• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Lighthouse or Air-Tites?

RogerBelmar

Lighthouse or air-tites? I’ve opted for a combination of lighthouse, air-tites, tubes and cases to store my coins after becoming frustrated with single methods of storage. I stack my silver Pandas in air-tite tubes because they take up less space than the trays. My other silver coins, even the semi-numismatic Kookaburras and Koalas, I stack without capsules in official mint tubes for the same reason. I also collect 1/4 oz Queen’s Beasts in a red Sovereign case which can hold ten with lighthouse capsules. My other black Sovereign case holds twenty coins (ten upper and ten lower sections) which I use for my other 1/4 oz gold coins. However, I’ve just ordered an air-tite tube with direct fit 22mm air-tites because the coins keep falling loose from the upper case section. 

Air tites all the way.  The lighthouse caps seem far too easy to open.  I discovered that I was able to pop one open single handed and that was the end of them for me.  Also, from an aesthetic point of view, I prefer to have a nice smooth capsule to hold rather than a train wheel with ridges on its rims.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

Airtites seem to have a more robust clear plastic and less prone to scratches.
Lighthouse with rims don't look good but they are easy to open.
The rimless Lighthouse look good so depending on price go either rimless or Airtite.

Noted that you are storing Perth Mint coins in tubes without their original capsules.
Not recommended as you may scuff your coins over time.
I would keep them in their caps and buy a coin tube suited for the size of caps.

Re- black rings inside caps.
I am suspicious about there being some agent in the black ring that accelerates toning.
Does anyone have any knowledge ?
Just noting that in Britannia proof sets the smaller coins tone badly but not the larger coins.
All are in black ring caps but the amount of 'toning agent' relative to the surface area of the coin means it would be more concentrated on the smallest coins.
I am currently using black ringed caps for my Beasts and starting to become a little concerned as one seems to be loosing its brilliant shine turning slightly yellow/ gold.

The airtite foam rings are made of a material without sulphur in it.  I did look into that ages ago.  It's my understanding that they won't tarnish silver but maybe we will all find out in 50 years whether this is correct or not.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 13:45, Pete said:

Airtites seem to have a more robust clear plastic and less prone to scratches.
Lighthouse with rims don't look good but they are easy to open.
The rimless Lighthouse look good so depending on price go either rimless or Airtite.

Noted that you are storing Perth Mint coins in tubes without their original capsules.
Not recommended as you may scuff your coins over time.
I would keep them in their caps and buy a coin tube suited for the size of caps.

Re- black rings inside caps.
I am suspicious about there being some agent in the black ring that accelerates toning.
Does anyone have any knowledge ?
Just noting that in Britannia proof sets the smaller coins tone badly but not the larger coins.
All are in black ring caps but the amount of 'toning agent' relative to the surface area of the coin means it would be more concentrated on the smallest coins.
I am currently using black ringed caps for my Beasts and starting to become a little concerned as one seems to be loosing its brilliant shine turning slightly yellow/ gold.

I think you are absolutely right about the Kooks and Koalas getting scuffed in the tubes. They come encapsulated for a reason because of their limited mintage. I’ve managed to order the original capsules direct from the Perth Mint Bullion. Interestingly, I can repurpose the empty Panda tray to hold five Kooks, five Koalas and five Star Trek coins in their Perth Mint capsules. 

Archived