• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

23 hours ago, Madstacks said:

L3_781.4_96.6.thumb.jpg.854a0602dad1c87e31034e38c469aba5.jpg

Ended up going for this for now, the new ceramic bezel Longines Hydroconquest in the new 43mm size. I have big wrists and like big watches - £981 after code with francis gaye, im sure could be sorced on the grey market cheaper but im happy, appart from the fact i have to wait a month as orders are backed up😕

I do want to get an omega one day, but this fits my price bracket a bit better right now. I could have got a black one cheaper at around £926.50 but for me it has to be blue. Stunning dial can be seen in this video at 4.10 seconds. 

Longines make great watches and at a more wallet friendly price, not that £981 is exactly cheap for a watch and defo a bit of a self indulgent splurge.

A watch that if looked after can be passed on down the family with a timeless design.

Edited by mr-dead

Cheers Mr Dead - I do think I have made the right choice on this one. 

I first wanted the Omega Seamaster 300, but i tend to like my watches bigger than 41mm so id probably looking at a planet ocean and they are even more. 

The Longines seems to offer most of the quality at a fraction of the price - official servicing seems to be about half the price, and is still from a prestigious watch company with a strong history, they seem to be somewhat underappreciated and undervalued and being a serial bargain hunter that calls to me too! But to be honest I was sold on it as soon as i saw it, the price is a bonus. 

I still would like an omega one day in the future, but now I will have a nice diver i think it would have to be the moonwatch. 

Edited by Madstacks

Not so much a watch but I just treated myself to a cheap Chinese watch winder which seems to be doing the job fine 

0PWsKNP.jpg

I'm into my Japanese watches myself, love Sekios and Orients in particular, just find them to be straight honest watches at a reasonable price, I have really scrawny wrists so the 37mm of the Seiko is ideal.  That Longines Hydroconquest is a really nice watch and is affordable and I  might treat myself to that one as well, I'm a little disappointed that Swatch seems to have decided to reduce Longines down a tier though, I bought the Grand Classique for something dressy and it's not value for money.

Funnily enough the watch that's getting the most wrist time with me at the moment is a cheap but not nasty Chinese job as well, a Parnis Daytona homage.

bX9sTIb.jpg

I like it though, only £60 and it has sapphire glass, nice mechaquartz movement and fully stainless 316L case and bracelet with ceramic bezel and the bracelet has solid end links and a machined clasp which is something I would not get with most Seikos even though I put in on a leather strap, looks good and wears well.

Sorry to lower the tone with "shitters" as Archie Luxury would say.

On 16/01/2019 at 19:29, shortstack68 said:

Out of curiosity what is the service costs of a Rolex?

I got quoted between £500 and £600 depending on steel or gold model. Although the guy i spoke to basically said if its still keeping good time then dont bother! Although it would be more a cosmetic thing when i do service as they come back looking brand new. 

Looking at getting a watch soon, but thankfully I have a friend who is a former jeweler so he can both check it out and open the back to make sure the movement matches the model...I watched an antiques roadshow that recommends not getting the dealer to service an older watch as they change out the very valuable part of the watch, the face, so it might be a case of getting a quality jewelers to service it without sending it to the manufacturer even if the cost is the same..but some costing $1000 or more to service might be the difference between a watch being worth $5000 more in 10 years when it's had $10000 of servicing....is a profit really a profit?.

12 hours ago, Pipers said:

Mr George is that an original?

Indeed it is. 

Want a nice 4 piece collection to hand down to my boy. So wanted a chronograph a gmt and a divers watch plus a simple 3 hander. Currently have omega speedy pro rolex gmt ceramic and ap diver last watch will be a patek aquanaut been on the waiting list for just under a year so hopefully get it in next 12-18 months.

the two tone gmt is my wifes i really dont like gold on watches, pretty weird considering i love gold lol

4052A4F1-AE24-4BD5-823C-49C147094A40.jpeg

F70D2570-72B3-40A9-BC3A-2CFA88C5D579.jpeg

Edited by MrGeorge

57 minutes ago, MrGeorge said:

the two tone gmt is my wifes i really dont like gold on watches, pretty weird considering i love gold lol

I agree MrG.

There are so many 'gold' watches in the marketplace, it can look cheap/fake.

Your SS GMT is gorgeous. Simple and honest.

Love the steel GMT, worth a pretty penny now as they have discontinued it which i find criminal! Not sure i like the direction rolex has started to go in but we shall see!

I do love watches and a love gold so i am happy when the two combine as long as it’s the right watch and right occasion, but each to their own lol. I personally don’t like 2 tone!

Edited by AuricGoldfinger

1 hour ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Love the steel GMT, worth a pretty penny now as they have discontinued it which i find criminal! Not sure i like the direction rolex has started to go in but we shall see!

I do love watches and a love gold so i am happy when the two combine as long as it’s the right watch and right occasion, but each to their own lol. I personally don’t like 2 tone!

I was looking through the previous posts your solid gold gmt is a thing of beauty i do love solid gold watches just two tone i am not a fan of. Think for men it should be all steel or all gold. Also seen you have a hulk there going for big money now, good friend of mine been on waiting list for two years now. Its terrible how hard they are to get for retail now, i get the feeling the ADs are backdooring the watches to grey dealers.

@MrGeorge I’m the same i think 2 tone just doesn’t look right although your wife’s GMT is one of the better looking ones (i just love GMTs!).

I have had the hulk for a while now and i still really do love it a lot, the green dial is just stunning.

I know i think its ridiculous that we can look at these so called “rare” Rolexs in just about every grey dealers windows for well above retail but in the actual ADs is nothing special. I love the all black daytona but I cannot bring myself the pay grey dealer prices even though it’s probably still a winner. I was on the waiting list for the batman but now thats been discontinued - and ruined with a the new jubilee bracelet.

Im just not sure what rolex are trying to achieve at the moment, and im not sure whats needed for these grey dealers to ever want to release all the watches they are stockpiling for prices people are prepared to pay.

Lovely! very nice on the bracelet, I didn’t realise there was the option to purchase the bracelet too.

I really like AP but i must confess i don’t know enough about them to take the plunge. I thought the model i liked was the royal oak until I realised thats what pretty much all of them are called lol!

54 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Lovely! very nice on the bracelet, I didn’t realise there was the option to purchase the bracelet too.

I really like AP but i must confess i don’t know enough about them to take the plunge. I thought the model i liked was the royal oak until I realised thats what pretty much all of them are called lol!

Yea mines is the offshore so more sporty and bulky tried the royal oak on but dont like watches without crown guards and was put off by the chronograph because its not a in house movement, if i am paying that for a watch it better have a in house movement 

On 09/06/2019 at 15:02, AuricGoldfinger said:

Just looked on the net as I wasn't aware Rolex had discontinued the Stainless Steel GMT 2 they haven't, they have just discontinued the plain black tasteful design & like you I'm not so sure about these newer bi colour watches, the bracelets on some of them are very in your face as well.

My GMT 2 which I wear every day.

P1010609.JPG

359563063_maxresdefault(1).thumb.jpg.35a992078d975481584c1707e23c89b4.jpg

Just bought this watch today, i looked at a lot of divers but kept coming back to this one. I just love everything from the colour blue used to the shape of the hands. The bracelet and clasp quality seems amazing for the price point too. Bought in a sale for just over half or retail price.

I  think this is the fifth one I've owned, waterproof, light and alarm, all I need.  Felt very odd having nothing on my wrist on Thursday.  Didn't see it in the Argos catalogue but spotted it on the way out so exchanged.  Went to a fancy dress party a few years ago, sixties theme, someone thought it was part of the outfit.