• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Numismatic Coin Collectors Must See This

Attilio

Apparently 90% of numismatic coins are flops from a investment perspective.Here is a guy with a very small youtube channel.But he is giving BIG advice.

If you like a numismatic coin,then buy it for your own personal pleasure,don't expect to make a profit on it.

Some of you will say yes but there is Ebay and yes if you have the right coins you can do well.It is a talent spotting (sorry I used the S word) coins which will be highly collectable in the future.

I wouldn't touch a Koala with a barge pole,you need to look off the beaten track for the gems. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjiNBv8EBFE

5 minutes ago, Sherabnamdhak said:

Sorry but this guy is talking Silver and modern. I could go one but I am bored already 

This is the Silver forum.Are you collecting Ancient Roman Gold coins?

Interesting that he got a flat decline when trying to sell back!

Confirms my plan of buying cheap bullion silver and fractional gold rather than graded coins that could tone / spot.

I have coins I bought because we like them, the Marvel series for example but they are still just premium ungraded bullion coins.

57 minutes ago, mikeiones32 said:

Interesting that he got a flat decline when trying to sell back!

Confirms my plan of buying cheap bullion silver and fractional gold rather than graded coins that could tone / spot.

I have coins I bought because we like them, the Marvel series for example but they are still just premium ungraded bullion coins.

Yes only when they want to flog you their over priced coins they are so pleased to see you,your plan is good,and buy what you enjoy.

In my reply to a newbie on advice for collecting on another thread, i said to be careful with proof silver. Spotting will ruin the coin. i forgot to include graded coins. Having coins graded may add value to your special coins but buying them - you are paying a top price. i have never bought a graded coin.

This leaflet promoting the high relief proof 5oz Wedge Tailed Eagle is like the adverts for special commemorative coins you might see in the Sunday papers colour supplements. You pay top dollar. It is an area we have discussed before, it is a trap those thinking with their heart and not their head fall into. A message worth repeating.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

4 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

Semi-numismatic silver is a sensible ploy, but only if you can buy it for the same price, or very slightly above, the price of regular bullion.

Yes this is true,the 10oz Queens Beasts is my guilty pleasure.

I spend a lot of time looking at eBay auctions seeing how certain items do. One thing I consistently see is these proof coins selling for dramatically less on an eBay auction than what their original RRP was. One of the best examples that I bought was a 2oz RCM coin that they currently sell for $169.95 (CAD - Approx £101) that I bought on auction for just under £32 including shipping. I could give many other examples of coins I have in my own collection or others that I've just seen end without bidding on. Some of the new proof silver coins unquestionably do well but even those I would be wary of in the long term. The subject matter which might make a coin popular and in demand today might not be so popular tomorrow.

It is always sad when collectors become disillusioned with their endeavours.  I can’t help thinking that he would get more if he sold them individually – just as he bought them individually.

The initial premiums asked for graded or proof coins are often outrageous, and so it may not make sense to buy these when they are brand new.

Silver does seem to have a particular problem when it comes to spotting and toning.   Victorian coins can look beautiful if they are attractively toned, but I have been surprised how easily and quickly modern coins can tone.

This is a 1996 US silver dollar which I bought when new whilst I was on a trip to New York.  I put it in a drawer and left it for a number of years.  You can’t imagine how shocked I was when I rediscovered it with its unsightly toning. 

image.png.a77c1c0c446241b90cbc5dbb60bc70c4.png

image.png.b64cabc4c8f554f12fb51dc81b917458.png

So, when I started to collect coins seriously, I have tended to stick with gold coins.  The only premium silver coin I have bought has been the 2013 birth of Prince George crown (and I was not lucky enough to get it at the issue price), simply because I liked the design.

2 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

Semi-numismatic silver is a sensible ploy, but only if you can buy it for the same price, or very slightly above, the price of regular bullion.

Are there any particular pros and cons to consider in the respect regarding size of coin? For example 10 oz over 2 oz QB's (assuming price per oz is the same/very similar)? 

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Are there any particular pros and cons to consider in the respect regarding size of coin? For example 10 oz over 2 oz QB's (assuming price per oz is the same/very similar)? 

Personally I never consider anything larger than a 2 oz silver coin, if buyng in the hope of selling at a profit.

30 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I went for the 10 oz QBs  I like the size, and they are cheaper per ounce than the smaller sizes.

18 minutes ago, mikeiones32 said:

Could that have been prevented if the coin was in a capsule though and protected from air / moisture?

Not a criticism - just a question...

The guy in the video that I posted had his graded ,sprinkled with NGC fairy dust, then slabbed, and they still tarnished. 

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

I can’t help thinking that he would get more if he sold them individually

One of the rejection letters was from an  ebay buy back ponzi  scheme. You see they are so happy to take your money with the minimum effort on their part.

Can you imagine the time and effort involved to sell that lot individually. and anyway someone else who posted on this thread, who does keep an eye on Ebay prices says you don't get what you payed for it.

I stopped buying modern numismatic silver proof coins some time ago for this reason. Had some RM proofs kept in capsule and stored in perfect environment, had a look one year later and covered in spots.

On the other hand i have few other coins are perfect after many years, both in capsules and slabs.

So i guess it is pot luck, if they are going to degrade they will do it in a capsule or a slab and there is not much that you can do about it other than keep them cool and dry.

The RM silver QB bullion coins are always going to be a good silver coin to buy, very attractive designs good on the eye but with a relatively low premium. RM silver proof coins have a massive premium so if they degrade you have a lot to loose.

8 minutes ago, Fivepoundfred said:

I stopped buying silver proof coins some time ago for this reason. Had some RM proofs kept in capsule and stored in perfect environment, had a look one year later and covered in spots.

On the other hand i have few other coins are perfect after many years, both in capsules and slabs.

So i guess it is pot luck, if they are going to degrade they will do it in a capsule or a slab and there is not much that you can do about it other than keep them cool and dry.

I think a lot of collectors will have trouble keeping themselves cool and dry,as they watch thousands of pounds worth of numismatics turned into fancy looking bullion.

2 hours ago, mikeiones32 said:

Could that have been prevented if the coin was in a capsule though and protected from air / moisture?

Not a criticism - just a question...

My silver dollar was just kept in a plastic coin holder that was not airtight.  But I also bought a 1990 proof silver dollar (a few years earlier) which was in an airtight capsule and it exhibits no toning.  The storage instructions are for it to be kept in a cool dry place.

I would think that toning really isn't that big of a deal.  Milk spotting on the other hand tends to kill the premium value.  The issue is the jacked up premiums for modern silver graded coins that were minted in the millions!  To some extent, I can understand grading and certification of numismatic coins, but modern silver bullion/proof stuff, not so much.  In modern bullion/semi-numi coins there are 3 "pricing structures":  1) spot value - all of them will be worth spot and coin be sold right around spot (sometimes a little more) to almost anyone - stackers, collectors, and dealers who may deal in bullion; 2) The numismatic premium - how rare, how desirable, etc - when selling you can usually only recover this premium if selling to collectors.  Dealers usually won't pay anywhere near it unless they have a customer they can readily sell it to.  Stackers usually won't pay the numismatic premium price since they want more silver for their money.  The good news is that there is a good collector market for raw semi-numismatic coins.  It may take a while, but you can usually find a buyer if you have the coin priced competitively.  Finally, 3) the graded numismatic premium - frankly, this feels like a huge gamble to me.  The premiums on graded coins are astronomical and the collector base for these coins is so low that you have to both purchase the perfect coin that becomes hot and time the market perfectly to sell in order to make any money at all. 

The video has great advice.  Don't buy graded modern silver.  As a general rule, the only people that make any money off of it are the grading companies and the big companies who market it.  If you like the graded stuff and want to collect it, have at it, but do so with the expectation that you will probably never get the graded numismatic premium back.

57 minutes ago, SilverTanner said:

The title of this thread had me worried as I view my 'numismatic' coins as part of my pension - most are between 150 and 300 years old and the silver tends to come already toned, no milk spots though😄

If you don't mind me asking, what is your exit plan?  Will you be trying to sell all at once or will you be doing the legwork yourself and try to sell it piecemeal to maximize your profits?  

I've become quite mindful of this issue recently.  Its not reasonable to expect you can sell on premium product in bulk and keep all that premium.  The dealer wants to make money and the full premium is his target price, less costs, shipping, some profit margin.  So your target price has to be that much lower, or get selling yourself directly.  With graded modern silver you have the added problem of the cost of grading probably isnt covered by the increase premium.

Archived