• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bars vs Coins

coppernut

Good Afternoon All,

Is there anyone that could explain,  why it is that silver 1oz bars appear to hold their money better than say a silver 1oz coin?

To give an example:

Britannia @ £14.50  v Johnson Mathey 1oz 22.00

I'm looking at this from a weight stacking point only, am I over generalizing?

Are bars more collectable?

Any advice or comments?

3 minutes ago, Bullionbilly said:

If you are buying for weight get the cheapest. 

I must admit... i NEEDED a 1kg bar, theres somethimg about them 😍. Sold it soon after i had my fondle 🤣

Will be picking up a few kilos tomorrow, I think it’s time to move on to the next one as Mr Ripper would say 😉

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

Johnson Matthey does not exist anymore. They are a collectible brand. Bars in the Europe carry VAT in all jurisdictions - you cannot buy retail bars with other than full VAT.

You would expect to see higher prices compared with a current silver coin in vast numbers.

Bars have some advantages over coins but i would not say they hold their value better.

If you are starting out at this time, i would go for cheap silver - bars or coins. Buy weight. Get some weight of silver under your belt, say 500oz and then maybe get more choosy.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

9 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Bars in the Europe carry VAT in all jurisdictions - you cannot buy retail bars with other than full VAT.

With one exception: coin bars

They are cheaper but not what the VAT margin would suggest. 

Lets say someone purchases a monster box of Brits cheap.  goldsilver.be 

https://goldsilver.be/en/1-oz-30-gr/275-monster-box-500-x-1-oz-silver-britannia-2018.html

7,560 euros.

TransferWise says it's £6,729

That's £13.458 per ounce (not including delivery).

Silver spot is £11.42    Dealer is currently paying £11.64    

So dealer is paying about 2% above spot.

To break even spot will need to rise to £13.19. 

That's a 15.5% increase in spot price.

Best case scenario / cheapest purchase price.

Alternatively sell privately, all 500 ounces.

16 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Johnson Matthey does not exist anymore. They are a collectible brand.

You would expect to see higher prices compared with a current silver coin in vast numbers.

Bars have some advantages over coins but i would not say they hold their value better.

If you are starting out at this time, i would go for cheap silver - bars or coins. Buy weight. Get some weight of silver under your belt, say 500oz and then maybe get more choosy.

Thank you for this advice,

I've always stuck to silver coins in the past, but am just starting to get into bars as:

a) They're available in a wider range of weights than most silver coins

b) They're VERY tactile B) 

6 minutes ago, Fastnick said:

I've always stuck to silver coins in the past, but am just starting to get into bars as:

One of the reasons i have been attracted to bars has been milk spot on so many coins these days.

Now if you buy Canadian Maples at good prices knowing they are likely to spot, that is fine - you need to have coins like this in a diversified stack. They are 1oz pieces of silver at a lower premium. Now buy some other Canadian coins at a premium price and then they get milk spot - it is gutting. No such problem with bars. There are some bars i would not hold other than with gloves but most you can get hold off with your bare hands and love them.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

44 minutes ago, Bullionbilly said:

If you are buying for weight get the cheapest. 

I must admit... i NEEDED a 1kg bar, theres somethimg about them 😍. Sold it soon after i had my fondle 🤣

Must say i'm tempted by a larger bar, while not so keen on large coins. 

I can't explain why, but I'm with you about not being so keen on larger (eg 1 kilo) coins; the 10oz Queen's Beast series is about as big as I feel inclined to go - but a good-looking 1 kilo bar is definitely on my shopping list.

I picked up a 500g Baird minted bar the other week with the 10% eBay discount and am very pleased with it; it's certainly whetted my appetite for the next rung up on the "silver bar ladder" ;)

26 minutes ago, Fastnick said:

Also.... you can use a 1kg bar in a sock to silently  beat a burglar to a pulp whereas coins will jingle 🤫

Yeah, I don't like the idea of big coins too.  10oz queens beast is a bit too big for my liking.  I was tempted to collect them at one time.  Glad I didn't buy any now as my thoughts and ideas keep changing.

IMHO.  The coins are more collectable (1 oz and 2 oz) and better to sell privately.   More likely to gain a premium gain due to collectability.

Even tho I can't afford any new coins I plan to buy the 2019 panda when available.

Bars are: -

+ Less trouble to store / take care of.  No milk spotting etc.

+ Easier to sell large amount of.  1 kilo bar is one unit of sale as opposed to selling 31 ounce coins.

- More expensive to buy than some coins.

- unlikely to gain any collector premium, therefore tied more to spot price only.

10 minutes ago, RoughDog said:

Bars are: -

- unlikely to gain any collector premium, therefore tied more to spot price only.

There are some rare JM, Engel & Pamp etc out there that carry a hefty premium.

46 minutes ago, Bullionbilly said:

@Roy just listed a beauty i the sales area.

@coppernut

Yeah B&B, that is a lovely looking bar,

But too rich for my blood....?

Some very sound advice and comments given here by members...👍

I like the comment .... if using more than a kilo to bash , double the sock up....🤣🤣🤣

Archived