• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gaining PM exposure in your pension

It's a bit of an oxymoron, but I've just discovered that I can buy into a PM fund for my company pension, which pretty much track the mining sector.

I'm going to take advantage of this and its going to be one of the cornerstones of my investment strategy as far as PMs go. 

Anyone else have any PM in their pension? I know some regard PMs AS their pension..

I appreciate that its not the same as physical, there is counterparty risk, and it will be tied up until I reach retirement.. I will still continue to buy physical. I do however think that there is massive upside potential in the mining sector if/when we get another bull market, and chucking a decent chunk of your pension contributions into such a sector is going to pay off very handsomely if you are patient.

So my pension is going be be split between:

PMs
Emerging markets funds with big positions in China
Commodities
Cash

I have not done so but believe that it is possible to hold physical PM’s as part of a SIPP, but I think has to be held outside of your direct control ie vault  

Very happy to be corrected on this.  

Best

dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

20 hours ago, Martlet said:

I'd say you're rather heavy on commodities there, and considering the direction they would take if China tanks, not very well diversified.  

You are right. I do hold some general equities exposure but my philosophy is that I want to hold what I think is cheap and at a cyclical low, so am very biased towards commodities right now (and a lot of cash equivilents).

IMO the risk is not that China tanks but that western markets tank. In any case, China is currently undergoing a fairly brutal bear market, so my argument is that it is already all in the price.

At some point I will rebalance and increase my equities exposure, but not until we have seen a bear market in the FTSE/Dow.

Archived