• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Self-Slabbing Coins

terakris

Has anyone slabbed their own coins?

The reason im asking is slabbing is usually linked with grading, but not all coins are worth grading but some are nice and i think it would be nicer to show them in a slab. I've seen you can by permanent or reopenable slabs for a few quid and was wondering if anyone else had gone down this route for ease of storage/display?

For example, I have a 1oz oriental britannia - its a bullion coin and not worth grading imho, but its a lovely looking coin and I think it would be nice if it was slabbed. So would anyone else slab these "not so worth grading" coins or just keep them in the capsules/flips they arrive to you in?

For example, price of a slab could be say £6 for a pack of 5.

Thoughts?

11 hours ago, terakris said:

Has anyone slabbed their own coins?

The reason im asking is slabbing is usually linked with grading, but not all coins are worth grading but some are nice and i think it would be nicer to show them in a slab. I've seen you can by permanent or reopenable slabs for a few quid and was wondering if anyone else had gone down this route for ease of storage/display?

For example, I have a 1oz oriental britannia - its a bullion coin and not worth grading imho, but its a lovely looking coin and I think it would be nice if it was slabbed. So would anyone else slab these "not so worth grading" coins or just keep them in the capsules/flips they arrive to you in?

For example, price of a slab could be say £6 for a pack of 5.

Thoughts?

How weird, I was going to make a thread on this.

Ive been looking at the Everslab ones as I think they look the best. Plus theres some cheap plastic storage boxes that can be bought for them.

Im going to slab all my loose bullion coins that I want to protect. Panada's, Brit's and some other special dates.

So i received my slabs today, they came in different sizes so i measures a bunch of my coins and got a varied selection.

They come in 2 parts with the foam and labels ready for adding. Was quite simple, stick the coin in and clip shut, job done. I've put a label in one now but wont show here as my hand writing is terrible. also think ill print out labels going forward.

image.thumb.png.50e4d99a56bbd1a81f8ba589324c131f.png

image.thumb.png.da2359958a77e6e837925d9a358036f0.png

image.thumb.png.9b9f06913922695dc8989162d54c40ec.png

2 hours ago, terakris said:

So i received my slabs today, they came in different sizes so i measures a bunch of my coins and got a varied selection.

They come in 2 parts with the foam and labels ready for adding. Was quite simple, stick the coin in and clip shut, job done. I've put a label in one now but wont show here as my hand writing is terrible. also think ill print out labels going forward.

image.thumb.png.50e4d99a56bbd1a81f8ba589324c131f.png

image.thumb.png.da2359958a77e6e837925d9a358036f0.png

image.thumb.png.9b9f06913922695dc8989162d54c40ec.png

I've not ordered mine yet but will be getting those as you know.

I'm going to print my labels as I cant even read my own writting its that bad 😖

I think theres a label stencil on their website. Do the coins fit nice and tight?

11 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

I think theres a label stencil on their website. Do the coins fit nice and tight?

Yes and no.... so I think it depends on the coin and the size ordered. some are too loose to use so i should have sized down, some are a snug fit. So the 1/4 queens beasts or 1/4 britannia & 1 sov fit nicely into a 22mm size. I ordered 33mm for a 1oz britanna, 20mm for a 1/2 sov and 17mm for 1/10 britannia, all are a bit too loose. the 1oz is fine as its chunky, but the others slip around so ideally i would say i should order 1mm smaller for each of those (32mm/19mm/16mm). they have all sizes so its my fault for not knowing how snug the fit would be and probably not measuring well enough. I got some 39mm ones for some random 1oz silver coins and the first one i tried fits nicely, again i could have gone down to 38mm as it is foam so will bend somewhat to fit.

Overall im happy with them, but next time i would order 1mm smaller than i think i need for all to make them extra secure.

1 hour ago, terakris said:

Yes and no.... so I think it depends on the coin and the size ordered. some are too loose to use so i should have sized down, some are a snug fit. So the 1/4 queens beasts or 1/4 britannia & 1 sov fit nicely into a 22mm size. I ordered 33mm for a 1oz britanna, 20mm for a 1/2 sov and 17mm for 1/10 britannia, all are a bit too loose. the 1oz is fine as its chunky, but the others slip around so ideally i would say i should order 1mm smaller for each of those (32mm/19mm/16mm). they have all sizes so its my fault for not knowing how snug the fit would be and probably not measuring well enough. I got some 39mm ones for some random 1oz silver coins and the first one i tried fits nicely, again i could have gone down to 38mm as it is foam so will bend somewhat to fit.

Overall im happy with them, but next time i would order 1mm smaller than i think i need for all to make them extra secure.

Very useful info, thanks. I'm currently only going to slab 1oz Silver so I only need two sizes. I was going for the 39mm and 40mm.

Are you saying it might be better getting 38mm and 39mm instead? I suppose 1mm tighter fit doesnt hurt.

6 hours ago, danmc82 said:

Very useful info, thanks. I'm currently only going to slab 1oz Silver so I only need two sizes. I was going for the 39mm and 40mm.

Are you saying it might be better getting 38mm and 39mm instead? I suppose 1mm tighter fit doesnt hurt.

If it was me, yes I think I would size down knowing what I know now.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, greektony said:

Would these be suitable for 2oz Queens Beasts? Or is the casing not thick enough?

Not sure, the case is definitely thicker than the coin but I dont think id get two in. I havent got a 2oz to try. Maybe @terakris has.

Yes they will take the 2oz queens beasts. I've put my bullion ones in there. It's a very tight fit, no wiggle room so don't think it will damage them. 

Sorry not the best photos but should be able to see the fit nicely and the extra depth is outside the foam but fits inside the case no problems

image.thumb.png.a496ecc4fd5da963d53c99e75c93aab2.png

image.png.c3341060a680f3e24a6e56ba6c5364e8.png

1 hour ago, greektony said:

Thanks terakris. What diameter did you go for to fit the Queens Beasts? 38 or 39 mm? Also did you get the red box from the same store? I can't find it on their website on my phone 🤔

I cant speak for terakris, but my red box was from ebay. Theres plenty on there, usually chinese sellers. Cost no more than £6.50 per box.

17 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Isn't the foam a bit of a worry for silver (tarnish), especially silver that is prone to spot?

You could say the same about the foam rings in airtites. 🙂 The slabs are designed for long term storage so im not worried.

8 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

You could say the same about the foam rings in airtites. 🙂 The slabs are designed for long term storage so im not worried.

True! Personally I wouldn't store silver in airtights with foam either, a bit risky for tarnish/milking imvho, they do look good for display though :)

Archived