• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

I just dealt with Edinburgh Assay Office because I wanted to have my work hallmarked. Which is fair enough. However to Fill and plug a hole they want to charge me £10 per item. OUTCH. My pieces are only 2 to 3 oz. I am making!!!!! So this would kill a resale on them in my view.
But I spoke to Stephan in the London Assay Office, who is going to email me later after watching my you tube channel and thinks my pieces are a COIN. So a simple XRF and a hallmark can be put on them.
Now I don't know what others think. But anyone who is hallmarking items please help.... I really need and would love your input. I am happy to speak to you if you are able to. The thing is that if I Bullion..... than they must drill test it... Which I don't mind.. just plug it after. But Bullion is not required for hallmarking. ODD... If I say Art bars.... they are... I am soo confused... these are all round...
AHHHHH and I don't know what to do for future pours either.... because I will need to factor this into my equation as well.

Sorry for the Rant.

Jon

@jonrms

I think that there are some questions and expectations you need to ask and manage within yourself as I did at the start.

Firstly - Hallmarking as a legal requirement.

In the legislation it clearly states that bullion items are exempt from Hallmarking. There is no definition of what bullion means though.

Oxford English dictionary defines it as something that has not yet been coined....so in theory anything is bullion that has not been turned into a coin.

But we all know that jewellery and other items have to be hallmarked!

Confused? Good, this is the point I want to make. The last thing I wanted to do was to spend more money on my hand poured silver and erode away any potential profits. But, I also did not want to have a knock on the door from the Police (because this is THE LAW!!) And have to either get in serious trouble or at very least have lengthy court and/or legal proceedings to prove that I am right.

So, I embraced Hallmarking and made it part of my brand. 

You will likely not get any other solutions from the other assay offices as they will all be governed by the same testing and controlling regulations and standards. Drill testing is the only definitive way of knowing.

I am also sceptical of them saying it is just a coin so it does not need it - coins are very different entities all together.

So, in summary - I would have a good long hard think about what you want to achieve with the Hallmarking. Have a good think about what you want to achieve with your hobby and pieces.

Hope that helps!

Now I am even more confused. I think they will give me a certificate for bullion. But I need to persue this option. 

I might speak to Lesley or Stephan and see what to expect. Or take a drive to Sheffield and see what they say. I can bring them my pieces. Hmm 

Totally confused. But £10 for every piece they drill is going to seriously hurt. Out if 26 items I would expect 8 to be drilled but for all I know they can still everyone. 

It's the lack of control 

Yes its all very confusing.... I can send it to the Assay office as Bullion.... and they can give me a cert and mark it.... but I don't know.

I am going to have to do ALOT more research into all this **** tomorrow.

I thought it would be cut and dry..... but that stupid unexpected thing happened. It could be £260 or only £30 for 26 items to be Filled... Plus the Postage both ways and VAT... and hallmarking fees and VAT and

This means that a 1oz piece... could cost say I bought it for £15    ….. I would need to add £10 if ALL of them were done.... Plus a portion of the P+P and the Stamping service and VAT.. This could easily bring 1oz to a price of £30 now ok.... I am doing pieces that are 2 or 3 oz.... so that £15 would be more like  22.5 in a VERY rough term... This is not making anything on it. And still loosing out from the initial Nearly £200 registration fees. with Marks etc.

Bloody heck..... I might throw in the towel, I will honestly have to have a GOOD long look at this …. and try to speak and manage things with Edinburgh or Another Assay office. I am going to market it as Bullion Art... But I don't know... @BackyardBullion I will speak to you when your free in the days to come... NOT urgent!

9 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Speak to Martin at Silvertrader, he gets stuff hallmarked at SAO (sheffield assay office) the hallmarks aint as pretty as BYB but they are ok.

Yes I will be giving him a call but I think he had issues with Sheffield. Will see... Call of Duty arrived, I had it hours before I am allowed to play according to some email... I will need to check .

5 minutes ago, jonrms said:

Yes I will be giving him a call but I think he had issues with Sheffield. Will see... Call of Duty arrived, I had it hours before I am allowed to play according to some email... I will need to check .

Get on WOT, I have my own clan on there, its called 'Shoot Yer Load' 

@jonrms

They would not test all 26 items. It would be 3 or 4 per batch and that would reduce over time as you send more items in. I now have maybe 3-4 items per hundred I send in get drilled.

But yes, it is still a pickle!

For those of you out there who did not know, this is how much work (and cost!) goes into Hallmarking my silver - not just an easy wham bam thank you mam and you are done.

Yes I am going to Speak with Lesley tomorrow and clarify, I don't think she will give me a straight answer but a ball park figure would be nice. At least u can budget for that. 

15 minutes ago, jonrms said:

Yes I am going to Speak with Lesley tomorrow and clarify, I don't think she will give me a straight answer but a ball park figure would be nice. At least u can budget for that. 

Two other options, learn to plug the holes yourself, or just melt them down!

Just now, BackyardBullion said:

Two other options, learn to plug the holes yourself, or just melt them down!

I will still be charged for the testing and assay? 

Must have a good chat later, but will keep you in the loop. I think Edinburgh Assay Office went from A NO to filling to a let me see. 

I wouldn't know where to start on filling?? Have you done it? Seriously I have NO CLUE. 

And I would probably need to buy a micro torch to smelt that one bit down after hammering in a piece of silver. Could be a shady practice.   I can already see a loophole and potentially crime waiting to happen. After all they already hallmarked it.