• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Canadian buyer

Silverdad

Brand new and hoping for silver near spot.  Relatively new to silver overall and having trouble getting below $2 over spot locally.  If anyone can point me in the right direction, have any to sell or want to tell me I am crazy then I would appreciate it. 

A couple of the bigger dealers I know of are:

Canadian PMX - https://canadianpmx.com/

Silver Gold Express - https://www.silvergoldexpress.com/

I've used Canadian PMX and had good experience with them. You might also want to check through the official list of Royal Canadian Mint dealers in Canada:

https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/customer-service/bullion-dna-dealer-locator-10900014?lang=en_CA

I've found a couple of times that some of the smaller dealers on that list might only stock a handful of items but their prices are notably lower. If you are purely in this to stack it is worth taking the time to shop around as prices will differ. You can also look south of the border though my general advise there is between what you'll lose in an unfavourable exchange of currency combined with shipping I don't imagine it would ever work out cheaper but it could be worth a look.

Happy to help - your mail forwarding could work out well for you as there are (were?) a handful of US dealers that offer 10oz at spot - I can't be too helpful with details here as it is just something I've read about and seen in a YouTube vid or two.

Another thing you might want to look in to is the market for older silver content coins. This is one of the best ways to buy cheap silver. In Canada all pre 1968 dimes, quarters (check your change!) 50cents and $1 coins are 80% silver and generally as these coins have very little numismatic value they tend to be sold at spot price.

6 hours ago, Silverdad said:

Brand new and hoping for silver near spot.  Relatively new to silver overall and having trouble getting below $2 over spot locally.  If anyone can point me in the right direction, have any to sell or want to tell me I am crazy then I would appreciate it. 

Silver.com, BGASC, and SDBullion usually have the lowest prices. I'll have an article out soon that systematically compares a bunch of North American dealers' prices, so if there's any silver under $2 over spot, it will likely be in the article. Your best bet is to look at larger sizes like 10 oz bars, kilo bars, or a roll of 20 or 25 rounds or coins, maybe even a monster box.

There's a Canadian online dealer called SilverGoldBull, and they offer a best price guarantee, where they'll match any competitor's price. So whatever you find at the above-mentioned dealers you could probably get from SGB for the same price. The only hitch is you have to call them to get their price match, but that should only take a few minutes.

It is easy to buy silver in Canada. I purchased some nice stuff at PMX. They are located in Toronto. Got it by UPS. You can read more about it here: https://medium.com/datadriveninvestor/how-i-finally-got-some-real-money-7a2842e87ee9?source=friends_link&sk=a6b162beac0656ed50781e9416296287

You could also try a small local silver / gold buyer in your area.  I know a guy who buys silver at $12 CDN per oz. & sells it at $17 to some buyer.  Contact a silver buyer and see if he will sell at a below spot price to you and cut out the bigger buyer that he sells to.  Just a thought.

35 minutes ago, Silverdad said:

And what would you buy?

That depends on your budget and what you intend to do with your metal.  If you’re trying to save your wealth in something outside of your currency then i’d just buy some maple leafs or bars of both gold and silver, something with a low premium if it’s generic.  I personally buy bullion and numismatic coins, but the numismatics I buy are never with the intention to sell, only for pleasure and long term savings that will be passed to my children. Kitco sells some bars made by the RCM that say kitco on the back for small premiums and are very liquid

Thanks!  The only numismatics that have caught my interest are a few Chris Duane.  I tend to cringe paying the premium but some of those designs are sweet.  I sell comic books and generally avoid collecting.  I am focused on stacking so i’lltake Another look. Initially Kitco seemed very pricey.  

On 29/11/2018 at 05:23, Ryland said:

If I lived in Canada I’d just buy from kitco

I can't overstate how bad an idea this is. As far as I've been able to determine, there is never any reason to buy from Kitco under normal circumstances. Three reasons:

1. Their prices are significantly higher than many competitors, especially compared to top competitors like Silver.com, BGASC, and SDBullion.
  2. Their shipping fees are out of this world. $15 for 30 day delivery? What kind of carrier would take 30 days, or even 20, giving Kitco 10 days to clear a check or whatever they need to do? Will someone arrive at your door on horseback? 30 days? And they charge $35 for "Standard" 3-4 day shipping. Both of these figures are wildly out of step with the market.
  3. You can't actually buy normal bullion from Kitco most of the time. For example, try to find a standard 2018 BU Silver Maple Leaf on their website. There isn't one. They sell a "random year" Maple, and they sell rolls of 25 "MintFirst" 2018 Maples. But unlike every other dealer I know of, they don't sell normal, new 2018 Maples straight up, in singles and up. The "MintFirst" business is a gimmick that has spread like wildfire throughout the industry over the past couple of years. Kitco calls is MintFirst. APMEX calls it MintDirect. SDBullion calls it MintCertified. They all seem to mean the same thing. These terms basically translate into "new". They take the rolls from the mints and put a "tamper-evident seal" on them, what you and I would call "tape". Some of them, like APMEX, will sell singles as MintDirect, where they ever so carefully remove a coin from a roll and seal it in a plastic package. It's a gimmick, the kind of thing an MBA would think of to extract more money from customers, and possibly exploits people with OCD over the possibility that their coins had even been touched by human hands...

Kitco's prices are bad, but their shipping costs take them out of the picture entirely. There are many, many dealers that will beat Kitco on price, and who don't use horses for 30 day delivery.

I want to be blunt here. So many people on these boards overpay for bullion and even as a social psychologist I'm dumbfounded by it. When you invest in silver, buy from the dealer with the lowest prices (assuming they're established dealers – any of the major dealers). Pay less, not more. The margins in this business are thin. Be disciplined. Never buy from Kitco or APMEX unless they have a great sale (which they may never have). Buy from the lowest price dealers. I don't understand all you guys who are lighting your money on fire paying more than you have to for silver. Use the internet. Use my upcoming price comparison article. Pay the bare minimum, since we're talking about identical products that are the same across all dealers.

Since i’m new I opted not to be as blunt.  lol

kitco does seem quite pricey.  I have a local dealer that is ok with $2 over on small purchases.  Seems to be among the best option right now.  The lowest for larger purchases seems to be silvergoldbull but their ebay listings as opposed to the site.  Strikes me as odd but they didn’t follow my logic when I messaged.  

• 1 month later...
On 22/11/2018 at 17:57, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

A couple of the bigger dealers I know of are:

Canadian PMX - https://canadianpmx.com/

Silver Gold Express - https://www.silvergoldexpress.com/

I've used Canadian PMX and had good experience with them. You might also want to check through the official list of Royal Canadian Mint dealers in Canada:

https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/customer-service/bullion-dna-dealer-locator-10900014?lang=en_CA

I've found a couple of times that some of the smaller dealers on that list might only stock a handful of items but their prices are notably lower. If you are purely in this to stack it is worth taking the time to shop around as prices will differ. You can also look south of the border though my general advise there is between what you'll lose in an unfavourable exchange of currency combined with shipping I don't imagine it would ever work out cheaper but it could be worth a look.

Did u ever order on silver gold express ? right now they have silver eagle at 1$ over spot and 2$ RCM 10 Oz bar im thinking about ordering it

6 hours ago, bubbateux said:

Did u ever order on silver gold express ? right now they have silver eagle at 1$ over spot and 2$ RCM 10 Oz bar im thinking about ordering it

I have ordered from them - completely fine with no problems at all. I opted for store pick up since when I am in Canada visiting family and friends I am in the GTA. If you aren't able to pick up from them then I would search and see if you have a local dealer that you can get it from. Gold Silver Express almost certainly won't be the cheapest option if you have to pay their CAD$21.95 delivery fee on top.

As an addition their price for the 25th anniversary Maples is really good. Be worth getting a couple of them if placing an order

sorry to hijack this thread but it seemed a good way to reach Canadian stacker/forumites.

do you come across many pre-1968 circulating silver coins? my son is in Canada for a lengthy period and i was wondering if it were worthwhile asking him to keep an eye out in his change.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

45 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

sorry to hijack this thread but it seemed a good way to reach Canadian stacker/forumites.

do you come across many pre-1968 circulating silver coins? my son is in Canada for a lengthy period and i was wondering if it were worthwhile asking him to keep an eye out in his change.

It is always worth while to keep an eye out but from my experience you don't see them much. I look whenever I am back there and even do some roll hunting but it is very rare. When I was younger I remember going through coins with my grandma and she'd always pick out the 67 dimes and quarters. I think she just liked the centennial designs - no idea if she knew of the silver content. Frankly I wish I knew back then!

Archived