• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

austrian maria coin

craig12

these coins seem to be all over the shop on e bay  does anyone know what would be a good price for them i think theyre 28.8 g   some say re strike  some dont  some are in cases like medallions , some have beat up edges , they literally go from completed auctions  £15-£150  some buy it nows are only £15-£20  

i love the coin but dont understand the pricing one  iota

i suppose condition is everything

theres some real  weird looking ones where  the pattern can hardly be made out on the coin

The majority of the Maria Theresa Thaler coins are re-strikes that are much more modern than the 1780 date on the coin suggests. I believe there are around 390 million of these coins issued (re-strikes). Specs are weight - 28.068g, diameter between 39.5 and 41mm, fineness 0.833 and contain 0.752 troy oz. At current silver prices worth around £10 incl vat. I've picked up a few around £11 - they are 3/4 of a full troy oz..Don't have a clue at the older versions as I'm not a collector but I can imagine rarer dates/versions are worth a whole lot more..

Rarer old ones can be worth a lot, but being able to "read" these coins is a dark art to say the least.

The tiniest detail can tell you the date and mint, it's very in-depth.

Nice big coins though, I used to have a load of them.

Stacker since 2013

I have a couple of tubes of them

1780x are re-strikes These coins were in common use up to maybe 40 years ago.. The proof ones look really nice

If you can pick them up for £10 including postage you've got a good deal

Also an interesting story is the life of Maria Theresia.. worth a bit of research if you are interested in history

I think i still have about 20 of them for sale

if anyone is interested

They are in excellent condition and I even sourced capsules big enough for them :-)

I wont do £10 each though lol

Lol i wouldn't sell mine for £10 either :-)

Most wil fit in ASE capsules although some are 41.5 dia and are too big

I store mine in eagle tubes

I carry one with me all the time and people seem fascinated by them

they are really nice looking coins to have, I just really don't like

restrikes.(I would happily buy a 2014 dated maria teresa thaler,

as I can't afford an original) all restirikes sell for close to bullion value.

a proof is a kind of special case as there are unlikely any known

original 1780 proofs, so proofs must be a restrike and cannot be

passed off as an original.

HH

sorry guys to go over this again  are all coins related to this look /image  made of silver  , ive just seen one on e bay that said solid silver austrian hungarian thaler commemorative medal  with a different figure head on it 

whatever the description, heads design are they all silver ? 

theres no copy medallions out there made of nickel is there 

i guess what im saying is am i ok to bid away on all diferent types of thaler knowing i will receive a guaranteed silver piece 

thank you , i do love these thalers, and im trying to learn about large junk silver coins that can be bought at a good price , apart from the thaler could you tell me of any other large diamiter silver coins that can be picked up cheaply  , crowns, florins etc

Hard to say to be honest you need a little luck

british pre decimals can be cheap but then selling them again is a pain

Morgan & peace dollars are good they sell quickly but your paying above spot for those

Thats the thing what you can normally buy cheaply also sells cheaply  unless your lucky

This might help a little

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-guide-to-foreign-silver-coins.207779/

Archived