• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Boycotting GS.be

GS.be vs European Mint - would you spend more to boycott GS.be?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Would you boycott GS.be and buy the same coin for more money?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the price difference

2 minutes ago, Willike said:

@Silverhunter thanks for reply so if say normally 60 people order £1000 worth dropping to 30 people spending £1000 the price of coins would still get same discount as before? 

I'll tag @BackyardBullion so he can correct me if needed but I don't think there is a discount in individual coins as such. On the last group order which was from just the European Mint they offered to price match some coins to the GS.be prices but it wasn't all coins and there was no discount for anything else.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I'll tag @BackyardBullion so he can correct me if needed but I don't think there is a discount in individual coins as such. On the last group order which was from just the European Mint they offered to price match some coins to the GS.be prices but it wasn't all coins and there was no discount for anything else.

Thanks hopefully @BackyardBullion can clear this up for me.

10 minutes ago, Willike said:

@Silverhunter thanks for reply so if say normally 60 people order £1000 worth dropping to 30 people spending £1000 the price of coins would still get same discount as before? 

When I made my purchase from the group order I paid the price of a single coin  as I bought I 1 regardless of how many others ordered the same coin. I don't belive there are rerospective rebates paid either.

Just now, Willike said:

Thanks hopefully @BackyardBullion can clear this up for me.

GS.be's shipping is €18

This is split as a % of your order value. If the total order from them is €1000 and your individual contribution to this is €500 you pay 50% of €18, meaning €9 total.

EU mints group order offer is to match certain coins. Their shipping is 1% of the order. So regardless of the size of the overall order your €500 costs you €5 in shipping.

So, if fewer people want to order from GS.be it will affect the shared shipping costs for those that do. It will have no effect on EU Mints shipping.

Hope that clears it up.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I and a few others on this forum boycotted them over a year ago after shocking customer service, bad deliveries on large orders etc. You don't need to pay more if using someone else, EM have been VERY good, as have a few others if buying bulk. Even so, if I was only buying a few coins instead of my normal, I would still pay a small increase for better piece of mind, excellent deliveries, parcel not chucked over back gate/left with neighbour etc :)

59 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

...  if this is how they treat a customer spending 9000 what confidence does that give me for my £500 order?

It's probably BECAUSE it is a €9k order that it is the issue.

In the material quoted in the original thread the business claimed that they felt the reason the order was cancelled (or changed, or asked to be changed ?) was because the price of silver dropped, not because of the OP's stated reason that they didn't make a sale they needed to finance the transaction - simply put, they just didn't believe the OP.  That may not sound like much, and I don't know how much silver dropped when the order was made, but for every 1% of price drop on a €9k order, that's €90.00, which is money.

That's why most of the bullion dealers lock in the price and charge a fee if you cancel, because they know that people play games with the market, taking advantage of the delay between placing an order and the payment clearing the bank, which can often take a week or more depending on how it was paid.

Think of it like a stock transaction ... the DJIA (Dow) in the United States dropped over 900 points last week, what if someone had made a purchase on Monday and then cancelled it once they saw that the price was dropping ?  Fair ?

5 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

GS.be's shipping is €18

This is split as a % of your order value. If the total order from them is €1000 and your individual contribution to this is €500 you pay 50% of €18, meaning €9 total.

EU mints group order offer is to match certain coins. Their shipping is 1% of the order. So regardless of the size of the overall order your €500 costs you €5 in shipping.

So, if fewer people want to order from GS.be it will affect the shared shipping costs for those that do. It will have no effect on EU Mints shipping.

Hope that clears it up.

Completely clears up my question Thanks for replying.

I'm not going to boycott gs.be. its not really about not wanting to spend more (unless it was a decent difference in price) for me, it's the variety of coins they have. And on anything other than the run of the mill stuff, they are cheaper than the European Mint. I wouldn't be confident enough to deal with them directly though. So if the group orders stop, I will be boycotting them 😛

That said, the good reviews I've heard from/about EM, plus the promotions they've had, have made me increase my orders with them, both through the group order,  and directly with BYB's voucher code. I think increasing EM's orders/reputation like this is just as bad for gs.be as boycotting them.

So basically, bad customer service won't stop me spending with you (if you're in a niche market), but good customer service will make me spend more!

I actually think your voucher may have a big impact on the EM v GS.be for the next group order as I think a few people will already have bought what they want from EM with your discount (I know I have - so I'll probably order exclusively from GS.be in the group order).

20 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

I'm not going to boycott gs.be. its not really about not wanting to spend more (unless it was a decent difference in price) for me, it's the variety of coins they have. And on anything other than the run of the mill stuff, they are cheaper than the European Mint. I wouldn't be confident enough to deal with them directly though. So if the group orders stop, I will be boycotting them 😛

That said, the good reviews I've heard from/about EM, plus the promotions they've had, have made me increase my orders with them, both through the group order,  and directly with BYB's voucher code. I think increasing EM's orders/reputation like this is just as bad for gs.be as boycotting them.

So basically, bad customer service won't stop me spending with you (if you're in a niche market), but good customer service will make me spend more!

I actually think your voucher may have a big impact on the EM v GS.be for the next group order as I think a few people will already have bought what they want from EM with your discount (I know I have - so I'll probably order exclusively from GS.be in the group order).

Well, we wanted to continue the momentum for EU Mint whilst Mrs BYB and I had a well earned break. That break by the way is looming near its end and we are both excited and terrified of what is to come in November and December!!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

47 minutes ago, Lowlow said:

It's probably BECAUSE it is a €9k order that it is the issue.

In the material quoted in the original thread the business claimed that they felt the reason the order was cancelled (or changed, or asked to be changed ?) was because the price of silver dropped, not because of the OP's stated reason that they didn't make a sale they needed to finance the transaction - simply put, they just didn't believe the OP.  That may not sound like much, and I don't know how much silver dropped when the order was made, but for every 1% of price drop on a €9k order, that's €90.00, which is money.

That's why most of the bullion dealers lock in the price and charge a fee if you cancel, because they know that people play games with the market, taking advantage of the delay between placing an order and the payment clearing the bank, which can often take a week or more depending on how it was paid.

Think of it like a stock transaction ... the DJIA (Dow) in the United States dropped over 900 points last week, what if someone had made a purchase on Monday and then cancelled it once they saw that the price was dropping ?  Fair ?

Absolutely fair, GS.be agreed to cancel the order as appears to frequently the case - I can’t believe you seem to be supporting blackmail.

Also, it wasn’t a stock transaction, so don’t think of it like this.

Kleiner has the right to cancel the order under EU Law, and there are no quantified material damages stated by GS.be.

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

They say politeness costs nothing  and I greatly suspect that is what most people on here are prepared to pay for it.

Better pricing is a factor but for me it is the variety which means GS.be scores over the European Mint.

Yep, having used both, and the reason I go back to GS, and not Europeanmint, is the range.  Also the delivery is high if you go over 500g. 

1 hour ago, RichRock said:

Even so, if I was only buying a few coins instead of my normal, I would still pay a small increase for better piece of mind, excellent deliveries, parcel not chucked over back gate/left with neighbour etc :)

How does the behaviour of some local delivery people relate to GS.be ?
Bad delivery is down to specific individuals and no-one else.
For me Belgian Post / Yodel has been great with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

How does the behaviour of some local delivery people relate to GS.be ?
Bad delivery is down to specific individuals and no-one else.
For me Belgian Post / Yodel has been great with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I assure you that you may well be in the minority there Pete. 

Yodel Trustpilot reviews: 4% 5 star good experience, 93% 1 star, bad experience: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/yodel.com

44 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Well, we wanted to continue the momentum for EU Mint whilst Mrs BYB and I had a well earned break. That break by the way is looming near its end and we are both excited and terrified of what is to come in November and December!!

Indeed. I hope we see more similar offers from the EM in future for the Silver Forum! 

And I bet you've missed your curries 😛

4 minutes ago, RichRock said:

I assure you that you may well be in the minority there Pete. 

Yodel Trustpilot reviews: 4% 5 star good experience, 93% 1 star, bad experience: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/yodel.com

Agreed but delivery problems are caused by some Yodel personnel not GS.be
Of course GS.be could change services to DHL or UPS if they choose or of they received sufficient complaints.

2 hours ago, Sal said:

If that is the case whomever David? that dealt horribly with this situation needs to take a course in business management and customer relations.

I know a few Belgians... they are almost Dutch in their character.  Direct in a blunt sort of way.  One is an excellent surgeon with zero bedside manner.

50 minutes ago, Tingles said:

I know a few Belgians... they are almost Dutch in their character.  Direct in a blunt sort of way.  One is an excellent surgeon with zero bedside manner.

Hey! Watch it! You are so generalising us as the Dutch! Wow, what a reputation have we build abroad! ;)

55 minutes ago, Tingles said:

"You will pay me now... if you ever want to see your kidneys again, that is!"

8 minutes ago, FFkook said:

Hey! Watch it! You are so generalising us as the Dutch! Wow, what a reputation have we build abroad! ;)

We also have Dutch friends... My wife says...like the Germans, but much cooler!!

Added 0 minutes later...
5 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

"You will pay me now... if you ever want to see your kidneys again, that is!"

Yeah, there was 'an incident'.  Seriously!  All sorted now, thankfully.

Most people here treat people with utmost respect, and expect to be treated in the same way by a vendor who is making money out of them. 

Where things go wrong - as they can do, it is the right thing to be polite and professional.  There are many examples of this on this forum between PM enthusiasts 

If you run a business it is especially important that you treat customers as customers and deal professionally with issues.

On this basis I would not chose to buy from GS.BE

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, Tingles said:

they are almost Dutch in their character.  Direct in a blunt sort of way.  

1 hour ago, FFkook said:

Hey! Watch it! 

Hehe, nice going Lowlander

56 minutes ago, Tingles said:

My wife says...like the Germans

Swamp Germans

5 hours ago, Sal said:

If that is the case whomever David? that dealt horribly with this situation needs to take a course in business management and customer relations.

Of course he could just be a nasty piece of work and no amount of training will change him? It's usually the case.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived