• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is this a fake 5 oz Australian Lunar Horse ?

GARYTHEMAN

Hi. More help needed please ! Received today this coin, and my suspicions were quickly raised. Is this a fake ?

It passes the weight and magnet test, but it just doesnt look right to me. There is a "lip" around the rim , and the scratches on the obverse side dont look right. Am i being paranoid here, or is this a fake ? Thanks. Gary

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

It looks as if it has been kept out of its capsule and then someone has tried to clean it with a silver polish cloth.

I doubt if tap water is going to hurt it now and some dental floss could make a cradle - Does BackyardBullion have a youtube video showing that?

I don't have a 5 ounce Lunar coin only 1 oz which don't seem to have any lip.  But I do have a 10 oz Kookaburra and the edge of that has a weird intermittent reeding/plain effect.  That looks as if the edge has been wrapped around the coin so that there is a sort of lip to the coin.  I don't know if that would apply to a 5 oz Lunar coin or not.

I don't think the lip is necessarily an indicator that it is fake but then I can buy a fake even when it comes in a slab from PCGS saying Genuine.  Judging from pictures is always tricky.  Sometimes just having it in hand and perhaps next to one you know is real is the best test.  But do try the tests suggested above.

Frosted coins look brilliant when they are perfect but very sad when they have been mucked around with as this one has been.   If you are thinking of returning it perhaps use the condition as the reason - eg not as described (though obviously I don't know how it was described).

i would wonder why if someone produced a fake they would then batter it so much.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

19 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i would wonder why if someone produced a fake they would then batter it so much.

Maybe someone else knew it was a fake so treated it as such,maybe not the person who made the fake.But someone down the line that's ended up with it.

Not saying it's fake ofc,Hope you didn't pay to much for it :) 

It looks good to me as well.  In addition, I'm unaware of this particular coin being faked.  It doesn't mean that it hasn't been, it's just that the fakes tend to be of more common coins/rounds and most are of the 1 Oz variety.  I do agree with HelpingHands, though, in the condition it's in it's pretty much worth spot price.

If it was me with a large coin which was damaged, no premium to re-sell and doubted it's content, I would drill it to be sure if its solid silver.

If it was, then enquire with Mr BYB who I am sure could  work his magic for some ££ and turn it into something nice :)

5 hours ago, Tingles said:

I have a 5oz Horse and mine is a completely different colour / surface - yours seems ‘off’.

Added 0 minutes later...

I hope you didn’t pay a premium 

that's what i was thinking,but i think it's down to its condition.

4 hours ago, mikeiones32 said:

If it was me with a large coin which was damaged, no premium to re-sell and doubted it's content, I would drill it to be sure if its solid silver.

If it was, then enquire with Mr BYB who I am sure could  work his magic for some ££ and turn it into something nice :)

Surely treason to meltdown a coin of the Realm... even if it is Colonial?

Archived