• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three Fakes - from London Coin Show

SouthCoastInvestor

Is there no way to contact the dealer,or where you bought them from? before destroying them hehe 🤣

gotta wonder how much more of his stock is fake,for you to pick out three random items and them all be fake.

he would have known he's selling fakes.

8 minutes ago, blackadder said:

Is there no way to contact the dealer,or where you bought them from? before destroying them hehe 🤣

gotta wonder how much more of his stock is fake,for you to pick out three random items and them all be fake.

he would have known he's selling fakes.

My only thing about whether he knows or not is ... what kind of moron would try to pass off fakes in person at an event.  I mean you'd have to be some kind of complete idiot to do that.  It isn't like these ebay scammers who are doing it from afar, through the mail, with weird payment arrangements, etc ... the guy is right in front of you, minutes away from the nearest police station.  Either way you look at it the dealer is stupid ... either too dumb to know that they themselves had been taken and didn't bother to check their own stock before selling it, or stupid enough to think they'd get away with it.

The detail is wrong, it should be clear but shallow.  The lines of Kook feathers are too deep, the Panda fur too deep with not enough lines.  Same with Queens hair, it should billow not sharp, impressionist lines.  This is the first tell tale sign. I have a couple of fake sovereigns, the reverse looks great but as soon as you see the observe its obvious its not right.

5 hours ago, flim said:

fake panda is just too obvious, decorated with bamboo leaves as fur

do the fake come in any capsules ?

metals alloys smell bad

silver got no smell

Thanks , I've not heard this point before.

Think I'll go and sniff my stack now. Mrs thinks I'm strange enough already.😀

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

8 hours ago, Lowlow said:

... the guy is right in front of you, minutes away from the nearest police station.

In the UK it is very very unlikely that the police would get involved.  They would tell you it’s a civil matter and to deal with it through the civil courts.  You might be able to get an organisation called Trading Standards involved but they are generally understaffed and often toothless.

It could be reported to Action Fraud who would pass the report on to the relevant Police Force but again, the police are unlikely to even investigate.

Welcome to modern Britain and its underfunded police force!

I personally would of taken a small magnet and tested anything I was going to buy, even when I buy stuff from trusted dealers I check it all as soon as it comes, the guy who bought a gold bar direct from the Canadian mint and had it tested like everyone he bought, found it to be fake, and an employee had been switching them.

The other coins I bought from that dealer are genuine as far as I can tell, but those three fakes.

I also bought some earlier-year Kookaburras from him, I need to check the dimensions of those for peace of mind, but they seemed OK with the magnet test. If there are more fakes among those I will be really angry.  

I don't know the name of the dealer, if I see him again I will have words.

I just assumed that a dealer would carefully check all coins.

I got carried away by the opportunity to grow my collection with reasonably-cheap bullion coins from the "bargain buckets", but in future I will be much more careful.

I did actually have my suspicions about the Panda when I examined it on the train on the way home from the show.

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:29, SouthCoastInvestor said:

ok, here is #1 - the obviously-fake Scottsdale bar. The magnet sticks to it, the troy weight is very close though

IMG_20181109_192937.thumb.jpg.b59e4889ac9daa7475bb2bd0966e878c.jpgIMG_20181109_193029.thumb.jpg.2760e8009943ed722ad2b5a33697708f.jpgIMG_20181109_193039.thumb.jpg.99f10a09ba61c7cd794e64d2a1907b07.jpgIMG_20181109_193253.thumb.jpg.d814dc659a3227a7487730816e9ffedd.jpg

Have you contacted Scottsdale silver?  I am sure they would be interested in this situation...

Archived