• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

I'm just curious ... to the UK citizens, as a hypothetical, if the UK suddenly changed its laws and UK citizens could have guns again, rifles, shotguns, and pistols, would you want to own one ?  Carry one as an everyday carry ?  I'm just curious how many people would actually want a gun in the UK.  It's a topic that doesn't seem to come up a lot.

It will put the UK on a slippery slope. I agree that it is the people who use guns that are the problem, not guns themselves but we have seen these last few years we have plenty of crazy people in the UK and giving them access to guns will be stupid. 

3 hours ago, Lowlow said:

I'm just curious ... to the UK citizens, as a hypothetical, if the UK suddenly changed its laws and UK citizens could have guns again, rifles, shotguns, and pistols, would you want to own one ?  Carry one as an everyday carry ?  I'm just curious how many people would actually want a gun in the UK.  It's a topic that doesn't seem to come up a lot.

Lets put spin on the question living in the UK and migrated to the states would you want to own/train on how operate firearm?

5 hours ago, Lowlow said:

In the UK we can own certain rifles, shotguns and long barrelled pistols.  It’s heavily regulated and you must have a valid reason to own them such as target shooting with a club, pest control, etc.  You can’t just own for the sake of it.

I have recently joined a target shooting club with my son and we are both applying for a firearms certificate.  In my region there is around a 10 month waiting list before I will even know if I have been accepted.

I would have liked to have had the opportunity to shoot handguns in a club/competition environment but I completely understand and agree with the ban following the Dunblane incident in 1996.  Same for large calibre (anything larger than .22) semi auto rifles that were banned in the wake of the Hungerford incident in 1987.

I think the UK has a good approach to firearms ownership and is inherently a far safer place for it.

i used to belong a gun club. You can still own rifles and crazy pistols with huge long barrels and extensions so they fall outside the legal definition of a pistol. i would certainly carry.

Guns scare most people in the UK so i am not surprised most say they would have nothing to do with them.

4 minutes ago, sixgun said:

and crazy pistols with huge long barrels and extensions so they fall outside the legal definition of a pistol.

Yes!  I was quite surprised when I joined the club recently and saw them shooting these ‘pistols’.  With the long barrels and weird broom handle ‘stocks’, they are more like rifles trying to look like pistols :D 

Edited by Goldhooked

I think I should be allowed to keep a gun at my home only and be able to train with it at a local gun club but as soon as people could carry on the street, people will start getting killed. 

You have more of a chance against a knife or a baseball bat.

Saying that, if everyone had a gun on the street. I’d want one to protect me and my family.

So if I lived in America it would depend on the laws of that state I suppose.

We keep a couple for sporting and to fend off the inevitable zombie apocalypse.  After watching Rhe Walking Dead it seems to me axes or swords would be better.  Also, it seems that the Zombie community get a bad reputation and in some places treated as bad as Real Estate Agents or even Belgian bullion dealers?

Another thought,  I think topless women posing with firearms stirs the heart and other areas. 

1 hour ago, Goldhooked said:

And you had to go and ruin it :D 

hahaha 😂 he's not far from the truth,A disarmed population makes for easy pickings :)

3 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

I couldn’t be less interested in owning a gun, as I have no desire to kill anybody.

open carry is a different thing,I don't see how owning a handgun for use on a range makes you have the desire to kill people.

1 hour ago, MancunianStacker said:

I think I should be allowed to keep a gun at my home only and be able to train with it at a local gun club but as soon as people could carry on the street, people will start getting killed. 

There was nothing wrong with the plan to own a handgun,then have it stored at the range only.But their plan was only to disarm the population.

29 minutes ago, blackadder said:

hahaha 😂 he's not far from the truth,A disarmed population makes for easy pickings :)

Oh I get that but who says it was MI5?  It could just as easily been a planned operation between Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, guns are bad after all so owners are on the naughty list.  Or our Martian overlords fearing an armed invasion of their planet.  Or maybe they saw their opportunity following a tragic incident that nobody predicted. ;) 

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, if someone wants to kill someone they will use whatever they can get to hand, whether that be a kitchen knife or a Ford Transit van, gun laws only affect law abiding citizens, criminals dont care for the law or laws so they do not make a difference to any crimes that they commit, they just restrict the law abiding citizen to protect themselves from criminals, I think we should be allowed to own weapons within reason, IE a handgun or shotgun for home defence, for target shooting or hunting, but the vetting process for getting a licence be far stricter and harder.

Edited by SILVERFINGER

It is a basic human right for people to be able to protect themselves and their families. The English Bill of Rights 1689 'gives' the right to non Catholics to bear arms (within the law). Well no Bill can give you a right - you have rights from the moment you exist - a Bill - a creation of stuffed shirts giving other people some 'rights' and not giving others is an utter nonsense.

We have the right to protect ourselves - we have the right to bear arms. Imposters claiming to serve us and represent us have stolen that right away. If we claim back that right they would beat us and throw us in a cage. And people think they have freedoms and rights.

Edited by sixgun

Thank you all for your responses - it's very interested to hear your thoughts on UK gun ownership.  In the states I hear a fair amount of about UK gun ownership, but it's never from people who actually live in the UK and would be (or are) affected by the laws there.  I had no expectation in asking the question, your answers are, and would have been, a complete surprise to me any way you answered, and it was a complete surprise to me ... I'm surprised so few are interested in owning a gun.  But I would have been surprised if you had all said you did want them too!

44 minutes ago, sixgun said:

... no Bill can give you a right - you have rights from the moment you exist ...

This is very much the feeling here.

1 hour ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, if someone wants to kill someone they will use whatever they can get to hand, whether that be a kitchen knife or a Ford Transit van, gun laws only affect law abiding citizens, criminals dont care for the law or laws so they do not make a difference to any crimes that they commit, they just restrict the law abiding citizen

Well said.