals? Remember, If a dealer like Apmex sends a Libertad in to be graded and the grading house say's it isn't going to get a PF70 they send the coin back to Apmex to be sold to use the public.

Archived