• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello everyone from neilsmithcoins

neilsmithcoins

• Founder & Administrator

Hello Neil, welcome to The Silver Forum

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Hi Neil,

I just found your website.
Welcome to the forum and as such be prepared for direct questions, praise and / or criticism in future ( some forum members can be pretty brutal if things go wrong ) so let me start with a general question that I haven't asked anyone previously.

I noticed you stock a wide selection of gold proof coins and coin sets.
May I ask how a dealer like you decides your sales price - market research, opportunity, rarity, .. ??

Why I ask this is because we know our popular gold suppliers like HGM and Atkinsons operate on low margins buying & selling bullion coins ( in the door, out the door and don't touch the sides !! ).
However when proofs come up, and now I include BullionbyPost, the margins can be eye-watering.
After asking BbP to quote me for buying a special FDC proof gold coin, boxed and certificated with very low mintage, I was shocked to learn that they only paid bullion prices.

I would like to believe that a dealer decides on a business margin, sets a target sales price and thereby is willing to pay a higher price for a proof or proof set.
Is this the case ?
Hopefully that would mean a dealer would consider paying a fair price for say a Britannia or Sovereign proof set rather than just 98% of spot, especially if intending to sell at up to twice spot. I realise that a dealer might end up having to stock proofs longer than they are comfortable with, especially with the fluctuations in metal price but if people could 'generally' buy proofs at say 15-20% over spot then maybe a dealer would buy at 5-10% over spot. Just a thought.

I am curious for a dealer's views ( brave to join this forum - 😀 ) since I might at some stage wish to unload some proofs and proof sets.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Hi Neil,

I just found your website.
Welcome to the forum and as such be prepared for direct questions, praise and / or criticism in future ( some forum members can be pretty brutal if things go wrong ) so let me start with a general question that I haven't asked anyone previously.

I noticed you stock a wide selection of gold proof coins and coin sets.
May I ask how a dealer like you decides your sales price - market research, opportunity, rarity, .. ??

Why I ask this is because we know our popular gold suppliers like HGM and Atkinsons operate on low margins buying & selling bullion coins ( in the door, out the door and don't touch the sides !! ).
However when proofs come up, and now I include BullionbyPost, the margins can be eye-watering.
After asking BbP to quote me for buying a special FDC proof gold coin, boxed and certificated with very low mintage, I was shocked to learn that they only paid bullion prices.

I would like to believe that a dealer decides on a business margin, sets a target sales price and thereby is willing to pay a higher price for a proof or proof set.
Is this the case ?
Hopefully that would mean a dealer would consider paying a fair price for say a Britannia or Sovereign proof set rather than just 98% of spot, especially if intending to sell at up to twice spot. I realise that a dealer might end up having to stock proofs longer than they are comfortable with, especially with the fluctuations in metal price but if people could 'generally' buy proofs at say 15-20% over spot then maybe a dealer would buy at 5-10% over spot. Just a thought.

I am curious for a dealer's views ( brave to join this forum - 😀 ) since I might at some stage wish to unload some proofs and proof sets.

Hello Pete,

Firstly, thank you for the welcome to the forum.

In answer to your questions, generally I think it is by supply and demand and of course rarity. If all coin dealers are after a particular dated proof sovereign the majority will pay a lot higher price and work on a smaller margin if for example they can sell it that afternoon. If it is a date that they have a stack of,and are not selling at that time,the price that they offer will leave a lot  bigger margin.

As a dealer I always prefer people to tell me what they want for an item, so I can decide, if I have a load in stock but can still turn it over to a fellow dealer at a small profit I will still buy it.

Some times for example at this time of year some dealers may have just paid out a lot of money in stocking up on 2019 gold sovereign series as we have just done, if the same dealer has bought another high value collection around the same time they might be running lower than normal on funds and not bid so high. Different dealers work on different margins, some have shops and staff and all the accompanying expenses to pay for, before they take home a wage for example so would probably need a larger margin.

This is my opinion on your question I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Neil.

Hello and welcome to the forum @neilsmithcoins :)

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

Archived