• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

22K vs 24K

RoughDog

11 minutes ago, RoughDog said:

Does anyone else feel a little uneasy about 22K gold? 

What if you had to melt a coin in 20 years time for some reason?

Would 22K be a problem?

I'm wonder what reason might be for melting.  As soon as you do, the authenticity of the gold is lost and you have to somehow prove it is what it is to anyone else. 

7 minutes ago, RoughDog said:

Would 22K be a problem?

1oz of 22k gold... 1oz of 24k gold both =1Troy oz. If you sell them as scrap you would receive the same value of 1 Troy oz. I would prefer to let someone else do the melting.😉

1 hour ago, RoughDog said:

Would 22K be a problem?

sovereigns are 22ct therefore no problem exists;)

and why on earth would you want to melt a sovereign?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

15 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Surely you can sell sovereigns for pretty much spot anywhere in the world. No need to melt.

it is very hard in far east as far as I know , they will only give u melt price minus 10-15%

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

3 hours ago, Money2Metal said:

If you're investing/collecting then 22k vs 24k shouldn't be a problem as they still have their marked weight in gold. 

Yes, I agree. I collect 1/4 oz Sovereigns, Krugerrands and Queen’s Beasts which are, of course, a mix of 22k and 24k. From what I’ve read you’ll get more for even a scratched gold coin than for its melt value because the coins sell at a premium to bars or scrap.

from what I read you will get more for a scratched up coin.

I am not talking about now I am talking about the future.

what if they decide you can no longer buy or sell gold coins but your jewellery is OK?

what if there is a mad max senerio and you need to barter to tiny amounts of gold?

I guess I am saying what if in the future you need to melt it?  Surely 24K is better.  What could ever go wrong with pure gold?

2 hours ago, RoughDog said:

what if they decide you can no longer buy or sell gold coins but your jewellery is OK?

what if there is a mad max senerio and you need to barter to tiny amounts of gold?

I guess I am saying what if in the future you need to melt it?  Surely 24K is better.  What could ever go wrong with pure gold?

Interestingly, the granddaughter of Pablo Picasso, Diana Widmaier-Picasso, would agree with you because she’s the cofounder of a company called Menē which crafts jewellery exclusively from pure 24k gold. She argues so persuasively about the benefits of her investment jewellery that I feel tempted to add some of her pieces to my bullion collection. Pure 24k gold doesn’t tarnish over time.

4 hours ago, RoughDog said:

In a real Mad Max SHTF, what good will gold be?!  You would be a far ‘richer’ person with a stockpile of alcohol, cigarettes and bottled water ;) 

6 hours ago, RoughDog said:

If gold would actually be useful in your mad max scenario, how would people have confidence in the authenticity and purity of this gold?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

If gold would actually be useful in your mad max scenario, how would people have confidence in the authenticity and purity of this gold?

They would bite it like a pirate 😁

Well if early civilizations were able to trade in gold and silver, I'm sure even in the worst situations people would figure it out.

While it's true that people are really stupid about gold and silver right now, it wouldn't take long to reorient in the right environment.  The first time a mom walks up to someone trying to purchase food and they tell her they don't take dollars or pounds, but if she has an silver coins, ... that'll be when everybody figures it out.  Because if mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :D

Archived