• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

More EBay advice please..

silversurf

I have bought a gold coin that has turned out to be fake. The coin was bought in the middle of July and sent off for grading and have just only found out that's it's no good. Do I have any comeback through EBay or PayPal bearing in mind that the thirty day time limit has now passed?.

The coin was £100 so not a massive amount but enough to be really annoying and I would like to get the money back somehow.

I've not contacted anyone yet and am just waiting to see the best course of action from anyone out there who has had a similar experience.

Thank you

It was a private seller, had a look at his previous and has sold a lot of coins, funnily enough another identical coin to mine with what I now know has the same defect but sold at a later date. Will probably contact the seller and see what he has to say. If no luck then maybe PayPal stating extenuating circumstances 

hi  silversurf

you the gentleman who's  coin is in numistacker grading video of a Indian head ( just watched it today) even  numi  did not pick up on it and he compares it to a graded one , I cant see a difference . so easy when you are not experienced, and may be even if you are!

dean.m

ps I am sure you will be covered by one of the purchase's method 

oh and if its not yours its still a lesson to be learned I thought.

It was not me with the Indian Head but I did have a recent loss with a $10 Eagle. Luckily I got my money back from the dealer but even he didn't spot it. I grade most of  my gold and the fees have certainly saved me a lot of money. Over the last year I've had some great success bit I'm staggered over the amount of fakes and cleaned coins out there, especially American pre 1933 gold. Had a few duffs recently

Ive nvested in scales, micrometer and magnet just to be sure but im now very wary of Ebay. Ive bought a lot of coins on Ebay and other than  than proofs it seems to me a complete wild west out there.

To date I've not heard back from my seller. Give it a couple of days and he will be outed..

3 hours ago, silversurf said:

Interesting. I will have to check to see If I paid by credit card. I might be wrong but is it clause 75 or something like that.

You almost certainly won’t have section 75 protection if you used a credit card through PayPal.  See reason here - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/

9 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

You almost certainly won’t have section 75 protection if you used a credit card through PayPal.  See reason here - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/

you might be able to get your card company to apply a chargeback, not a guaranteed route though, but it might work as you final shot.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Problem solved hopefully. Seller has agreed to a refund so fingers crossed I will get that back soon with no hassles.

Thanks to everyone who came back with some really useful advice. That's what makes this forum so great. 😁

Archived