• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's going to be the Royal Mint's next big hit?

GoodAsGold

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Xander said:

Has to be a winner...he's winning everything else.

image.png

Thanks for that....just about to go to bed and this will be in my nightmares for a while......

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

13 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

Hi @kimchi. Do you think the RM should stick with a Snowman coin every Christmas for the foreseeable? He's always on TV here every Christmas after all. I think they could certainly sell more of their annual Christmas cards if they put a Snowman in them instead of the designs they're going with.

I do like the idea of a yearly issue for a few years as long as they don't raise mintage like you say. Thinking about it though, I think after 3 or 4 years the designs will get a bit samey, so a three-year run perhaps?

As long as the final one isn't him melting into a puddle :wacko:

In a Royal Mint survey that I responded to, I suggested celebrating JRR Tolkien on a coin.

I suppose if they follow through, they’ll do so in 2022 to commemorate his 130th birthday.

His art has already been portrayed on UK stamps, and he remains hugely popular around the world since the two trilogies, so I think a Tolkien coin would go down quite well. 

2 hours ago, kimchi said:

I do like the idea of a yearly issue for a few years as long as they don't raise mintage like you say. Thinking about it though, I think after 3 or 4 years the designs will get a bit samey, so a three-year run perhaps?

As long as the final one isn't him melting into a puddle :wacko:

@kimchi Ha Ha Very good  😀  Thanks for your thoughts.

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

In a Royal Mint survey that I responded to, I suggested celebrating JRR Tolkien on a coin.

I suppose if they follow through, they’ll do so in 2022 to commemorate his 130th birthday.

His art has already been portrayed on UK stamps, and he remains hugely popular around the world since the two trilogies, so I think a Tolkien coin would go down quite well. 

@westminstrel Hi buddy.  Yes I think your good self and @Tonyb959 have convinced me that Tolkien would be a very good choice. Albeit we might have to wait a while for that anniversary to come along.  Will the RM be content to keep their next big hit on hold until then, or try to repeat their success with a 2nd Snowman coin?  Thanks for your input.

3 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

I always thought they could try football club crests.    90 odd designs 50k of each. Would make things very interesting for collecting. 

@Cornishfarmer And why not? They had I don't know how many 2012 Olympic 50p coins so perhaps they could use the same denomination for a football club set.  That should introduce the younger generation to coin collecting. They could do club colours as well on silver proofs. Maybe the Man United coin could have a hole in the middle (like the hole in the middle of their defence)    😀

10 minutes ago, fiveshotdon said:

My guess is 48.11% of the population wont like this coin.

43 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Some great ideas and some very funny ideas but I think this one, notwithstanding it having a conservative mintage figure, stands a very good chance:

https://www.royalmint.com/brexit/

So obviously gonna be a 350 million mintage! Everyone will know about it, written on buses 🚌 and everything!

1 hour ago, h103efa said:

So obviously gonna be a 350 million mintage! Everyone will know about it, written on buses 🚌 and everything!

Or maybe not. 

Although unlikely, it could be another 15000 mintage, very unlikely I acknowledge, but even a 100,000 Proof Silver mintage would make this coin extremely valuable to those who escaped the scrum with one.  Sh*#te design (if that's it?)- the result of a five minute brainstorm before knock-off time on a Friday afternoon before the Pub?   

Being cynical, the sentiment written upon it is clearly not shared by the members of the club we are leaving, and certainly not by many people here in Britain on both sides of the Brexit divide, given the apparent stalling on so many key points.  I continue to have mixed feelings of Brexit, I'm not going to lay my cards down here of which way I voted, not that its relevant, and I have no regard for The Sun, but their classic 1990 headline:

'UP YOURS DELORS'**   Could and would be a much better message on the Brexit coin (it would at least make it more sought after).  

Just replace DELORS and insert: BARNIER, WEYAND, TUSK or SEEUWS or whoever is the one who countersigns the Brexit agreement to leave the EU.   

** have a google if you are still in the flower of your youth.  

18 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

Some great ideas and some very funny ideas but I think this one, notwithstanding it having a conservative mintage figure, stands a very good chance:

https://www.royalmint.com/brexit/

It's not too late to change our minds ...... on the design of the Brexit coin I mean. How about 3 different designs?  Either a hand waving a fond goodbye to the EU. Or it could just show a finger or two instead.

Im not sure brexit should be celebrated... the european union is the greatest idea ever conceived to bring peace and harmony to europe after centries of europeans squabbling with each other! Just a shame that the politicians out there mismanaged, lined thier own pockets and misjudged the people. Its acually a sad situation.

• 11 months later...
On 06/11/2018 at 18:51, GoodAsGold said:

I think that a series of Harry Potter character coins would do the trick. He's a British success story known throughout the world and should sell well. What are your thoughts folks?

Not from the Royal Mint, but looks like Nuie have got a licence! - They look horrible, but then again i wouldnt know how you can make it better, probably just better images?

https://agaunews.com/famous-formula-one-broomstick-racer/

1 hour ago, h103efa said:

Not from the Royal Mint, but looks like Nuie have got a licence! - They look horrible, but then again i wouldnt know how you can make it better, probably just better images?

https://agaunews.com/famous-formula-one-broomstick-racer/

Hi G Man,

Not for me I'm afraid (well not for my daughter). Novelty coin season is in full swing again. Bought her the silver proof Wallace and Gromit  but I don't expect to go for a 2nd snowman coin (having overcome my addiction to countless Peter Rabbit coins). I quite like the obverse side of the Harry Potter coins but I'm sticking with British coins. Sorry I couldn't make it to London for the show today. Maybe next year?

8 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Hi G Man,

I don't expect to go for a 2nd snowman coin (having overcome my addiction to countless Peter Rabbit coins).

I quit the Beatrix Potter coins and sold them all. Too many for my liking. I'll definatly be getting snowman 2 though. How can you not if you have the first one.

2 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

I quit the Beatrix Potter coins and sold them all. Too many for my liking. I'll definatly be getting snowman 2 though. How can you not if you have the first one.

Fair comment Dan. But not sure I'd qualify for a discount again when the time comes to attend snowman Rehab, after already attending previously to cure me of Peter Rabbit and his chums.

10 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

Hi G Man,

Not for me I'm afraid (well not for my daughter). Novelty coin season is in full swing again. Bought her the silver proof Wallace and Gromit  but I don't expect to go for a 2nd snowman coin (having overcome my addiction to countless Peter Rabbit coins). I quite like the obverse side of the Harry Potter coins but I'm sticking with British coins. Sorry I couldn't make it to London for the show today. Maybe next year?

Hey GaG

Likewise i got the Gruffalo 2, in part because a discount code was still activated so got one at a decent price! I didnt get the W&G, apart from me not really know in the household. I probably will go for the Snowman 2. If anything to keep the set up. If mintage is high, i may just wait for a 2ndary market purchase or another discount code.

The HP coins are not for me. I'm hesitant to show the eldest though. I wouldnt be surprised if another mint picks up the license and does a better job in the next few years.

London was good. Had plenty of good chat with with some of the TSF folk.

Archived