• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

I am thinking of getting my first 3D printer.

Currently looking at the Creality3D Ender - 3 pro :

image.png.c282da03c9900847348c40c078e8bc6c.png

I was also looking at the Prusa I3 mk3 but that one is over tripple the price of the Ender 3 Pro.

Any 3D printers out there on the forum have any advice?

I have the prusa i3. Took a few weekends to build. Also when built I had to remove a few parts to get it working properly. Still a work in progress but have had some successful prints with it. Depends mostly the settings you use on the printing software you are using. I dont have any of my prints on me just now but i did print a cross then sand cast it in .999 ill show you. Doesnt look that bad. 

image.jpg

I would say sand casting is harder than it looks so probably best if you do it in wax and then I think it is investment casting where you heat the mould up and the wax melts then you pour your metal in. Im not too sure with that method ive only seen some videos.

I would say for all the effort to build it i think if i were to redo it my best advice would be to buy a pre built one. For the extra cost its worth not having the hassle and not knowing if it will work. On the other hand it is a fun project to work on at weekends.

I went to the 3D Print Show in London in 2013 and was blown away at first at what I saw.  I pre-ordered a printer from a Polish company which I received the following year (they don't make it anymore).  At first it was great, this amazing new technology.  I printed some prototype products for a couple of people who were able to provide me with the files for the printer to use.  I even shipped in a few pallet loads of filament (PLA and ABS) from China and was doing well selling them on eBay.

Then I went to another 3D Print Show in London (2014 or 2015, I can't remember) and it was very....meh!!  The show was a fraction of the size of the one I had been to before, it was all the same exhibitors and nothing had really changed.  Every man and his dog was now selling cheap (bad!) filament on eBay so the prices dropped and sales dried up.  And the novelty had pretty much worn off.

I dusted off the printer a few months ago and set it up for my son to use.  He was interested for about half an hour but then the novelty wore off for him too!

They can be time consuming to set up and get right and then things can still go wrong mid print (filament doesn't feed correctly and you're printing thin air - pretty frustrating when you're a couple of hours in to a print!).  I just don't think its really 'there' yet for mass home use, but can be fun if you like nerding out for a while.

Got the Ender 3 Pro on order from gearbest.

Been having a play around with autodesk ReCap.  It allows you take pictures of an object from multiple angles then convert it to a 3D model.

1st attempt was creating a 3D model of my daughters favorite bear with an aim to 3D print it into a christmas tree decoration.

The file can be exported into .stl format ready to print.

Really happy with how the model turned out, impressive bit of software.

image.png.139c45f30a437a8e5b1c5b3b592b311d.png

Edited by mr-dead

7 hours ago, mr-dead said:

Got the Ender 3 Pro on order from gearbest.

Been having a play around with autodesk ReCap.  It allows you take pictures of an object from multiple angles then convert it to a 3D model.

1st attempt was creating a 3D model of my daughters favorite bear with an aim to 3D print it into a christmas tree decoration.

The file can be exported into .stl format ready to print.

Really happy with how the model turned out, impressive bit of software.

image.png.139c45f30a437a8e5b1c5b3b592b311d.png

I’ve got a barely used Fuel 3D handheld scanner for sale if you’re interested.  Also currently collecting dust but like new in its original box so in excellent condition.

My daughers favorite full sized teddy bear has now been imortalised thanks to a 3D photo scan using Autodesk recap and printed in full coloured sandstone using Shapeways.

Will now take pride of place on this years christmas tree:

IMG_20181102_140845_resized_20181102_020948635.jpg

IMG_20181102_140855_resized_20181102_020949244.jpg

IMG_20181102_140905_resized_20181102_020948062.jpg

The bear has had an outfit change but for a sense of scale:

IMG_20181102_141823_resized_20181102_022007833.jpg

Edited by mr-dead

2 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

That's cool!  Is that with the Ender 3 Pro you ordered?  Looks like they have come on nicely.

Yes the ender 3 pro.

The standard ender 3 prints just as well and only costs about £140 at the moment.  The pro version has a better branded PSU + a couple of other mechanical improvements.

Ender 3 Pro £175

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Creality-3D-Ender-3-PRO-3D-Printer-Upgraded-Cmagnet-Build-Plate-Resume-Power-Failure-Printing-DIY/2846085_32946421702.html?spm=2114.12010611.8148356.35.699f5096gzNDBn

Ender 3 standard £139

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-3D-Printer-CREALITY-3D-CR-10-MINI-Large-Print-Size-300-220-300mm-3D-Printer/2846085_32829051718.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.1.51dc75ceQOUqTQ

The Creality Ender 3 comes as a part kit, some pre built with some assembly required, takes about an hour to put together.  I followed this guide:

For a bit more cash you can get a Creality CR10 / CR20 which is basically a fully assembled ender 3 just requiring 4 bolts to put together and has a more rigid frame.

Groot took about 9hrs to print.

Edited by mr-dead