• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Comedy Gold "Sovereigns" and an Arabic Guinea

h103efa

• 6 months later...

I love these. I bought a couple 1gm ones when was out in India. 

I would like to point out, unfortunately that your Saudi Guinea is also a restrike. The “MOM 22” on it indicates it as a jewellery piece :( 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

On 14/11/2018 at 18:49, h103efa said:

As i mentioned earlier today in another thread (@NRSovereign, @MickB), its often customary (indian heritage) to receive gold (jewellry and coins) during weddings or birth of children.

I wish the UK had the same custom, it'd be a darn sight better than receiving , towels, toaster or a box of pampers. ;)

11 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

I wish the UK had the same custom, it'd be a darn sight better than receiving , towels, toaster or a box of pampers. ;)

I am trying to do this for my kids. My daughter got a 1oz 9ct heart and my son a 9ct Lego brick. Like the idea of them having assets in physical form. Been buying/ having them jewellery made from birth too.

It might sound stupid but I think of the Jews who couldn't escape Germany as they didn't have assets to sell or use as bribes. I see it as a get the hell out of dodge card should they or their children ever need it.

Edited by lightjaw

1 hour ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I would like to point out, unfortunately that your Saudi Guinea is also a restrike. The “MOM 22” on it indicates it as a jewellery piece :( 

Cheers, yep realised yesterday after looking at ngc graded ones on interweb! 

Probably reflecting back I think the jeweller checking said it was as a re strike. With current gold prices I might visit hgm and covert all these "fakes" to a real sov or 2. But in do like the weirdness of these Indian and Middle East real gold fakes! 

3 minutes ago, h103efa said:

Probably reflecting back I think the jeweller checking said it was as a re strike. With current gold prices I might visit hgm and covert all these "fakes" to a real sov or 2. But in do like the weirdness of these Indian and Middle East real gold fakes! 

If selling pm me, may be interested in a couple and would pay 1% over HGM rates no probs 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

• 1 year later...

Post revisited!

We have a upcoming family wedding. A small affair due to current goverment guidelines, but it meant some more of these "comedy" jewellery gold sovereigns (fake sovs, real gold) came out of the family woodwork. Soon to be re-gifted to other family members. There's probably a few real full and half sovs in there too?

I tried to show the thinness between the 1g, 2g and half sovereign sizes!

image.thumb.png.3a6c1d847d59d0db8e01dde50cfb6deb.png

image.thumb.png.6277379000ac3053f8fb6c8035d3e5f3.png

image.thumb.png.201b639841b7a70c359f4e29dde080bf.png

Edited by h103efa
duplicate photo removed

3 hours ago, h103efa said:

Post revisited!

We have a upcoming family wedding. A small affair due to current goverment guidelines, but it meant some more of these "comedy" jewellery gold sovereigns (fake sovs, real gold) came out of the family woodwork. Soon to be re-gifted to other family members. There's probably a few real full and half sovs in there too?

Can you not ask for genuine sovereigns? If I received fake wedding gifts I'd be pissed. Imagine getting a fake Kitchen Aid haha

38 minutes ago, Prophecy said:

Can you not ask for genuine sovereigns? If I received fake wedding gifts I'd be pissed. Imagine getting a fake Kitchen Aid haha

Gold is the gift, not what it looks like. As i explained earlier, most givers dont know about sovs etc, they just look to gift a weight of gold. They buy from jewellers, they wouldnt even know about bullion dealers etc. 

6 hours ago, h103efa said:

Post revisited!

Why are they between your teeth? Were you checking for authenticity? 

• 1 year later...
On 14/11/2018 at 18:49, h103efa said:

As i mentioned earlier today in another thread (@NRSovereign, @MickB), its often customary (indian heritage) to receive gold (jewellry and coins) during weddings or birth of children.

Some of the gold received is often in the style of sovereign coins but are not actually real sovereigns, just gold copies. The reason is people just buy for the gold weight, they dont know or care that it is in the form of a sovereign look.

Here is a selection of such coins we have received as gifts. They have been verified as real gold by a jeweller friend of ours. Also ive put a photo of a Full Arabic guinea we received for your interest.

Coins are shown in order of weight
Top ~1g (1/8 sov)
2nd row ~2g (1/4 sov)
3rd row ~4g (1/2 sov)
Bottom ~8g (full sov)

IMG_8265.JPG

IMG_8270.JPG

IMG_8263.JPG

IMG_8264.JPG

All quite entertaining, but it is astounding how many people who own these think they are genuine...

... and there is at least one well-known dealer who might not know the Saudi Guinea is fake.

😎

Chards

On 01/06/2019 at 08:30, ilovesilverireallydo said:

On 01/06/2019 at 10:00, h103efa said:

"Restrike" is a euphemism, for fake!

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/restrike-gold-sovereigns-and-other-coins/168

😎

Chards

On 01/06/2019 at 08:35, HighlandTiger said:

You didn't get a Chards Mystery Box did you?

https://www.chards.co.uk/chards-xmas-mystery-box/15477

😎

On 19/08/2020 at 15:36, dicker said:

The 1958 looks genuine enough (on my iPhone screen anyway)

Best

Dicker

Never trust an iPhone!

😎

Chards