• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any Love for the Great White North coins this year?

NewMSmatist15

I bought these earlier this year, partly because I loved the design and partly because with the new "technique" the RCM developed to avoid milk spots I wasn't as weary to buy their silver coins, but I haven't seen much about these in this or other coin forums. I also, unless I'm not looking properly, haven't seen these on eBay or coin sites.

So, any love for the Great White North Coins this year? Are these just not what forum members are usually interested in?

The first coin pictured is a special design of the typical bullion Canadian Maple Leaf coin with a big "30" hugging the traditional Maple Leaf Design. Canada did a similar design on the 25th anniversary in 2013, but I didn't purchase that coin. There isn't anything remarkable about this coin, but I like the way the anniversary number looks around the maple leaf, the privy mark serves a purpose (it is for anti-counterfeit measures) so it doesn't bother me, and the fine radial background on obverse and reverse is appealing IMHO. According to the NGC website there are 126 coins of this type graded MS 70 across the label pedigrees (early release, first release, and standard). Mintage of 250,000 according to the websites I've seen.

The second is an incuse design reverse proof Maple Leaf coin. This is an odd coin for the RCM to produce. I would love more info on this if others have it. What I know is it has a mintage of 6,500, and according to the NGC census almost 3000 have been graded by them and 93% of them have been PF 70. I don't think this coin is a part of a series, but not sure, and it seems the FDOI (first day of issue) pedigree is the one to have, but there are 1,000 of those kicking around in PF 70 with NGC holders according to the census data. I like this coin better than the first one because of the simplicity and contrast of the reverse proof as well as the edge lettering.

These coins also bring up the question of rarity. The first, has hundreds of thousands minted, but just over a hundred in the top grade, while the latter has a low mintage for a coin, especially a commemorative proof, and yet the majority of them are "perfect". So one is a conditional rarity and one is a mintage rarity, but which one is more desirable???

IMG_20181111_102206616.jpg

IMG_20181111_102217429.jpg

IMG_20181111_102230987.jpg

IMG_20181111_102241221.jpg

After RCMs initial response of "its bullion silver and we dont care if its spotting"  I will buy elsewhere. I know they have now taken steps to reduce milk spotting but im not willing to take a chance. Im fine with their bars though...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived